Author Topic: merioneth marriages  (Read 2537 times)

Offline john ashley

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
merioneth marriages
« on: Wednesday 02 November 05 20:09 GMT (UK) »
Hello Dolgellau =I lived at Dolgellau from 1945 to 1958 - I am seeking the marriage of Richard Williams and Ann ? around 1810 to 1820 - I believe both hailed from Llanfachreth. Also John Evans and Margaret ? around 1820 to 1830 - both thought to be from Llanuwchllyn. Any assistance would be much appreciated - John Ashley.
Census Information is Crown Copyright,from Nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Dolgellau

• -
  • RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: merioneth marriages
« Reply #1 on: Monday 07 November 05 00:19 GMT (UK) »
I can't find a Richard Williams and Ann in Llanfachreth between 1810 - 1820. There is no Richard Williams marrying an Ann in Dolgellau during that period either. The nearest that I can find is Richard Williams of Llanelltyd who Married Ann Evans of Llanelltyd by Licence at Llanelltyd church on 11 May 1810 (according to the marriage licence index at http://www.llgc.org.uk:81/index.htm she was a minor at the time of her marriage)

Unfortunately there are two John Evans and Margarets in Llanuwchllyn
John Evans of Llanuwchllyn Married Margaret Evans of Llanuwchllyn by banns on 13 May 1822.

John Evans of Llanuwchllyn married Margaret Roberts of Llanuwchllyn by banns on 6 November 1829.

Offline john ashley

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 07 November 05 15:29 GMT (UK) »
Many many thanks for your prompt reply - it could be that the Richard Williams you quote is the one that I am seeking and that they lived at Rhiw Felin,Llanfachreth after their marriage -  more research for me - the two possibilities you mention for Llanuwchllyn are interesting as a child was born in October 1829 and I know that it will be worthwhile to investigate further - I have some other gaps and will probably ask for further help in due course -  meanwhile I am most grateful for your assistance - Best wishes - John Ashley.

Offline Okiowen

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 02 February 16 05:48 GMT (UK) »
Hi John and Dolgellau,

I believe I`m descended from the John Evans and Margaret of Llanuwchllyn in this thread, who were married in 1822. My line is through their daughter Sarah, but they did have a son, Zecariah Evans, born in 1829 (and five other children).

It`s been a while since you both posted on this, I was just wondering if either of you had any further info on that family? The outlines of my research can be seen  here (click on a name to read more):

http://www.wikitree.com/genealogy/Evans-Descendants-9486

All the best,

Owen
Isaac Phillips - Dale, Pembrokeshire
John Phillips - Templeton (around 1768)
Lloyd - Freystrope before 1842
Fabian - Glamorgan
Mazey - Glamorgan
Atyeo - Somerset and Wales
Evans - Llanuwchllyn
Humphreys - Pantperthog/Corris
Watkins - Llanwnnog/Elerch
James - Nant-y-moch
Morgans - Elerch
Lloyd - Cerrigydrudion
Hart - Shropshire/Monmouthshire

Offline john ashley

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 02 February 16 10:20 GMT (UK) »
Hello Owen

Many thanks for this message.

I have developed this line and can confirm that our interest is through Zecharia.

I will study and review over next few days and come back to you

So pleased to hear from you. Megan and John Ashley in Caerphilly.

Offline Okiowen

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 03 February 16 01:34 GMT (UK) »
Hi Megan and John,

Great to be in touch with you.

With regards to Zecariah, you probably have the info already, but through Census addresses I was able to get old map and modern satellite images of the houses the family lived in at Ffrwd-y-brithyll and Ty'n-y-ceunant. Also, paper cuttings of an auction in 1875 where auctioneer Lewis Williams sold both houses to a Mr. Harries of Halesowen. They came up for auction again in 1900, but it seems there were no buyers on that occasion.

Owen (in Okinawa, Japan!)
Fabian - Glamorgan
Mazey - Glamorgan
Evans - Llanuwchllyn
James - Nant-y-moch
Morgans - Elerch
Lloyd - Cerrigydrudion
Hart - Shropshire/Monmouthshire

Offline john ashley

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 06 February 16 12:25 GMT (UK) »
Hello Owen
That was a surprise - in Japan - it is a long way from Wales

I have now examined all the information that you kindly made available and it confirms and adds to my knowledge. - particularly the births of the children of John and Margaret Evans.I was fascinated to read your Wikitree and will be looking further at that.  I notice that Thomas Harris was staying with them at the time of 1871 census and described as 61 Land Owner from Halesowen - details are on Genuki Wales and are by Doreen and John Jones who are great correspondents living in Canada.I am sure yuu are familiar with this site.

I would like to send you a copy of my notes which follow Zecharia onwards to Megan born 1932 in Dolgellau. I also have some information about Sarah Hughes.
I either need your E mail address or postal address.

So what are you doing in Okinawa ? Take care - Megan and John.

Offline Okiowen

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 06 February 16 12:52 GMT (UK) »
Hi Megan and John,

Before I forget, here`s my email!

okiowen@gmail.com

I`m glad to hear that you were able to get some confirming, and even new, info from my last mail.

I hadn`t realised that Thomas Harris who bought the buildings was also living with them in 1871 - I wonder if there is some family connection between them? I`ll have to have a look on Genuki.

I can`t wait to see your notes!

As for Okinawa, I arrived here from Barry in 1998 to teach English (and surf!), and I`ve been here ever since :-)

Thank you again for your message,

Owen
Fabian - Glamorgan
Mazey - Glamorgan
Evans - Llanuwchllyn
James - Nant-y-moch