Author Topic: O’Brien and Hourihane families  (Read 19495 times)

Offline hourihane

• RootsChat Member
  • Wynston of Tre-Wyn
    • View Profile
O’Brien and Hourihane families
« on: Monday 31 October 05 10:24 GMT (UK) »
Hi
To all Hourihane and O’Brien families I had a email from a lady who told me that an Irish 'genealogist' told her that all 'Hourihan/e's from West Cork would originally have been 'O'Brien's'. As Hourihan was a 'sept' name -used for a particular branch of O’Brien’s if this is true and can anyone give me any more details.

Offline Christopher

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • 1939 - 2009
    • View Profile
Re: O’Brien and Hourihane families
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 12 December 06 18:59 GMT (UK) »
Hiya hourihane,

Life would be a lot easier if people would quote their sources instead of giving bits and pieces of information gathered here and there. Did the Irish genealogist quote her source to the lady who sent the email to you? If she did has the lady a note of the source. I've looked at a couple of sites to see if I can find a mention of it with no success to date. I got this information on O'Hourihan ... Ó hAnradháin which is also anglicised O’Hourihan from IrishGen.com

Best Wishes,

Christopher

Offline hourihane

• RootsChat Member
  • Wynston of Tre-Wyn
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 12 December 06 20:10 GMT (UK) »
Hi Christopher
Thanks for your interest below is the actual email I received .

My cousin Shaun Bryan (now in Canada) made contact with John Hourihan/e of Dublin - from the message boards - about 3 yrs ago.  We learnt his ancestor's b cert showed  'Hourihane-O'Brien' -showing that the name had been shortened.
An Irish 'genealogist' (Fahy) told me that all 'Hourihan/e's from West Cork would've originally been 'O'Brien's' as Hourihan was a 'sept' name -used for a particular branch of O'Briens.

Offline skibbgirl

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 13 December 15 18:14 GMT (UK) »
Hi all, 

Just thought I'd update this thread.  The joint DNA project that includes the surname Hourihane was launched in 2012. We have Hourihane project members with west Cork ancestry and we are waiting for results from a fourth member.

So far, our Hourihane results show a deep ancestry that is called South Irish. O'Brien has historically been associated with a Dalcassian genetic signature, and the O'Brien DNA project shows many O'Brien testers categorized as such. Other than some surname agnomina, we don't know any more about O'Briens with Cork ancestry in terms of their deep genetic ancestry.

There is also Hourihane lore floating around west Cork that the Hourihanes had Co Clare ancestry.  The project is positioning itself to test that theory and is waiting for results of two Hanrahans with Co Clare ancestry, as well as a Tipperary result.

The Hanrahans in the project so far neither match the Hourihanes nor do they share the deep genetic ancestry of South Irish with the Hourihanes. Nor do these project members show a Dal Cais deep genetic ancestry.  We have many mysteries on our hands!

Three or four Hourihane samples hardly constitute a representative sample of Cork.  We could definitely use more samples - men descended from a Hourihane-O'Brien, men who were called Glassough, etc.  In "Cork Resources and Offers" I post an offer for Hourihane men. 

Our project website was remodeled this year.  http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~skibbgirl/HourihaneDNA/
PLEASE POST YOUR QUESTIONS TO THE BOARD, NOT THROUGH PM, so that everybody can take a shot at answering your question and benefit from the information.  I cannot respond to requests through private emails.

Barnane, Cahalane, Collins, Connolly, Driscoll, Hourihane, Hurley, Looney, McCarthy, Mahony, Sweeney, Young  in Skibbereen area of southwest County Cork, Ireland; Regan in RoaringWater bay area and in Caheragh parish

Offline chelan90

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 27 January 19 23:34 GMT (UK) »
I have two fairly distant Hourihane connections on FTDNA and three possible distant connections on Ancestry.

Assume you've seen this:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/5roa5ik4l7mvsbl/Irish%20Type%20II%20explored%20through%20U%C3%AD%20Chairpri%20Aebda%20(Rev%200).pdf?dl=0

Jack O'Brien

Offline chelan90

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 05 February 19 04:06 GMT (UK) »
To: VK (i cannot reply to PM)

Given the genetic distance with the Hourihanes on FTDNA I would estimate that my O'Brien/Hourihane connection was perhaps 300 years ago.  My earliest known O'Brien ancestor was Denis, born 1846, in Bandon, County Cork.

Jack O'Bien

Offline valerie kehoe

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 13 May 19 02:18 BST (UK) »
Hi Jack ...I can't remember if I responded to your earlier message … I've been away ..so thought I'd have another 'go' with my research..

You mention a 'Hourihane' connection with 'O'Brien' - which is my main interest!  An elderly (Bryan)relative told me that our name was originally 'Hourihan-O'Brien')…. 'from a long way back'.

My ggrandfather George Bryan was born 'John Brien' in Dunmanway 1829 - parents John & Mary Brien (nee Leary).

I have found one sibbling 'Michael Brien' born Bandon c1832 - he too settled in London c1850.

I have had some help from 'Ireland Reaching Out' - and now have other sibblings born in various (Cork) places - Annakissey etc etc.

I have some (unwanted) marriage certs (London) -a Mary Ann Brien's father was 'Dennis' (so not mine) .  (I think it was a popular name)

Can you see any possible link with my 'Michael' born Bandon to John & Mary (O) Brien (nee Leary)?

Unfortunately seems that DNA testing is more suited for male family members.

Valerie
WAustralia
Lond.//Kent/Surrey  Bryan  
Cork (Dunmanway) O'Brien
London//Lambeth    Small   Muggeridge 
L'pool /Preston.       Kehoe  McDonough  Coupe  
Suffolk                     Rowe   Mortimer   Mowle

Offline chelan90

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 13 May 19 04:29 BST (UK) »
Hi Valerie,

It's all frustrating because all I know is that

1. Denis O'Brien was born in Bandon in 1846.
2. His brother Cornelius was born within five years of 1846.  That's all I know about the O'Brien family in Ireland, so unfortunately do not recognize any of your names.
3. They emigrated to Conshohocken, Pennsylvania, US, around 1868.  There may have been other O'Briens in Conshohocken that preceded them, but I do not know who they were.
4. Hourihanes and my O'Briens are either related or were derived from each other, or both.  This may have happened 200-300 years ago.

Have you uploaded your DNA to any site?  I am on FTDNA, Geni, MyHeritage, gedmatch genesis, and Ancestry.  I am distantly related to Hourihanes on FTDNA and Ancestry, at least.  If you do use of of those sites, upload your DNA to gedmatch genesis, if you haven't done so, and I can probably find you if there is a relationship.

You do not have to be male for most of those sites.  For example, FTDNA has a Family Finder for everyone.  yDNA is for males, but mtDNA looks at female lines, although mutations are less frequent there.

Great talking with you.

Jack

Offline valerie kehoe

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 13 May 19 06:45 BST (UK) »
Thanks Jack.
I haven't had my DNA taken - yet.  I'm not sure whether I'd be good enough.  I seem to resemble my mother's side ... whereas a sister shows more of our Irish side.  (not sure if I'm making sense!)

I guess I need to give it more serious thought.  Do you think one testing Company is more preferable than others? ('Ancestry' &/or 'Find my Past')

Valerie
Lond.//Kent/Surrey  Bryan  
Cork (Dunmanway) O'Brien
London//Lambeth    Small   Muggeridge 
L'pool /Preston.       Kehoe  McDonough  Coupe  
Suffolk                     Rowe   Mortimer   Mowle