Author Topic: BLUESTONE par Seagoe, Methodism in 1750-1770  (Read 7432 times)

Offline Keith Sherwood

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • The grass covers and the rain effaces. Victor Hugo
    • View Profile
BLUESTONE par Seagoe, Methodism in 1750-1770
« on: Monday 07 November 05 16:57 GMT (UK) »
Hi, Everyone,
My very first posting on the Armagh site, but would anyone know of any links about the formative years of Methodism at "Bluestone par Seagoe" from about 1750...?
I have been looking into the life of an English (born in Yorkshire) ancestor of mine, James Kershaw, who apparently started up a Methodist movement here in 1750.
He married a local farmer's daughter called "Miss Dynes", and they had a daughter, but his wife died soon afterwards and James returned to England leaving his daughter with her grandmother.
Seventeen years later this same daughter revived Methodism before going to England herself.
Is there any kind of a chapel or evidence surviving today of any of this early Methodism, or perhaps some local literature on the subject...?
Very best wishes,
keith
p.s. Have I even got the correct County for my query?

Offline scotmum

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • A tree full of life, a life full of branches!
    • View Profile
Re: BLUESTONE par Seagoe, Methodism in 1750-1770
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 08 November 05 17:32 GMT (UK) »
Not much of help, I'm afraid, but thought you may be interested in something I found on another site. It was reference to Primative Methodist Churches existing in Ireland. "Early Methodists belonged to the Church of Ireland. In 1816 Wesleyan Methodists began founding their own churches. Primative Methodist continued to attend the established (C. of I.) church until 1878 when they united with the Wesleyan Methodists".

Also, if you go to http://www.booksulster.com/library/topog/s.php and scroll down to 'Seagoe', you will find reference to Bluestone and to a Methodist Church, albeit in a later timescale to that you are seeking.

"Trees without roots fall over!"

""People who never look backward to their ancestors will never look forward to posterity." - Edmund Burke

Don't just wait for the storm to pass, learn to dance in the rain.

“Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Be curious and however difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at.”  Stephen Hawking

In a world where you can be anything, be kind .

Offline Keith Sherwood

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 08 November 05 20:04 GMT (UK) »
Hi, Scotmum,
Thanks so much for responding to my rather obscure query, and I shall certainly have a look at that link you've so kindly provided for me.  It will be a good starting point, surely, as I know absolutely nothing about this area of Ireland - at the moment!
Very best wishes,
Keith

Offline scotmum

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile

""People who never look backward to their ancestors will never look forward to posterity." - Edmund Burke

“Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Be curious and however difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at.”  Stephen Hawking

Offline Keith Sherwood

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 09 November 05 08:30 GMT (UK) »
Wow! Scotmum,
This is great, and is all enlarging my (minimal) knowledge of Methodism across the Irish sea in the early days.
Thanks so much...
Keith

Offline scotmum

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 09 November 05 15:33 GMT (UK) »
Perhaps if you tried contacting the address at this link http://www.lurganancestry.net/churches/lurgantown/bluestonemethodist.html you may obtain further help with your research.

Broken Link

Offline scotmum

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 09 November 05 15:42 GMT (UK) »
And some further interesting reading at http://www.bob-sinton.com/notes/notes3.htm.

Offline scotmum

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 09 November 05 16:01 GMT (UK) »
I will PM you with the email address for the current (as far as I know) minister of Bluestone Methodist, the Rev. Ruth Craig.

Offline Keith Sherwood

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 09 November 05 17:58 GMT (UK) »
Hi again, Scotmum,
You really have taken me in hand!  I am most grateful for all these links, and will definitely contact the present Methodist incumbent (is this correct to use this term?) whose e-mail address I now safely have...
very best wishes,
keith