Author Topic: Robert Mc Cloy M.Margaret Robertson 1849 barony  (Read 5399 times)

Offline celia

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Robert Mc Cloy M.Margaret Robertson 1849 barony
« on: Monday 30 August 04 16:07 BST (UK) »
The first child of robert & Margaret was Alexander, b Barony in 1851
Also brother David Mc Cloy maried Ann Kent.
Children Ann b. 1850. Isabella b1854. Marion 1859  b.calton. David Wallace Mc Cloy 1856. Mary b.1864 b Bothwell . Wallace was the Maiden name of thier Grandmother. These are two of the sibling of my G.G.Grandfather Richard Mc Cloy. Am i the only one to have a Mc Cloy Family tree ??? I know there are still Mc cloy's in Lanark. The phone book tells me so, are there any decendents out there ???. been waiting a long time to find any :(
Celia 1941-2010
~~~~~~~~~~~~

Rake Lane Burials

M.I.Merchant Marina's Rake Lane

FLORENCE JONES MARRIED JOHN GIBBON HIGNETT IN 1885

Offline Linda W.

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Robert Mc Cloy M.Margaret Robertson 1849 barony
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 04 November 04 00:38 GMT (UK) »
Hi Celia,
I am new here.  But I think that I have some information for you.  I have also been researching a Richard McCloy from Scotland for the last few years.  My Richard married Hannah Cunningham in 1839 in Old Monkland.  I suspect that he is a cousin to your ggg grandfather, but can't prove it yet.  I can't find my Richard's parents.  I have found quite a bit of information on your family while searching for mine.  I am going to attach a gedcom of what I have on the family of Alexander McCloy and Anne Wallace (parents of your Richard McCloy).  Do you know who the parents of Alexander are or where he was born?  I'd love to hear anything you might know.

Linda

Offline celia

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 04 November 04 15:31 GMT (UK) »
Hi Linda nice to hear from you,i had forgotten about this post, good job i remembered to tick it. My Mc Cloys go back to 1810 when my G.G.Grandfather was born in East Kilbride Glasgow. He was the second of 8 children (the first child died i think as it had do name) Of Alexander Mc Cloy And Ann Wallace. In the O.P.R records some of the children are refered to as being Surnamed Wallace McCloy so maybe that was Anns Maiden name. I never got up past 1810 so i dont know. I often wondered who Richard and Hanna Cunningham belonged to ;D (i have a story about those 2)I was told that Mc Cloy was an unusual name. I have a lot on my McCloys. The other sibling of G.G.Grandfather were. David & Robert born Nielson 22nd July 1828. Isabella, 1825,Margaret 1811, Joseph 1815, then there is alexander ,Elizabeth and John. As to the parents of My G.G.G. Grandfather Alex, as i say i dont know. I do have an 1841 census for the village of the bridge of weir in Houston Parish. On it says "Alexander Mc Cloy age 50 Agricultural labourer born Ireland. As this could be an ongoing conversation ,you can mail me if you want. Celia
Celia 1941-2010
~~~~~~~~~~~~

Rake Lane Burials

Offline celia

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 06 November 04 15:37 GMT (UK) »
Linda Thank you so much for sending me all that information from your Mc Cloy Collection. Are these 70 descendent's really mine including the Mc Clays. I have now gone through all 17 page's, It's wonderful to have a death for my G.G.G.Grandfather , but not what he died of, (Paralysis)and where he was buried in 1860. I knew There had been a few Adult deaths through decease in my G.Grandfathers own family. But the poor man lost 4/5 grandchildren up to 5years old. Through Croup,Bronchitis, Typhoid Fever. Do you think we really are related. ??? Did you know that there are still Mc Cloys in E.Kilbride and other places in Scotland today ???I reckon that seeing the Mc Cloy Name isn't very common they could be related to us.

Celia
Celia 1941-2010
~~~~~~~~~~~~

Rake Lane Burials

Offline Linda W.

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 07 November 04 01:39 GMT (UK) »
Hi Celia,
I'm glad that the information was helpful to you.  Life really must have been hard back then.  I have seen the surname spelled McCloy, McClay, McLoy, McLay.  Sometimes there are two different spellings in the same record!   It seems that most of the people who are McCloy or McClay are Irish in origin while the McLay spelling is more prominent in Stirlingshire.  I don't know if this has anything to do with pronunciation or education or if it is just happenstance.

It would be really great to hear from some of the current McCloys in East Kilbride.  It sure seems like they would be related to us. 

I am hopeful that I will be able to figure out the parents of my Richard McCloy.  I'm hot on their trail now.
 :D
Linda

Offline celia

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 10 November 04 13:09 GMT (UK) »
Hi Linda the story i was going to tell you about the Richard Mc Cloy and Hanna Cunningham is this. A couple of years or more ago. I was trying to find my Great Grandmothers ( Jane Mc Cloy) Father Richard after having found him on the marriage certificate to George James Baron. I didn't have anything at all on Richard at the time. I was searching on Family search one day.When i found Richard Mc Cloy. Parents Richard Mc Cloy & Hanna Cunningham.This was a submitted one but i didn't know that at the time. I spent hours at the library on the I.G.I trying to find him but as i didn't know where in Scotland he was born. I had to give up, I remember for some reason something  didn't add up (cant remember What) and you know that feeling you get ???  So i put Richard & Hanna on hold. Later i got a bit more information on Jane. so i went back to the I.G.I and went through the Mc Cloys in Glasgow. Where i found Richard Mc Cloy Parents  Alexander Mc Cloy & Ann or Agnes Wallace, it was Ann.Plus other children. so i took that and did more research these turned out to be the rightfull parents of Richard. So my gut feeling had been right, the person that made the submission had given Your Richard & Hanna the wrong Richard. I then contacted The Saints as i call them and told them of this. could they please correct the record. I got a rather terse mail back saying they could not change the records of the I.G.I. After a few more mails in which i explained i wasn't asking them to. They then asked for proof which a few weeks later i was able to send. I never heard from them again, then one day i found on the I.G.I on Family search . My G.G.G Grandparents Alexander Mc Cloy & Ann Wallace and some children which i think included my Richard. They weren't there before. So they must have checked up to see if i was right and i was ;D so Richard has now left his foster parents ;) and is back with is own.

Celia
Celia 1941-2010
~~~~~~~~~~~~

Rake Lane Burials

Offline celia

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 09 December 04 22:17 GMT (UK) »
Hi Linda found where we started from at last.
I found a couple of small things you might like to add.
Added information for Janet and Jane Mc Cloy.

Janet  Mc Cloy b.1849.Janet married Alexander Liddell on 21st June 1872 Glasgow. She died in 1879 age 30 of Phitis.
She left two children, Thomas Liddell & Jessie/Jessica Liddell age 5 & 7 on the 1881 census 4 Lanark.

Jane,  Mc Cloy b. 1841 IN GLASGOW (G.Grandmother) a cotton  mill worker married George James Baron, blacksmith & journeyman) on 7/8/1866 in Glasgow .  George was born 1841 Accrington Blackburn  ( Parents James Baron and Ann Sanson not Janson.

I am going to go into number 42 on page 17 to see if i can find anything on Archibald Mc Cloy. I did at one time write a short note to 3 of the Mc Cloys in E.Kilbride. One nice lady replied and asked around the family with the names i gave. No one knew of them.

Celia
Celia 1941-2010
~~~~~~~~~~~~

Rake Lane Burials