Author Topic: Dickson Marriage in Caerlaverock 1768, where is Byers?  (Read 8830 times)

Offline mickdickson

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Dickson Marriage in Caerlaverock 1768, where is Byers?
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 07 January 06 22:29 GMT (UK) »
Hi Kathleen,

Thanks very much, I'll send you a personal message shortly.

Cheers

Mick :)
Dumfries -Campbell, Dickson, Glendinning, Grierson, Irving, Jardine, Wells, also Beattie, Brown, Buckham, Charters, Dalrymple, Fell, Ferguson, Fraser, Gibson, Graham, Hutchison, Leivers, Nichol, Mckenzie, Nicholson, Smith, White, McLean
Kirkcudbright - Dickson, Broun/Brown, Shennan
Glasgow-Dickson, Neilson, Thomson, Fleming, Mackenzie, Dennison
Edinburgh- Dickson, Buckham
Ayrshire-McIlwrick, McMurray, Gray, Findlay
Limerick - Shea / O'Shea, Carroll
Kerry - Egan
Sussex - Towner

Offline Dicksonhawaii

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Samuel Dickson Grandfather of Elspeth
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 30 June 13 00:41 BST (UK) »
My 4th Great Grandfather was Richard Dickson who married Elspeth abt 1768. I can't seem to make any headway on just who was Richards Father so have gone off on his wife's side.
Elspeth father seems to have been another Dickson (John) who married Agnes. Johns father seems to be Samuel who married Elizabeth abt 1700. Does anyone have any info on Samuel. I believe they lived in the Caerlaverock area of Scotland. Any information would be a big help. Thanks, Richard Dickson

Offline mickdickson

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 30 June 13 02:58 BST (UK) »
Richard,

I can't remember if I've conversed with you before but we share the same 4G Grandparents, can I ask which line do you descend from? I am from Thomas (1790-1869) to Jacob (1823-1896) to Thomas (1856-1932) and Thomas (1885-1935).

As with you, I can not connect Richard with any Dickson lines in the Mouswald or Caerlaverock areas.  Its a possibility he is related to the Rev Jacob Dickson in Mouswald somehow, possibly a cousin.  Can I ask how you connected John Dickson to a Samuel Dickson?  I can't find anything before the start of record keeping in that parish.  I do believe that Elspeth may have had a sister Charlot who was born Jun 1749 as one of Richard and Elspeth's children was also called that.  I have never been able to find an MI for Richard or Elspeth.

Michael Dickson
QLD, Australia
Dumfries -Campbell, Dickson, Glendinning, Grierson, Irving, Jardine, Wells, also Beattie, Brown, Buckham, Charters, Dalrymple, Fell, Ferguson, Fraser, Gibson, Graham, Hutchison, Leivers, Nichol, Mckenzie, Nicholson, Smith, White, McLean
Kerry - Egan
Sussex - Towner

Offline Dicksonhawaii

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sunday 30 June 13 18:43 BST (UK) »
Hi Michael,  Good to hear from you as we share 4G grandparent in Richard and Elspeth. I come down from the line of that JAMES b. 1769. He is often not listed in the children of Richard and Elspeth, but I believe should be in their line. From James there is John b.1814, then another John b. 1846, then John again b. 1867 who came to America and married  Mary Louise Foss (my grandparents). They had Robert Gordon my father. I believe I found Samuel while going through the Ancestry.com public ancestry lines. I'm fairly new to all this and appreciate all the research you have put into the Dickson line, its been a big help to me. Hopefully we can continue to trade notes in the future on the Dickson's. -Richard

Offline mickdickson

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Sunday 30 June 13 21:09 BST (UK) »
G'Day Richard,

Yes, I have come to same conclusion as you, that James (1769) was a child of Richard and Elspeth. Mainly due to fact that there is the gap between the marriage and the first recorded child I found, Margaret in 1773. Also the similarity in children's names. 'Richard' was not handed down any of the other lines other than yours and once in Thomas's.  Thomas, my 3G GF, had a Eppy, James, Janet, Richard, Robert, John, Jacob, Thomas, David, Jane and Mary. James did have a son Richard but I have lost that line as James and his wife Elisabeth Edgar went to NY, where she died in 1852.

I can assume you have seen my 'Dicksons of Dumfriesshire' tree then. I don't have a John b 1846 in your line but a James. A John was born in 1852ish according to the 1861 census.  Although I must admit I have not delved  deeply into your lines as yet.  You can email me at (*) if you like.

(*) Moderator Comment: e-mail removed in accordance with RootsChat policy, to avoid spamming and other abuses.
Please use the Personal Message (PM) system for exchanging personal data.
Kerry - Egan
Sussex - Towner

Offline mickdickson

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Sunday 30 June 13 21:24 BST (UK) »
Richard,

I've looked at one of the trees on Ancestry that has your Mary Louise Foss, the Dickson lines  I believe are from in Aberdeen and possibly Midlothian . There is nothing to connect these to the Dicksons in Dumfriesshire, miles away. Someone has just found a John or James or Richard that looked right and put them in without checking the ScotlandsPeople site or other sources.  If you haven't looked at my Tree, please do, its not perfect but I have more info offline.

Cheers
Mick
Kerry - Egan
Sussex - Towner

Offline Dicksonhawaii

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Sunday 30 June 13 23:50 BST (UK) »
Hi Michael,  That John Dickson born 1846 or 1845 in some records was my Great Grandfather and he married Jane Robertson B. 1846. On my grandmother Foss side I was able to go way back from America to England to Denmark to a "Mikkel" b. 1511 who had a father named "Anders" who I do not have a birth date as yet. Also, on my wife's side, her father came down from the SARGENT'S in Nova Scotia and, even more amazing the BRUCE line going back to King Bruce in Scotland and a date of 1243.
I'm also wondering if, in your opinion, you might think Richard, husband of Elspeth may have come from a Irish line or if some of our ancestors came from Ireland? My E-mail is: (*)  I have seen your Dickson Tree and it is VERY impressive, good job and a lot of hard work. Aloha-Richard

(*) Moderator Comment: e-mail removed in accordance with RootsChat policy, to avoid spamming and other abuses.
Please use the Personal Message (PM) system for exchanging personal data.

Offline imchad

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Wednesday 03 July 13 21:13 BST (UK) »
Hi
 Byers farm in Caerlaverock is right beside the church. In fact visitors to the church have to park in the farmyard.  I know it well, my grandparents are buried just over the wall from the farmyard.

Ian A McClumpha

Offline whitewalker

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Wednesday 12 April 17 00:14 BST (UK) »
hi, slightly random but we are related. I am from the glendinning ferguson branch. I've pulled up afew of the names you have too.
I'm heading to Kirkcudbright tomorrow to trace the lines
sarah