Author Topic: 1841 census check please.  (Read 867 times)

Offline smuckerooney

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
1841 census check please.
« on: Sunday 30 October 05 22:06 GMT (UK) »
Would SKS do an 1841 census check please.  As usual, I'll give the info first and then a couple of questions:-

Rebecca GARDNER dob 22 Nov 1836 Dover Kent to William and Frances GARDNER
One of her sisters named Alice died a year after being born in 1824. The Burials Register kept at Dover referred to the death taking place at 'the back of Biggin Street, Dover'
This reference to Biggin Street may be of assistance in an 1841 check but I was informed that the family had moved away from there.  I believe the inference was away from Biggin Street as opposed to Dover.  In fact William was still there in further census returns as a victualer.
Would this snippet be of any assistance?
Oh, and by the way, I think Rebecca must have vanished, I can't find her after the birth date.......... :'(

yours aye

Rog from dreech Glasgow ;D
REDDICK....Kent - Middlesex - Surrey - Sussex

GARDINER - HAINES -  LAMBKIN - PRICE  WALTER...Kent

Offline Bill749

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • over 70 and still wearin' genes!
    • View Profile
Re: 1841 census check please.
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 30 October 05 23:38 GMT (UK) »
Hi Rog

I'm puzzled by the "back of Biggin Street" location in the burial register - was this their residence at the time, or the place of death?  Biggin Street is the main thoroughfare through the town towards Canterbury and London and one of the main commercial streets in the town.

Is there any reference to the cause of death?

In which cemetery did the burial take place?

Do you have a place of birth or a baptism reference for Rebecca or Alice?

Where was William in the later census?

If you can answer some or all of these questions it might help to pinpoint the family on the census.  I can have a look at the parish registers for some more information on the family if you know which parish they belonged to, then look up the census to find the family.

Regards, Bill
Banks, Beer, Bowes, Castle, Cloak, Coachworth, Dixon, Farr, Golder, Graves, Hicks, Hogbin, Holmans, Marsh, Mummery, Nutting, Pierce, Rouse, Sawyer, Sharp, Snell, Willis: mostly in East Kent.
Ey, Sawyer: London
Evans: Ystradgynlais, Wales
Snell: Snettisham, Norfolk
Knight, Burgess, Ellis: Hampshire
Purdy: Ireland/Canada/Durham/Pennsylvania
McCann: Ireland
Morrow: Pennsylvania
Sparnon: any
Beers, Heath, Conyers, Miller, Russell, Larson, Clark, Sibert, Hopper, Reinhart: USA

Offline smuckerooney

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: 1841 census check please.
« Reply #2 on: Monday 31 October 05 09:59 GMT (UK) »
Hi Bill,
         Many thanks for your offer of assistance, if possible.  I will pass on as much relevant information as I have

"I'm puzzled by the "back of Biggin Street" location in the burial register - was this their residence at the time, or the place of death"? 
There was no other forthcoming information on the matter.  I was left to make an assumption that it was their address and that the baby died near to it.  The record is silent on the matter

"Is there any reference to the cause of death"?
No reference at all from the information I had received from Dover Library

"In which cemetery did the burial take place"?
Due to the fact she was baptised at St Mary the Virgin I assume she would have been buried there.

"Do you have a place of birth or a baptism reference for Rebecca or Alice"?
Rebecca and all her siblings were baptised in St Mary the Virgin.  Rebecca's was on 2 Apr 1837

"Where was William in the later census"?
I can't find William at all.  The whole family appears to have moved from the area.

Bill, I'm afraid that is all I have at the moment.  Please don't give this any priority, in your own good time ;D

Many thanks

Rog from sunny Glasgow.

REDDICK....Kent - Middlesex - Surrey - Sussex

GARDINER - HAINES -  LAMBKIN - PRICE  WALTER...Kent