Author Topic: Kings Royal Corps 1882 - what is it?  (Read 16223 times)

Offline 1000xlch

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Kings Royal Corps 1882 - what is it?
« on: Wednesday 09 November 05 20:42 GMT (UK) »
Hi all

Can anyone tell me if the Kings Royal Corps was in fact the Kings Royal RIfle Corps as my ancestor was a Color Sergeant in 1882 at Preston in Lancashire.  Trying to find what battles he may have been in to prove a link with parentless children in 1881 census in Winchester Barracks all born in India which I think are his family as he was a widower when he married in 1882.

Thanks

John Rowley
DUNN - Cambuslang, LKS
FORSYTH - Shotts, LKS
FRAME - Hamilton, LKS
HODGSON - Hamsterley, DUR
HUMPHREY - Easingwold, NRY
HUNT - Frimley, Surrey
MCKECHNIE - Argyll - Shotts
NETHERCLIFF(T)/ DRAYCOTT Sandhurst, BKS
PEPPERCORN - Lolworth, Cambs
PRATT - Thirsk, NYK
REDSHAW - Hamsterley, DUR
REYNOLDS - Fritton,Stratton,NFK
ROWLEY - STS to DUR
TALLACK - St Agnes Padstow,CON
WALMSLEY - NRY,Brum
WILSON - Hamsterley, Co Durham
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline manmack

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Kings Royal Corps 1882 - what is it?
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 10 November 05 08:11 GMT (UK) »
john what was his name,mack
military history,mainly ww1,manchester pals battalions,tyneside irish +tyneside scottish brigades,leeds,liverpool,accrington,birmingham,hull,barnsley,swansea and salford pals.

Offline 1000xlch

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 10 November 05 12:24 GMT (UK) »
Hi Mack

Hi name was Harry Boxall aged 36 in 1882, he was a widower when he married 3 feb 1882, address is in Preston, Lancs and his occupation is Color Sergeant in Kings Royal Corps.  His father was Henry Boxall (deceased) occupation Gardener on his marriage cert.

Thanks

John Rowley
DUNN - Cambuslang, LKS
FORSYTH - Shotts, LKS
FRAME - Hamilton, LKS
HUNT - Frimley, Surrey
PRATT - Thirsk, NYK
ROWLEY - STS to DUR
WALMSLEY - NRY,Brum

Offline MarMnkly

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Always looking back
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 10 November 05 13:13 GMT (UK) »
Hi John, is this him?

The Times, Tuesday, Feb 13, 1900
The Siege of Ladysmith
"A telegram from the General of Communications, Natal, reports the following casualties at Ladysmith:- ........2nd King's Royal Rifle Corps.- ....4449 Col.-Sgt. H. Boxall died February 7 of wound received January 6."

Margaret :)
Surname Interests
Massey, Munkley, Powell, Thompson, Thurkettle

Any census information included in this post is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline manmack

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 10 November 05 14:44 GMT (UK) »
i have the same man in the south africa war casualty list,nice one margaret,mack
military history,mainly ww1,manchester pals battalions,tyneside irish +tyneside scottish brigades,leeds,liverpool,accrington,birmingham,hull,barnsley,swansea and salford pals.

Offline 1000xlch

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 10 November 05 16:41 GMT (UK) »
Hi Margaret and manmack.

I believe this may be him as his son went to South Africa around Cape Town area.  I am assuming the Kings Royal Corps was the Kings Royal Rifle Corps.  H Boxall was a colopr sergeant therefore this must be him.

Thanks a lot for the info.

Cheers

John Rowley
DUNN - Cambuslang, LKS
FORSYTH - Shotts, LKS
FRAME - Hamilton, LKS
HUNT - Frimley, Surrey
PRATT - Thirsk, NYK
ROWLEY - STS to DUR
WALMSLEY - NRY,Brum

Offline Garen

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 12 November 05 15:50 GMT (UK) »
Just saw this topic by chance as it mentioned the KRRC and my ears always bristle when a regiment who served in the Afghan war is mentioned.

