Author Topic: Robert Douglas b Hawick died Dumfries?  (Read 4251 times)

Offline audrey

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Robert Douglas b Hawick died Dumfries?
« on: Wednesday 02 November 05 20:27 GMT (UK) »
looking for a conection with this family
Robert Douglas b Hawick 1801 parents unknown married Mary Scott b Ewes abt 1826 all Roberts info comes from census in Ewes,there is several Roberts on IGI but none born Hawick no death for Robert found

Mary SCOTT Douglas (widow of Robert Douglas, wood forrester) in the death records dated 15 Mar 1878, age 77 years.  It is witnessed by her son John.  Parents are listed as George Scott (shepherd) and Margaret MURRAY.  I could not find the death record for Robert Douglas, who died between 1851 and 1878  (but not in Dryfesdale).

I did find John Douglas in the 1871 and 1881 Census, still living in Dryfesdale.  He married Martha ROBISON in April 1868 in Gretna.  Martha's parents are listed as William ROBISON and Elizabeth SHARP.  Witnesses to the marriage were his brother, James Douglas, and her sister, Marion Robison.  In the 1871 Census Martha and John do not have any children, but a niece (Georgina DOUGLAS, age 14, born Wales) is staying with them.  In the 1881 Census, John is now an Estate Overseer, with a son (Robert, age 8, b: Dryfesdale) and a daughter (Elizabeth Sharp, age 4, b: Dryfesdale).  Also in the household is a servant and a 1 year old nephew (John Crighton ROBISON, b: Glasgow).
if anyone has further info on any of the above please get in touch

thanks

audrey

Offline Clare Fowler

• RootsChat Veteran
  • www.clarefowler.co.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Robert Douglas b Hawick died Dumfries?
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 03 November 05 11:44 GMT (UK) »
Hi there,

I don't have any further info,  but a further question...

On John Douglas' wedding certificate, is his father marked as deceased?  If not, then you can possibly narrow his death to between 1868 and 1878.  It might also help to try and locate them on the 1861 census as that is now available online.

Sorry it's not more direct info, but it might help you narrow it down a little :)

Cheers,
Clare
ELLIOT, CROZIER, HAY, AITCHISON, COWAN - Roxburghshire
BETT - Kinross-shire, Fife and Glasgow
CHAMBERS, BRUFF, WESTMACOTT - Glasgow
And many, many more...

Offline audrey

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 07 February 06 10:05 GMT (UK) »
I now have a death cert for the above
Robert Douglas he died in Dryfesdale 27/1/1864 age 70 years
father William Douglas [Shepherd]
mother Margaret Pott ? or Scott difficult to read
it gives his place of birth as Cavers Roxbugh the census have always stated place of birth Hawick I see from a map these two places are very close
1861 census for Dryfesdale gives age as 68
on this census he has a visitor
Mary Jackson age 70 retired Inn Keeper born Cavers
looked for a marriage for Robert Douglas to Mary Scott abt 1827 non found the eldest son William Douglas was born 1828 Ewes Dumfries as was his mother Mary Scott  I just don't know where to go from hear as I cant rely on census

audrey

Offline Clare Fowler

• RootsChat Veteran
  • www.clarefowler.co.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 21 February 06 10:32 GMT (UK) »
Hi Audrey,

This looks like a bit of a puzzle...  ???

So, we know that Robert Douglas died in Dumfriesshire in 1864, apparently aged 70. Place of birth given as Cavers, ROX.

So DOB = 1794, Place = Cavers, Parents = William Douglas and Margaret Pott/Scott

If 1861 census gives age as 68, then this gives a similar birth date.  Where did this list the date of birth?  Also, have you tracked him down in the 1841 and/or 1851?  What do these say for age and place of birth?

Sorry, I am asking more questions than giving answers, but I am trying to get my head around this so that I can start digging around to see if I can help  :)

Cheers,
Clare
And many, many more...

Offline audrey

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 21 February 06 11:02 GMT (UK) »
Clare
I now have the death certs for two of Roberts sisters they both died Pebble's
Mary Jackson [formally Douglas ]died 1871 age 79 born Roxburgh
Father William Douglas [shepherd]
mother Mary Pott[not Margret]
Elizabeth Dickson[formally Douglas]died 1887 age 82 born Dumfries
fathers details as above
mother Mary Pot
still can find no Marriage for
William Douglas to Mary Pott?
and I can not find a marriage for his son
Robert Douglas to Mary Scott Pos.Dumfries
thats all the new info I have it looks like William Douglas and his wife Mary Pott?were in Roxburgh when Robert & Mary  was born but later moved to Dumfries where Elizabeth was born

Thanks

audrey

Offline Clare Fowler

• RootsChat Veteran
  • www.clarefowler.co.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 21 February 06 11:10 GMT (UK) »
Hi,

I tried to search the OPRs on scotlandspeople to see if there were any births shown for the correct parents - not just Robert's birth.  Any that I found for a William Douglas and Margaret Scott were either around Glasgow or in Wilton, Roxburgh - but the names did not match.  There was nothing for William Douglas and Margaret Pott  :(

I think that there are 3 possibilities here.  Firstly, that the births, etc may have happened in England.  The border was not nearly as 'fixed' as it is today and I have seen various examples of people moving forwards and backwards across the border for work, etc, especially shepherds.  Secondly, they were never registered - which would not be helpful.  Or thirdly, they were not Church of Scotland when the births/marriages occurred, so would not be recorded in the OPRs - you would have to check the records of other churches in the area.

Sorry I am not more help.

Cheers,
Clare
And many, many more...