Author Topic: Stepney Address.  (Read 8863 times)

Offline dsandsue

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Stepney Address.
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 06 March 14 07:00 GMT (UK) »
Thanks a lot for that, Romilly, I'll check with the LMA next time I'm in England

Best wishes

Derek

Offline Romilly

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 06 March 14 08:36 GMT (UK) »

Hi Derek,

I've now had this reply from the LMA:

'We confirm that London Metropolitan Archives (LMA) holds some records of Southern Grove Lodge.  These include Admission and Discharge Registers, but only up to 2nd April 1956.  We also have 'Occurrence Books' (logbooks) up until 27th September 1957'

HTH, Romilly.
Any census information included in this post is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Researching:
Wilson, Warren, Dulston, Hooper, Duffin, Petty, Rees, Davies, Williams, Newman, Dyer, Hamilton, Edmeads, Pattenden.

Offline dsandsue

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 06 March 14 11:45 GMT (UK) »
wow, that's terrific...  really good to know... thanks so much
Derek

Offline Romilly

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Saturday 08 March 14 08:32 GMT (UK) »

Hi Again Derek,

I should add that I have now recieved this email from the LMA:

"We confirm that London Metropolitan Archives (LMA) holds some records of Southern Grove Lodge.  These include Admission and Discharge Registers, but only up to 2nd April 1956.  We also have 'Occurrence Books' (logbooks) up until 27th September 1957.
These types of records are subject to a period of restricted access under Data Protection legislation in order to protect the confidentiality of living individuals. It is therefore not possible for you to consult the records yourself. However if you are able to provide proof of the death of the individual concerned we are able to undertake the search on your behalf under our paid Family History Research Service.  Details of the service and an online application form are available on our website at  <http://www.cityoflondon.gov.uk/things-to-do/visiting-the-city/archives-and-city-history/london-metropolitan-archives/family-history/Pages/Family-History-Research-Service.aspx> http://www.cityoflondon.gov.uk/things-to-do/visiting-the-city/archives-and-city-history/london-metropolitan-archives/family-history/Pages/Family-History-Research-Service.aspx."

And so it looks like access to the records is restricted. I've written back requesting 'supervised access' to the records, - and will let you know how I get on.

Romilly.
Any census information included in this post is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Researching:
Wilson, Warren, Dulston, Hooper, Duffin, Petty, Rees, Davies, Williams, Newman, Dyer, Hamilton, Edmeads, Pattenden.

Offline dsandsue

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Saturday 08 March 14 09:39 GMT (UK) »
oh dear...  I've looked at their charges.. a minimum of fifty pounds seems a bit steep...  I'm interested in my great-grandfather, Isaac Levy, who died 5th May 1943 in the St George in the East Hospital, but the death certificate shows his address as Southern Grove House, so obviously I'd like to see the record of his admission, and anything else relevant...since he had to go to hospital (aged 77) there's a chance that this might be recorded in one of their Occurrence Books...so it looks as if I could find some solid information, which I'd much rather look at myself rather than use their (expensive) services...  BUT I didn't see the option of "supervised access" on their website...  since I'm a registered reader, and quite used to handling old records, I would also like "supervised access" - so would be very interested in hearing how you get on.... 

And I really appreciate your kindness in these updates....

Best wishes

Derek

Offline Romilly

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Saturday 08 March 14 15:01 GMT (UK) »
Hi Again Derek,

I'd agree that the £50 (Minimum) Fee seems a bit steep. Especially when we have researched to get to this point, and have located where the records are located.

However, no doubt they have their reasons...

I will update you when I have heard back. Btw, you might find this Link of interest, - it has photos and info about Southern Grove prior to it's re-development:

http://www.rootschat.com/links/0ycz/

Best Wishes, Romilly.
Researching:

Offline dsandsue

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Saturday 08 March 14 16:46 GMT (UK) »
....thanks for the link to the document..fascinating!... it certainly puts Southern Grove into context....  looking forward to hearing how the LMA respond....

Derek

Offline dsandsue

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Saturday 08 March 14 17:01 GMT (UK) »
By the way, I also found the following on Google, just in case you haven't seen it:
http://www.mile-end-residents.co.uk/the-south-grove-workhouse/

Derek

Offline Romilly

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Sunday 09 March 14 17:19 GMT (UK) »
By the way, I also found the following on Google, just in case you haven't seen it:
http://www.mile-end-residents.co.uk/the-south-grove-workhouse/
Derek

Yes thanks I'd seen that one.

Btw, have you found your GreatGrandfather on the various Censuses?
Romilly.
Researching: