Author Topic: Three Sullivan Families - all from Kerry  (Read 17025 times)

Offline Norma

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Three Sullivan Families - all from Kerry
« on: Sunday 04 January 04 00:44 GMT (UK) »
I am searching for Daniel Sullivan born around 1829 in Cahersiveen, County Kerry, son of Timothy Sullivan and Ellen Driscoll.
He married in Conn. a year or two after he arrived in the US of A - Bridget Sullivan, born abt. 1828, daughter of Cornelius Sullivan and Mary Kelly all of County Kerry - possibly Cahersiveen.
Timothy's daughter Mary, married Michael Sullivan - called Micky Owen in Colchester, Connecticut and from County Kerry.
Searching - Sullivan, in Colchester, Connecticut, USA
Cahirseveen, County Kerry, in Ireland

Offline moscan

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • The next generation
    • View Profile
Re: Three Sullivan Families - all from Kerry
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 07 November 04 00:09 GMT (UK) »
I too have Sullivan's in my Tree and they are from Cahirciveen too... but am not back as far as your good self... my earliest Sullivan is a Daniel Sullivan born Abt. 1859 he married Mary Neil in 1891... Daniels Father was a Patrick Sullivan again from Cahirciveen but have no dates for him.. the local priest was helpful to me with regards to access to the parish records but unfortunately Daniel (or Donal ) Sullivan is a very common local name...

Best Wishes

Mo
All census look up transcriptions are Crown Copyright<br /><br />Researching: - Freear, Walker, Aston, Scanlan, Courtney, Lowth, O’Sulivan, McDonnell, Condon, McMahon, McKay, Brock, Gourlay, Busby<br /><br />Locations: - March in Cambridgeshire, Banbury in Oxfordshire, Mileham in Norfolk, Worcester, Evesham, Claines in Worcestershire, Birmingham. Dublin, Cork, Fermanagh in Ireland.  Glasgow, Stirling in Scotland

Offline Norma

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 07 November 04 00:36 GMT (UK) »
Well, I wish you better luck in your research then I have been having.   The name Daniel Sullivan is as common as John Smith or Jane Doe.
I have had no luck with the parish (Daniel O'Connell) - all they told me was that, that Parish was not in existance in 1829, but failed to tell me what Parish's were available in those years.

Offline moscan

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • The next generation
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 08 November 04 08:57 GMT (UK) »
The records of Births and Marriages for Cahirciveen start around 1845 before that i have to admit that I am not 100% sure as to which parishthey would have fallen into .. I do have a list of the parishes in Kerry and would happily pass them on to you with what records they hold.

Mo
All census look up transcriptions are Crown Copyright<br /><br />Researching: - Freear, Walker, Aston, Scanlan, Courtney, Lowth, O’Sulivan, McDonnell, Condon, McMahon, McKay, Brock, Gourlay, Busby<br /><br />Locations: - March in Cambridgeshire, Banbury in Oxfordshire, Mileham in Norfolk, Worcester, Evesham, Claines in Worcestershire, Birmingham. Dublin, Cork, Fermanagh in Ireland.  Glasgow, Stirling in Scotland

Offline Norma

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 08 November 04 11:10 GMT (UK) »
I would appreciate that very much.   You may post them here on the site or if you prefer, you can email them to me at:

(*) Moderator Comment: e-mail removed in accordance with RootsChat policy,
to avoid spamming and other abuses.
Please use the Personal Message (PM) system for exchanging personal data.

New members must make at least three postings before being allowed to use the PM facility.
See Help-Page:  http://www.rootschat.com/help/pms.php

Offline Norma

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 14 March 06 23:49 GMT (UK) »
Latest information has it that they probably married in Ireland - Cahersiveen, around 1853 and had a daughter Mary in 1854.  It was around that time they migrated to the US.   Second daughter Ellen was born in the States in 1856

Offline Norma

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 29 May 07 21:36 BST (UK) »
Did I mention that Daniel Sullivan went by the nickname Sore Eye Dan.   He worked at the Rubber Mills in Colchester, Ct. with another Daniel Sullivan who did not use a nickname.

Offline jila

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Sullivan meaning
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 28 June 08 17:39 BST (UK) »
Someone told me that Sullivan means= Sore Eye Dan- (perhaps they were joking??)

Offline Norma

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 28 June 08 18:17 BST (UK) »
I have no clue, but worth checking out!!!! ???