Author Topic: Mystery picture found near site of Canadian plane crash in Wales...who is he?  (Read 140047 times)

Offline chinakay

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Our housegoof
    • View Profile
Re: Mystery picture found near site of Canadian plane crash in Wales...who is he?
« Reply #279 on: Saturday 23 January 16 21:47 GMT (UK) »
Hi Alison, welcome to Rootschat!

Interesting, hadn't seen the group photo before. One of the crew isn't in it, Villeneuve. I still think it's Villeneuve  :)

Cheers,
China
Moore/Paterson~Montreal
Moore/Addison~New Brunswick
Jubb/Kerr~Mirfield~Halifax~Moffatt
Williams~Dolwyddelan

King~Bedfordshire~Hull
Jenkins~Somerset
Sellers~Hull

Offline geordie212

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Mystery picture found near site of Canadian plane crash in Wales...who is he?
« Reply #280 on: Saturday 23 January 16 22:24 GMT (UK) »
Hi China,
I think you are right. I found an enlargement of the group photo in this newspaper article
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/travel/article-2457447/A-touching-tribute-The-tragic-Second-World-War-crash-sites-hidden-Welsh-hills.html

Offline J.J.

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census Crown © www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #281 on: Sunday 24 January 16 08:51 GMT (UK) »
Caroline had found that photo way back at the beginning...I recognize it well since I spent many hours cleaning up that and other images.   :) J.J.

p.s. Caron was not on the flight... Here is a link to the other thread with the image
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=104577.msg448810#msg448810

p.p.s. I wonder if anyone ever checked with Caron's family to see if that was an image of his younger brother? We all thought that was who he resembled most...
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner" J.J.

Canadian  census  transcribed  data  ©2005 www.AutomatedGenealogy.com

Offline geordie212

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #282 on: Sunday 24 January 16 12:41 GMT (UK) »
There is a military Museum in Manitoba (Canada) which put out the book "They Shall Grow Not Old". It lists the 18,000 + airmen and women who died overseas in WWII, there are no personal photos in the book but they might have access to records with photos on them.

Would you like me to pass the message & photo on to them and see if they can help?

Alison

Offline geordie212

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #283 on: Sunday 24 January 16 14:44 GMT (UK) »
Hi
A friend  (very knowledgeable about RCAF) just found this photo on Canadian Virtual War Memorial and she thinks it is probably Gaston Caron, someone had the photo because Caron was not on that flight.

Alison

Offline chinakay

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Our housegoof
    • View Profile
« Reply #284 on: Sunday 24 January 16 17:28 GMT (UK) »
Jules Villeneuve, RCAF and Jacques Villeneuve, Formula-1 driver. I think he's a great nephew or something.
Moore/Paterson~Montreal
Williams~Dolwyddelan

King~Bedfordshire~Hull
Jenkins~Somerset
Sellers~Hull

Offline chinakay

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Our housegoof
    • View Profile
« Reply #285 on: Sunday 24 January 16 17:29 GMT (UK) »
I remember that photo now, JJ. Sorry :P :)
Moore/Paterson~Montreal
Williams~Dolwyddelan

King~Bedfordshire~Hull
Jenkins~Somerset
Sellers~Hull

Offline geordie212

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #286 on: Sunday 24 January 16 17:43 GMT (UK) »
seems to have similar facial features. Wouldn't it be wonderful to know for sure.
Alison

Offline J.J.

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census Crown © www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #287 on: Sunday 24 January 16 18:01 GMT (UK) »
Not at all China! I'd not have known remembered myself had I not worked on the images!

There certainly is a great deal of similarity in the two images you posted.....I remember seeing the image of the furmula one driver, so this was probably discussed before as well, was it?... ;D
Too long a thread to check. J.J.

"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner" J.J.

Canadian  census  transcribed  data  ©2005 www.AutomatedGenealogy.com