Author Topic: McKaig from Ireland to Canada  (Read 11345 times)

Offline J.J.

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census Crown © www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: McKaig from Ireland to Canada
« Reply #18 on: Monday 22 December 14 01:12 GMT (UK) »
Makes him 18 or 19?....Didn't say it was he...just perhaps one to look into
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner" J.J.

Canadian  census  transcribed  data  ©2005 www.AutomatedGenealogy.com

Offline Charles44

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Wednesday 08 July 15 22:00 BST (UK) »
Hello,

My great great grandfather was Archibald McKaig, who was born in County Down Ireland in 1838. He moved to New Jersey in 1856. A picture of him is on this page.

http://thetraderspeaks.com/n288.html

Archibald McKaig and Frances Elizabeth Strong married on 11 Aug 1861 in St. Paul's Church in Jersey City.  He was supposedly born on 13 Sep 1838 in Co. Down, Ireland and died on 15 May 1918 in Jersey City.  I have their kids as:

William Samuel, b. 15 May 1865

Archibald, b. 16 Feb 1868

Charles Alfred, b. 16 May 1870

Mary Louise, b. 09 Jul 1872

Francis, b. 07 Jul 1875 (died young)

Edward Francis, b. 14 Jun 1877 – Wife Anna Veronica

Fannie Strong, b. 28 Feb 1880

Do we have a connection?

all the best,

Charles

Offline iforani

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Wednesday 08 July 15 22:43 BST (UK) »
This is an interesting post. Would you be able to tell me please, how you pronounce the name, McKaig as my family name is McKay and my g g grandfather was John McKay, different variants, who emigrated to Australia possibly as a convict in the 1840's or early 1850's. I happened to find a reference to that part of his past in a police record in Bathurst, NSW, but it was only as reliable as the information he had given to the police. On all of his records (marriage & children's birth certificates) it was stated that he came from Kildare, Ireland, but I have no definitive proof of this as I don't have any of his siblings' names to help me trace further back. You have a list of your ancestors' siblings which should make it easier tracing the parents as back then, the children were often named after the parents, and in the Scottish and Irish families, the eldest child was often named after the father's father. Parish records are good & you have a good chance of finding your ancestors. Have you looked in archived newspapers? Any possible families that I have found for my ancestor moved from Ireland to Scotland so this is possible that your family did this as well in times of hardship, just as they moved to Canada/Australia etc back then. It was quite remarkable just how much families and people did move around then in spite of the slowness of travel. The English seemed to stay put but the Irish, Scottish and European people travelled a lot (to survive I guess). Good luck, don't give up.
McKay (Kildare, Ireland), Aldred (Manchester), Smith, Cooper (Kent), Howlett, Bodill, Atkins (Northamptonshire), Smart (UK, Africa), Brown, Bryant, Dixon, Walton

Offline J.J.

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Wednesday 08 July 15 23:39 BST (UK) »
Too bad this was not split up as we appear to have kidnapped someone else's post...
Great images of the fellas...much like a celeb's trading card.  ;D

Excerpts from History of Jersey City, N.J. : a record of its early settlement and corporate progress...
https://archive.org/stream/historyofjerseyc00macl#page/287/mode/2up
(he's also mentioned in a few "New York Times" "St. Paul Globe" accounts)

Capt. Archibald McKaig was born in Ireland in 1838, and came to America in 1858, when
he became a clerk in the employ of Colgate & Co., with whom he remained until 1861. He
served in the War of the Rebellion and received several promotions during that period. At
the close of the war he returned to his former position with Colgate &- Co. In 1866 he became
connected with the Jersey City police force as a Patrolman ; was promoted to Sergeant October
I, 1871, and to Captain in October, 1875. He was reduced to Sergeant in June, 1877 and
promoted to Captain in May, 1880.

Also re: the the First Presbyterian Church of Berge: There are two present and acting deaconesses, Mrs. Anna M. Daniels and Mrs. Fannie E. McKaig.
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner" J.J.

Offline Charles44

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Thursday 09 July 15 03:51 BST (UK) »
Hi Group,

I just realized that I posted to this thread 10 years ago. My, how time flies. J.J. I'm impressed with the information about Fannie E. McKaig! That's the first new piece of information I've had about my family in the longest time.

What I don't know yet is about my McKaig connections in Ireland. I know that Charles Alfred moved to California, where my grandfather and father came from. I don't know whatever became of Archibald McKaig's offspring.

iforani, my name is pronounced "Mic Keg", and the name is very uncommon in my area. How do I find archived newspapers?

Thanks

Charles

Offline J.J.

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Thursday 09 July 15 03:59 BST (UK) »
Charles 44 I think it is time you started your own post regarding Archibald, and then we'll post a link to it on this thread....Because he went to the U.S. you can start it on the U.S. board. let them know you have all census information, list the children with birth date and let them know which ones you have no information on.

But please, wherever you post it...add a link to this thread ( use this link, http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=104738.msg5693257#msg5693257 copy & paste) so everyone knows where it began. I can post the links to get you to the newspapers...I don't know if they are pay to view I never followed them.

p.s.  WOW!!! 10 years ago...

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Thursday 09 July 15 10:09 BST (UK) »
Charles 44 I think it is time you started your own post regarding Archibald, and then we'll post a link to it on this thread....Because he went to the U.S. you can start it on the U.S. board. let them know you have all census information, list the children with birth date and let them know which ones you have no information on.

But please, wherever you post it...add a link to this thread ( use this link, http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=104738.msg5693257#msg5693257 copy & paste) so everyone knows where it began. I can post the links to get you to the newspapers...I don't know if they are pay to view I never followed them.

p.s.  WOW!!! 10 years ago...

Here's the link-
www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=725080.msg5693442#msg5693442
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline SarahLAmey

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Monday 17 April 17 02:26 BST (UK) »
Hello,
My grandmother was Mary Viola Keech(Amey) married to Victor Emerson Amey....Her father and mother were Clinton Keech and Estella McKaig....my great grandfather was James Edward McKaig married to Mary Jane Harris....My ancestor's came from Ireland to Scotland to Ireland to England to Ontario Canada.....
Plz email me at:(*) if anyone has info

Thx

(*) Moderator Comment: e-mail & personal information removed in accordance with RootsChat policy , to avoid spamming and other abuses.
Please use the Personal Message (PM) system for exchanging personal data.

New members must make at least two postings before being allowed to use the PM facility.

See Help-Page:  http://www.rootschat.com/help/pms.php