Author Topic: 1836 Marriage in Radford, Nottingham  (Read 4249 times)

Offline skylark

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
1836 Marriage in Radford, Nottingham
« on: Sunday 30 October 05 16:24 GMT (UK) »
Rebecca Dabell married John Bannister 26 May 1836 Radford Nottingham - can anyone, please, tell me whether she was a widow?
"This information Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk"

Ensor, Bradley, Cooper, Beard, Boothby, Willey, Maryon.

Offline Jane Eden

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: 1836 Marriage in Radford, Nottingham
« Reply #1 on: Monday 31 October 05 07:12 GMT (UK) »
Hi

A William Dabell married Rebecca Banks at Radford 15.6.1829.

A William Dabell age 33 Chandlers Lane Nottm St Mary was buried 5.4.1833.

Both from Nottm Fam Hist Soc BMD CDs.

I don't know if they are the right people though.

Jane
Notts: Burrows, Comery, Foster, Beeson.
Derbys: Burrows, Comery, Smith  Lincs: King. 

Information contained within Census Lookups is Crown Copyright:  www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline skylark

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 31 October 05 09:35 GMT (UK) »
Thank you Jane - I have that information.  My problem came when I was looking for their daughter Eliza Banks Dabell on the 1851 census - no where to be found.  But there is an Eliza Bannister, right age, living with her parents Rebecca and John Bannister in Butcher Street Nottingham. 

Rebecca Dabell married John Bannister 26 May 1836.  Their marriage took place after the birth of Eliza, so it is pretty certain that this is my Eliza Banks Dabell.  If Rebecca was a widow at the time of the marriage then that would clinch it!

The 1841 census return might help.

Offline Jane Eden

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 31 October 05 18:45 GMT (UK) »
Hi Skylark

I know someone on Rootschat that has done tons of research on Dabell in Nottingham. I will PM her now to bring this to her attention and see if she can help.

Jane
Notts: Burrows, Comery, Foster, Beeson.
Derbys: Burrows, Comery, Smith  Lincs: King. 

Information contained within Census Lookups is Crown Copyright:  www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline JillJ

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 31 October 05 20:15 GMT (UK) »

I know someone on Rootschat that has done tons of research on Dabell in Nottingham.

Hi Skylark,

That's me!  I have just gone through my database with a fine tooth comb and unfortunately this one is not there.   I have also looked on the Phillimore Marriages cd, but that only goes up to 1812 in Radford, sorry!

It looks a pretty sure thing from the information you already have but I suppose the only way to be certain is to look at the actual register of the marriage between Rebecca and John to see if it says she was a widow.  When searching the Dabell name bear in mind that I have so far found about 35 different spelling variants!

Do you have any more information about William Dabell, i.e. who his parents were or his date of birth?   I have quite a few Williams on the database but none married to Rebecca, but I could look again armed with that information to see if I have a death without a marriage.

Jill
Jowett & Broadbent in Leeds.
Perry, Hartshorn/e & Wilkes in Birmingham & Dudley. Walker and Dabill in Sheffield & Notts.
Farrar in Darlington & Leeds.
Kidd & Taylor in Hartlepool & Teesside
Census information is crown copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline skylark

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 31 October 05 20:55 GMT (UK) »
Well, thank you for your interest.  I have had a closer look at Eliza Banks Dabell's marriage certificate ( she married Charles Willey 16 Aug 1861) and her place of residence, at the time, was Queen's Road Nottingham.

On the 1861 census for Rebecca Bannister, she lived with her husband and children at, you've guessed it, 11 QUEENS ROAD (Queen's Arms) Nottingham.  So this MUST be my Eliza's mother.

Eliza's father, was William and he died and was buried 5 April 1833 aged 33.  He was licensee of P.H. Prince Blucher in Chandler's Street from 1830 and in Glovers Nottingham Directory for 1825, William was a Liquor Merchant (Porter only) in Clumber Street.

This is all I know of William Dabell, for certain, he would have been my husband's gg grandfather and we would love to know who his parents were.

Offline JillJ

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 31 October 05 21:58 GMT (UK) »
Hi

Well I'm pleased you've got that sorted!

I've just had a quick look on the Notts. FHS Baptisms cd for a baptism for William, again without success, but as I said before, there are so many different spelling variants you get dizzy!

What I can tell you is that there seem to have been two separate lots of the family - those that were born and lived in Nottingham and those in the villages.   My lot are mostly in villages and I would bet my bottom dollar yours are the town!

I found your reference to Clumber Street interesting.  I don't know if you know Nottingham at all, but Clumber Street is where the Victoria Shopping Centre is now and I have come across quite a few Dabells in both Clumber Street and York Street.  One of mine was in lodgings in York Street whilst serving an apprenticeship and married a girl whose father was a chandler in that area - probably on Chandler's Street - you say there was one!

Good luck with your search and if you think there is any way I can help please come back to me.

Jill

Jowett & Broadbent in Leeds.
Perry, Hartshorn/e & Wilkes in Birmingham & Dudley. Walker and Dabill in Sheffield & Notts.
Farrar in Darlington & Leeds.
Kidd & Taylor in Hartlepool & Teesside
Census information is crown copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk