Author Topic: BARNES/BROOKS - LONDON/MIDDLESEX -1800's  (Read 1004 times)

Offline Joe Barnes

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
BARNES/BROOKS - LONDON/MIDDLESEX -1800's
« on: Tuesday 08 November 05 16:58 GMT (UK) »
I'm new to the list and am seeking advice as to how to overcome my brickwall re James BARNES, died Winchmore Hill March2, 1850. Based on his death certificate, James was born ca 1798.
James married Eleanor BROOKS Dec 31, 1820 at St. Dunstan's, Stepney. Both bride and groom responded "Of this Parish" on the register.
The 1841 census has them living at Hoppers Lane, Edmonton, with two children aged 13 and 9.
A search of the registers for All Saints, the Edmonton parish church, found the baptisms for six of James and Eleanor's children from 1827 on, including the two found in the 1841 census.
Eleanor died, April 16, 1872 while living with her son, Robert Charles BARNES at 7, St. Georges Terrace, Kilburn. (Eleanor was also there with them at the 1861 and 1871 censuses).
Based on the age he gave in the censuses, Robert would have been born in 1823 or 1824 and he gave his place of birth as Edmonton. However, Robert  was not one of those found by my researcher listed in the baptisms at All Saints from 1793 on.
Since James and Eleanor had children every two years, it seems likely that there could be two more children, in addition to Robert, born between their marriage in 1820 and the first baptism found at All Saints in 1827.
My request for advice is therefore:
1/ How might I find out where Robert was baptised?
2/ How might I trace the whereabouts of James and Eleanor, from their marriage in 1820 to the first (found) baptism in Edmonton in 1827?
3/Where might I search for James' baptismal record?
One other possible clue is that, in 1842, an Elanor (sic), Lucy and Robert BARNES joined the New Independent Chapel in Hoppers Lane, Edmonton.
Hoping that someone out there will have some advice.
Joe Barnes, Ontario, Canada.

Offline Aquarius1

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: BARNES/BROOKS - LONDON/MIDDLESEX -1800's
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 16 August 17 07:51 BST (UK) »
Hi Joe.
I am new to this sight and saw your query. I believe I am descended from James Barnes and Eleanor Brooks. I would be interested to see if you found the information you were looking for, as, to date, I have not found any other children apart from the 2 mentioned on the census.
Many thanks