Author Topic: 1831 ? census lookup. Powlesland  (Read 15806 times)

Offline caroline hammill

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: 1831 ? census lookup. Powlesland
« Reply #27 on: Friday 24 March 06 09:30 GMT (UK) »
Morning David,

Dont mean to sound like im being nosey here, but how did you get hold of this box that belonged to C J Powlesland, it might help us to find who he was and who  his parents were, Dawn and me have been trying to find this person, there is a possibility that he was : Clifford J(cant remember) Powlesland, and there is somebody on Genes who has this person in their tree, Dawn has contacted them but i dont think she has had a reply as yet.

CAZ
DEVON : Gillard,Horn,Powlesland,Cooper,Crocker,Mallett,Branch
GLOUCESTERSHIRE : Hanks,Pratt,Bowen,Hall,Compton,Lawrence,Morris,Williams, Izard,Dancey,Derrett
WORCESTERSHIRE : James, Wheatcroft

Offline deavid stokes

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Friday 24 March 06 18:46 GMT (UK) »
Caz,

Thanks for messages>

In reply:-

I think that Norman Bowden is the son of Ellen c1891 Powlesland.
I met her many years ago as an old lady. She was known as Nellie and was married to Albert Bowden: they lived at Sticklepath nr. Okehampton.

A children we often used to visit various people in Sticklepath which is where
Elizabeth Powlesland c. 1860 lived with her husband John Cooper.

My grandmother Harriet Powlesland's dau. Ellen Curtis was brought up by Elizabeth and John Cooper - I have photographs.

Nellie Harris [nee Powlesland ] who I have previously referred to also lived in Sticklepath.

With regard to the box, I got it thro' my mother: I suspect that it was Clifford J   
Powlesland because of the Okehampton [Sticklepath] connection: as yet I have no proof, but when I here from Norman Bowden perhaps he will be able to confirm the connections and give me details of Nellie Harris.

With regard to youe query of 28th November [sorry for the delay !!] Mary and George Lethbridge were the witnesses at Harriets Marriage to William Curtis  on 1st July 1873 at the church of St. Mary Arches in Exeter.

This m. cert refers to harriet as 24 and William as 21.

I have not been able to confirm his birth date, but he died on 11th May 1891 at Black Torrington aged 38 - I cannot find his birth at all around 1852 - 53 but will keep trying.

My direct e-mail is MODERATOR COMMENT: email address removed to avoid spam and other abuses. Please use personal message system to share email addresses. Thank You and I live in Cambridgeshire, although brought up in Devon.

I will sort out what relevant photos I have and let you have copies.

Regards,

David

Offline Di1352

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Friday 28 June 13 17:52 BST (UK) »
Hello
I am new to this forum, I am trying to trace the parents of Richard Cooper who married Elizabeth Cooper South Tawton Devon, both fathers are called John witness on marriage certificate is George Crocker, any information would be appreciated. They married in 1849. Richard born 1818 Elizabeth 1829
Thanks
Dia

On reflection I think I have posted this in the wrong place sorry

Offline Di1352

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Friday 13 April 18 19:54 BST (UK) »
Hello Caz
I have Coopers and Powleslands in my family tree on myheritage site.
I think they may relate
Kind regards
Diane

Offline Alexh

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Tuesday 10 July 18 12:05 BST (UK) »
Hi David

My great grandfather Cecil  Charles Hooper Bowden was Albert Bowden's youngest sibling. I was wondering if you had any more information on the Bowden family, Norman etc? I realise this msg has been sent some time after your posts, but hopefully it gets picked up! Many thanks.

Offline Alexh

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Wednesday 11 July 18 14:50 BST (UK) »
Apologies, this info is inaccurate..please ignore!