Author Topic: Masham Parish Records- Luke Jones  (Read 2202 times)

Offline doreen gall

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Masham Parish Records- Luke Jones
« on: Sunday 30 October 05 11:38 GMT (UK) »
I'm looking for the birth/christ of Luke Jones born Masham
1784. His place of birth was found on the 1851 census in the Horton area of Bradford.

Can anyone search the records of Masham Parish for Luke and any possible family members, siblings and parents are unknown.

Anything about Luke would be appreciated.

Regards
Doreen.
Middlbie, Canobie, Dfs -
Buchanan, Blacklock, Bell, Davidson, Jackson, Little, Oven
Liverpool / Ireland,
Redmond,
Yorkshire / Liverpool, Jones, Pierce, Kerwin

Offline PER

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: Masham Parish Records- Luke Jones
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 04 February 06 23:41 GMT (UK) »
answered off list

Paula
Check out my surname interests, locations and gedmatch ref at - https://www.wikitree.com/wiki/Round-218 covering most county's in England; also Nova Scotia, Canada and Switzerland.

Offline sheepy19

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 15 August 17 15:26 BST (UK) »
I'm looking for the birth/christ of Luke Jones born Masham
1784. His place of birth was found on the 1851 census in the Horton area of Bradford.

Can anyone search the records of Masham Parish for Luke and any possible family members, siblings and parents are unknown.

Anything about Luke would be appreciated.

Regards
Doreen.

Hi Doreen, not sure you'll read this after 12 years! but i just started doing my family tree and I think Luke Jones was also my great x4 grandfather (also my name!) so just wanted to know if you ever found out any more about him?

Cheers

Luke

Offline chempat

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 15 August 17 22:37 BST (UK) »
Welcome to rootschat, Luke.

Unfortunately Doreen has not used these boards since 2010, so probably not expecting any messages on them.  But if she still has the same email address she should be notified.

Good Luck.

Offline davidft

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 15 August 17 22:50 BST (UK) »
There is not a lot of coverage of Masham records online. However the Yorkshire Parish Register Society has transcribed the records 1599-1837 in three volumes as explained here -

http://www.genuki.org.uk/big/eng/YKS/NRY/Masham/MashamPRlocation

http://yorkshireparishregisters.com/index.asp?function=search

and I can confirm they are very good having used them myself
James Stott c1775-1850. James was born in Yorkshire but where? He was a stonemason and married Elizabeth Archer (nee Nicholson) in 1794 at Ripon. They lived thereafter in Masham. If anyone has any suggestions or leads as to his birthplace I would be interested to know. I have searched for it for years without success. Thank you.

Offline sheepy19

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 27 August 17 11:47 BST (UK) »
Cheers David. Yes they do have parish records there for £20. Quite expensive as a punt but good to know its there :)

Offline davidft

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 22 November 17 18:22 GMT (UK) »
Sheepy19

I don't know if you got anywhere with this but I have had a look at the records today and there is not much information there.

On 19 February 1787 Luke Jones of Ellingstring was baptised at Masham the illegitimate son of Mary Jones. The only other Jones in the Masham records from 1717-1837 is a William Jones who was a witness to a marriage on 19 November 1781. Despite the marriage being of one of my ancestors I do not know any more about William.

I guess the next step would be to see if you could find Luke's marriage and if there is any genealogical data attached ( a remote chance).
James Stott c1775-1850. James was born in Yorkshire but where? He was a stonemason and married Elizabeth Archer (nee Nicholson) in 1794 at Ripon. They lived thereafter in Masham. If anyone has any suggestions or leads as to his birthplace I would be interested to know. I have searched for it for years without success. Thank you.

Offline sheepy19

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 22 November 17 21:16 GMT (UK) »
Wow, thanks David. There is a slight chance this could be the father of Mary.(or relative)
I knew his mother was Mary, and thought that may be the end of the line. As for Luke, it seems he lived a tough but interesting life. He married in 1809 in Askham Richard, near York, so I assume he got sent to the Poorhouses there. He then moved around to Leeds, York and Bradford as a Huxter and ended up in Bradford for the rest of his days at a workhouse, with his daughter until his death in 1857. No more clues back to Masham. One of his sons, escaped poverty in Bradford and was a Cooper who moved to Liverpool where I'm from. but I'm still not 100% they're the same person as my grandfather.
I'll keep searching for more clues :)

Luke Jones.