Author Topic: My names in Stranraer area  (Read 35631 times)

Offline JanetMcQ

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: My names in Stranraer area
« Reply #36 on: Saturday 01 September 18 22:12 BST (UK) »
Hello very new to here but I've Thomson Leswalt and I think Stranraer. John Thomson - my great grandfather. I think born around 1855. He was a Lance corporal and was in Malta in 1875 when he married my great grandmother Maria Dolores Borg and eventually came back to Scotland. Settled in Glasgow - I think at one point in Keppochhill Rd. I think his father was James Thomson and Mother Elizabeth? My father, Stevan Brady - his grandson - was evacuated to a farm during 2nd World war and it was to the Thomson's. Hoping to find out more about his side of family as I have more info on Maltese side way back several centuries than I do the Scottish side! Thanks Janet

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: Sunday 02 September 18 13:09 BST (UK) »
Hi Janet

Welcome to RootsChat  :)

You will need to look at some specific records for John Thomson to really be able to trace him back and his family.

I think this is him in 1881:

John Thompson 33 Pte Soldier 71 Regt b. Port Patrick, Wigtonshire
Maria Thompson 24 b. Malta
John Thompson 4
Mary Thompson 3
Robert Thompson 2
Margaret Thompson 11 Months

Address: Johnston Terrace Married Soldiers Quarters, Edinburgh

Monica
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: Sunday 02 September 18 13:15 BST (UK) »
Possible entry for John with family in 1851?

John Thomson 68 wiver (?weaver)
Elizabeth Thomson 67
Margaret Thomson 28
Robert Thomson 26
Jane Thomson 26
Mary Thomson 21
Elizabeth Thomson 13
John Thomson 3 b. Leswalt, wigtonshire
Sarah Thomson 2
Hugh Thomson 6
Margaret Welch 2
William Tolls 25 visitor

Address: Wiver House, Portpatrick

Monica

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: Sunday 02 September 18 13:22 BST (UK) »
Likely best to check his death cert to confirm his parents' names? Some researchers have the names as Robert Thomson and Jane Campbell. They also show his death as being on 4 January 1918 at 167 Glasgow Rd Glasgow.

As always, without original certificates, hard for you to be certain you are following the right lines.

Monica

Offline JanetMcQ

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: Sunday 02 September 18 13:41 BST (UK) »
Thank you Monica. That's very definitely him as of 1881 in Edinburgh. He was in the 71st Regiment and that's the first of their children's names too. They married in Valletta in 1875.
I've been hunting about Scotland's people but I cannot remember if his father's name is James or Robert.

I know at some point between 1875 and 1881 they left Malta, went to Gibraltar and Germany. Now in Edinburgh! Then between 1881 and 1895 (my granny born around then in Glasgow) they were also in Ireland as another daughter born then. I know he had become a night Watchman after turn of century and still was in 1915 as he is noted on my granny Sarah Brady's marriage cert in 1915. Later he passed away at that job as I managed to trace his death cert which had  an unusual adjustment at the cause of death section.  It had to be changed to say died due to hitting head after a fall at work. But can't seem to pick up his earlier life at all.

I chased a few false leads around Wigtownshire late last night but might have picked up his birth in the Galloway Free press to a James Thomson "and wife" on 1st March 1850.

But thanks....a very good start to the search as I'd no idea they were in Edinburgh and had been searching the Glasgow census.

And thanks for the welcome! Janet

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: Sunday 02 September 18 14:36 BST (UK) »
Janet, what did his death cert say in respect of his parents' names?

His birth was before the start of official registration in Scotland from 1855. Only about a third of BMD events were registered before 1855 for all sorts of reasons. Your best bet will be his death cert really (hopefully the informant to his death knew parents' names).

Monica

Offline JanetMcQ

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: Sunday 02 September 18 14:42 BST (UK) »
I've got a paper copy of it somewhere. I will look it out. I'm sure it was his son that signed it. My granny signed Maria's in 1929 but he was gone before her.
I'm sure I have their marriage certificate too from previous searches so I will hunt it all out again.
I tend to do it in fits and starts and then become like a dog with a bone until I uncover something!
Thanks for tips. I will post up what I find!
Janet

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: Sunday 02 September 18 14:53 BST (UK) »
That will help you now for sure  :) We can all look further with more info, confirmed from docs you have.

Monica

Offline brendabrain

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: Saturday 06 November 21 22:13 GMT (UK) »
Hi there I’ve just read the chats. My great great grandmother is Maria Delores Borg. I’m looking for any information on the Maltese side. I have quite a bit of info on John Thompson and the Scottish side but missing Maria’s family information. My grandmother was Dora Wilson and Sarah Brady was her aunt and bridesmaid. I keep reading on various forums that Maria’s parents were Rocco Borg and Paola Arena, but I’ve seen the register of Maria’s death that Sarah Brady, her daughter, registered but it states Maria’s father was Francis Borg. I’m confused and would welcome any information.

Many thanks

Brenda