The 2nd Battalion King's Royal Rifle Corps were the 60th Regiment before 1881, and the medal roll for the Second Afghan War (1878-1880) lists:

no.1074, Colour Sergeant Harry Boxall - no clasps.

No clasps is of interest as most of the rest of his regiment marched from Kandahar to Kabul in the spring of 1880, earning the clasp for Ahmed Khel en route, and then marched back to Kandahar in August, earning the Bronze Star and a clasp for Kandahar - but none of these for Harry. He is not listed in the casualty roll either, but maybe sickness put him out of action. Anyway - he did get the Afghan War medal, so served at some point in the campaign.

The KRRC arrived at Quetta 23 Dec 1878 and Kandahar on 8 Jan 1879. They did suffer from cholera outbreaks and had some hard marches in southern Afghanistan. The regiment marched with General Stewart to Kabul, as previously mentioned, in April 1880, seeing action at Ahmed Khel and Arzu, before reaching Kabul. In August they returned to Kandahar and fought at the battle there in 1 Sep 1880. They marched out of Afghanistan shortly afterwards, reaching Quetta again on 19 Sep and Sibi on 7 Oct. Throughout the campaign they marched over 2000 miles.

If you have any more info on Harry Boxall, please consider submitting some details to the Afghan war database project:

http://www.angloafghanwar.info/marchtokandahar/kk_project.php

... and let me know if there's anything else I can tell you. Many thanks -
Garen.
Second Anglo-Afghan War 1878-80 - http://www.angloafghanwar.info
Family research - http://www.garenewing.co.uk/family/

Offline 1000xlch

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 12 November 05 19:24 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Garen

You have made my day as well as the rest on this post.  I knew he was in the regiment for a while but have no exact dates except his age at marriage was 36 in 1882.  Any idea how I can find when he joined up?  Trying to find him in any census in the UK without success.  1901 he is already dead but cannot find his wife Charlotte who married him in Preston, Lancs in 1882.  Would the wives have gone out to the war as well?

He was a widower in 1882 so he must have had a first wife who died before 1882 but cannot find any marriages yet.

Any help appreciated.

Cheers

John Rowley
DUNN - Cambuslang, LKS
FORSYTH - Shotts, LKS
FRAME - Hamilton, LKS
HUNT - Frimley, Surrey
PRATT - Thirsk, NYK
ROWLEY - STS to DUR
WALMSLEY - NRY,Brum

Offline Garen

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 13 November 05 00:59 GMT (UK) »
Hello John,

The answer to all this will be in his service record, if it has survived, and that will reside at the National Archives, Kew. Until then we can only guess, or go on the very limited evidence which all seems to come from his marriage certificate and his death, kindly supplied by Margaret and manmack. I guess you don't have his birth (about 1845-46?).

The children you mention at Winchester - I think, and I'm not an expert, that Winchester was one of the depots for the King's Royal Rifles. As to when Harry joined up, it would depend, but most men joined the army at about 19 or 20 or so, so perhaps the mid 1860s.

The 2nd King's were in Ireland in 1866, India 1867, Afghanistan 1878, India 1880, to South Africa in 1881, then England (Davenport) 1882, so this would tie in with a marriage in that year. They were in Ireland again 1888 (Enniskillen), Gibraltar 1891, Malta 1895, Natal 1897 and the second Boer War in 1899. If he did join in the 1860s, that's long service.

To find him on a UK census domestically, you'd have to check the 1851 and 61 census returns. By 1871 he was probably in India (unless he was a later draft). Some wives did go out with the army (one married man per 12 infantrymen), and he could well have married and had his children in India. No wives went on campaign in Afghanistan after the disasters of the first Afghan War, but they would have remained at the depots (I think Mirat for the KRRC), as many did. Fever took a few of these too. Did Charlotte have an unusual surname? It was not uncommon for a soldier to return to England and marry a comrade's sister, or even wife if his comrade died in service, and it might be worth checking the medal roll for her surname, just in case, though it won't be conclusive.

These are just some ideas, and I'm mainly going on the experience of a few other soldiers' stories, which may not mean much!
Second Anglo-Afghan War 1878-80 - http://www.angloafghanwar.info
Family research - http://www.garenewing.co.uk/family/