Author Topic: Was there a prison in Huntingdonshire?  (Read 6331 times)

Offline Gillg

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Was there a prison in Huntingdonshire?
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 31 May 06 16:34 BST (UK) »
A 9 year old relative of mine was sent to Huntingdon County Gaol in 1876 for stealing a loaf of bread, oranges, apples and nuts.  His father also spent some time in the same prison at earlier dates for 1) setting snares and 2) neglecting his family.  :o

Sounds like desperate poverty and hunger to me. But certainly people were locked up for what would seem to us to be minor offences. 

Gill

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

FAIREY/FAIRY/FAREY/FEARY, LAWSON, CHURCH, BENSON, HALSTEAD from Easton, Ellington, Eynesbury, Gt Catworth, Huntingdon, Spaldwick, Hunts;  Burnley, Lancs;  New Zealand, Australia & US.

HURST, BOLTON,  BUTTERWORTH, ADAMSON, WILD, MCIVOR from Milnrow, Newhey, Oldham & Rochdale, Lancs., Scotland.

Offline linmey

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Propping up a Saxon shore fort!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 31 May 06 17:19 BST (UK) »
Hi Gill,
  I have only recently heard about the rumour of my ancestors imprisonment. Like you, I think it was probably something very minor because otherwise we would have heard about it before. Well, I hope so anyway.
  As you say, it was probably extreme poverty that drove them to it.

Thamks for replying.  Linda.
Reynolds, Woodham, Payne, Wilmott, Hart, Richardson, Packwood, Tandy, Dexter - Bedfordshire.
Chamberlain and Wagstaff- Hunts.
Freeman, Cheney, Cox- Northants.
Burns, Muter, Cobban, Hossack, Strachan, Moonlight.
Lanarkshire, Ross and Cromarty and Kincardineshire.
Garvey- Ireland.

Census Information Is Crown Copyright From--
www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Dale

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 01 August 06 11:25 BST (UK) »
Hi
I've just got the Warks papers of one my ancestors -sent to prison for 3 months for stealing one peck of grain from his employer. About 8 quarts.
With 2 elderly parents, a wife and 3 kids at the time of the offence  it probably didn't go far~!
Try and get the papers - it's a fascinating insight into the lives of our forebears!
Marlene
HUNTS: Fairy, Ding, Scotney, Swinton, Burgess, Brace
BEDS: Farey, Fairy,  Young, Rootham, Gell, Wildman, Cooper. Deighton, Flavel.
NORTHANTS: Hills, Mobbs, Twelftrees,
DERBY: Fairey,
LONDON: Fairey, Fairy, Burgess, Williams, Tanser, Picknell, Vinall, Plampin, Mullins, Day, Folwell, Bamfield, Brown
WATFORD HERTS; Burgess, Williams
WARKS: Fairy, Ward, Stephens, Reeves, Hodgkiss, Byrne, Hunt, Edgeworth, Harper, Dudley,
WORCS: Callow, Lowe