Author Topic: BOLUS/BOLAS, All  (Read 1632 times)

Offline Roncoach

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
BOLUS/BOLAS, All
« on: Wednesday 02 November 05 00:14 GMT (UK) »
Hi----my ancestors are in rural Warks (between B-ham and Coventry) in the 1700s. Later, a short interlude in B-ham (Aston); and, since 1830s: Willenhall, Staffs.
I have come across 2 seemingly quite separate originating  "strands" in my many years of research----the Warks/Worcs line (my own); and the Shrops line (usually spelt Bolas), which is quite unrelated.
I believe the name to originate from Old English words Bulle & Husse (Bull House----someone who owned or worked in the village bullhouse (where farmers paid to bring their cows for ....ermmm "treats"). I am "stuck" in Sheldon with my Great x4 for many years (I have his marriage parish entry in 1761-----but cannot find his birth details-----pity, because I'm fairly sure i know the line going back before his parents ....back to 1500s in Worcs). Any BOLUS/Bolas/Bullus/etc researchers......
Pleeeeeeeese (it's lonely  ;) ). TIA    RON BOLUS

RootsChat is the busiest, largest free family history forum site in the country. It is completely free to use. Register now.
Also register instantly with Facebook or Twitter (and other social networks). Start your genealogy search now.

Offline GrannyM

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: BOLUS/BOLAS, All
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 24 June 12 23:30 BST (UK) »
Hi, I am researching a Bolas branch from around the Whitchurch area....Ash Parva, Edgmond & Market Drayton. Pity we are not researching the same branch but it's good to know there are other Bolas/Bolus researchers out there! :D There doesn't seem to be many of us around!
Rigby-Lathom, Freckleton,
Singleton-Fylde
Moss-Rufford
Johnson-Tarleton
Hull-Tarleton, Fylde
French-Abram,Rainford
Blake-Upton in Cheshire
Bolas-Shropshire
Butler- Greenhalgh, Lancs
Harrison - Garstang, Lancs

RootsChat is the busiest, largest free family history forum site in the country. It is completely free to use. Register now.
Also register instantly with Facebook or Twitter (and other social networks). Start your genealogy search now.

Offline sparksss67

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: BOLUS/BOLAS, All
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 05 July 16 01:24 BST (UK) »
My gt gt gandfather was a William Bolus from Bedfordshire, born 1847, who ended up with a family in Dublin. 
Murphy, Broe, Canavan, Acton, Byrne - Wicklow.
Murray - Castlepollard
Murphy - Enfield
Redmond - Ballygarret