Author Topic: Army Barracks in Gillingham, Chatham??  (Read 11314 times)

Offline eillo

• RootsChat Senior
  • 2x G-Gma Sarah Page Simpso born Chilham Kent 1836
    • View Profile
Army Barracks in Gillingham, Chatham??
« on: Wednesday 09 November 05 14:09 GMT (UK) »
I have found my ancestor Charles Henry Simpson born 1829 in Wouldham Kent, living in a barracks of some sort in Chatham Kent in 1851 census.  The exact location is

District 1u, Gillingham, Chatham, Kent

He is listed as "Private in Army" and is with dozens and dozens of other men listed with various such titles. Some say "Royal Army". Even going back to the first page of this census (and there are dozens of such pages) it does not provide the name of the barracks or give me any clues as to what army or military regiment my Charles was in.

Can anyone who is more familiar with these military bases shed light on this?

Thank you!

Simpson, Fuller, Page, Stead, Caspall, Philpott, Williams, Elvery, Whibley, Fryer/Friar, Sutton, Grant, Allard, Packman, Steadman, Norris, Drury, Boughton, Spratt, Munday, Rabbit, Wildbore

Offline English Jen

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Army Barracks in Gillingham, Chatham??
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 09 November 05 16:30 GMT (UK) »
Hi

It's probably Brompton Barracks.  It's part way between Gillingham and Chatham in a tiny area called Brompton.  It's still there and in use today.

Kind regards
English Jen.
Letley, Kent/Anywhere ... Attempting a One Name Study.
Dunn, Yorkshire/Kent,
Garrett, Kent
Petyt, Yorkshre/Kent
Sheehan, Ireland/Kent
Summersett, Kent
Webb, Kent

Offline mickgall

• RootsChat Senior
  • Albert Gall 1897-1951
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 09 November 05 16:38 GMT (UK) »
Hi Ellio

of the top of my head the first barracks that come to mind in Chatham for the army are the Royal Engineers barracks at Brompton

Heres a link to the regimental museum
http://www.army.mod.uk/royalengineers/museum/index.htm

You could also try to find his army service record at the National Archives in Kew in the WO 97 series if you are able to visit.

Mick
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

GALL-Norfolk,Cardiff,LondonTHOMAS-London,Herts,
PRIOR-N.Ireland,WOODS-N.Ieland,
DAWKES-Warks,DAVIS-Warkes'Wales,
JENNINGS-Surrey,Warks,London,SHELDRAKE-Essex,London,
BRITTON-Berks,BLAKELEY-Dewsbury W.Yorks

Offline eillo

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 09 November 05 18:21 GMT (UK) »
Thank you EnglishJen and Mick for your answers as to the Barracks my gg grandpa would have been in.

I've had a look at the website - very interesting!

I would love to see/find Charles' military records but I don't live in England. I'm in Canada - is there any way to obtain those records long distance or is a personal visit the only way?

Simpson, Fuller, Page, Stead, Caspall, Philpott, Williams, Elvery, Whibley, Fryer/Friar, Sutton, Grant, Allard, Packman, Steadman, Norris, Drury, Boughton, Spratt, Munday, Rabbit, Wildbore

Offline mlrfn448

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 23 November 05 22:52 GMT (UK) »
Hi,

It is possible to search the catalogue of the National Archives and order a copy of documents, but there is a minimum charge.

I suggest you check out their website
http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/catalogue/search.asp

Offline eillo

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 25 November 05 16:55 GMT (UK) »
Thank you for that info, I searched the catalogue as you suggested, but my Charles Simpson doesn't appear. Does that mean there is no army record for him?

Offline mlrfn448

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 26 November 05 22:10 GMT (UK) »
I really do not know enough about the archives.

However, it sounds as though you will have to concentrate your research in other areas, at least until you know more.

Was he on the 1861, 1871 census, etc

Offline eillo

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 11 September 06 14:48 BST (UK) »
I really do not know enough about the archives.

However, it sounds as though you will have to concentrate your research in other areas, at least until you know more.

Was he on the 1861, 1871 census, etc

Hello Dave

Yes I have Charles Henry in 1861 and 1871 census. He died in 1874 so that's the end of the trail for him (but not his family of course). I also have him in 1841 with his parents.

I was hoping to find out more about his military service but I have no idea how/where to research that.

Thanks for any advice you might have!

Offline Mogsmum

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 13 September 06 09:15 BST (UK) »
Hi eillo,

There's Brompton Barracks - as already mentioned - at Brompton, midway between Chatham & Gillingham, currently home to the RSME (Royal School of Military Engineering);  there is however a further barracks nearby, now called "Kitchener" (which is probably also, geographically at least, in modern-day Brompton),and which is currently home to some of the Gurkhas.   Although definitely military, it is located almost opposite 'Pembroke Gate' - the historical main entrance to HM Dockyard, Chatham.   (Now sadly, for all its "hype", a rather uninspiring tourist attraction which goes under the title of HM Historic Dockyard, Chatham).

In addition, within the same area, there is also "Fort Amherst", built in 1756, initially defend the south eastern approaches to Chatham Dockyard and the River Medway against a French invasion - now a tourist attraction.

Might I suggest, if you haven't already done so, that you do a 'google' search for Brompton Barracks (which will bring up several pages of info., including a book about its history available from Amazon) and also a similar search on Fort Amherst which will give you more detail about its history, and hopefully, allow you to narrow down exactly which barracks you need.

Of course, you don't need me to mention that Chatham Dockyard may also have housed military as well as naval personnel.