Author Topic: RULE family  (Read 23930 times)

Offline whoosh

• I am sorry but my emails are not working
  • RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: Rule family
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 29 April 06 13:21 BST (UK) »
Hi Peter,
Rambling is fine.
The online IGI has many RULE's listed from Illogan but no DAWE's
The online IGI has many DAWE's listed from Redruth but no RULE's
Interesting seeing my Parish Locator lists the distance between the two parishes as just 1.8 km
Anyway I have decided to start a database on my Cornish connections.
Something I done many years ago with my Lincolnshire connections, so that will keep me busy for awhile.
I wonder how you do find a womens father pre 1837?
Bye for now,
Darren M Flowers
Wyrallah NSW
Australia
ENG: Lincs: Flowers, Coxell, Winterton, Mays, Kime, Spreckley, Whiting, Colvin
ENG: Cornwall: Harding, Hocking, Julian, Johns, Lugg, Parsons, Bastion, Margant, Dawe, Rule, Whitburne, Andrew, Williams, James
SCO: Kirkcudbrightshire: Copland
WAL: Anglesey: Humphrey Jones
WAL: Pembrokeshire: Margaret Davis

Offline whoosh

• I am sorry but my emails are not working
  • RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 29 April 06 14:50 BST (UK) »
Peter,
Searching thru all my papers I have found some info my mother was sent a few years ago on my DAWE/RULE families.
It states that my Mary RULE is the daughter of John RULE and Mary SAMPSON.
I have not validated this as yet.
Cheers,
Darren M Flowers
Wyrallah NSW
Australia
ENG: Lincs: Flowers, Coxell, Winterton, Mays, Kime, Spreckley, Whiting, Colvin
ENG: Cornwall: Harding, Hocking, Julian, Johns, Lugg, Parsons, Bastion, Margant, Dawe, Rule, Whitburne, Andrew, Williams, James
SCO: Kirkcudbrightshire: Copland
WAL: Anglesey: Humphrey Jones
WAL: Pembrokeshire: Margaret Davis

Offline peterpjw

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 30 April 06 00:59 BST (UK) »
Good Morning Darren

I checked my data for a Mary SAMPSON, but no result, I'm afraid.

Do you know if Joseph and Mary DAWE had a family Bible?  It might give their dates of birth or baptism, or possibly the names of their parents.  If you haven't already done so, ask around the family - check each branch of descendants.

Perhaps the Camborne baptism of Feb 1810 that you noted is now looking like the best option so far.

If I think of anything else, I'll post again.

Cheers

Peter

Offline peterpjw

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 01 May 06 08:20 BST (UK) »
Hi Darren

I had another thought on this problem.  Rule is a surname of high frequency in Cornwall, and so is Williams (my line).  I had great success sorting out my South Australian Williams connections to Cornwall by analysing the passenger lists of the ship they arrived on ("William Money", 1849).  I obtained a copy of all of the documents relating to the voyage, including lists that showed the Embarkation Order Numbers (EON) for each passenger.  I typed all of this into a spreadsheet and sorted by EON, and was able to identify members of my family by proximity of EON.  Perhaps your family arrived with close relatives on the same ship, and this could help to identify extended family in Cornwall.  That might then lead you to determining Mary's family.  It's a long shot, but worth pursuing, I think.

Cheers

Peter

Offline JollyMe

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: RULE family
« Reply #13 on: Sunday 14 August 11 06:36 BST (UK) »
My grandfather was William John Rule b. 1900 m. Edna Milne s/o Joseph Rule b. 1850 m. Ellen Reed.  Joseph's father was John Rule b. 1808 m. Grace Hocking.  John's father was John Rule b. 1775 m. Grace Bray. 
Is this the Grace Bray that is mentoned in reply #8 from Peter?
I have John's father as Peter Rule b. 1756 m. Margaret Cocking.Then John Rule b. 1775 m. Catherine?.  Then Peter Rule b. 1668 m. Elizabeth.
Then Christopher Rule b. 1634 m. Joane Stevens.
I have just recently started genealogy and have certificates confirming as far back as John Rule & Grace Hocking. 
Does anybody else have information confirming the above?
Christine
Whangarei
NZ

Offline peterpjw

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Saturday 27 August 11 07:46 BST (UK) »
Hi Christine

For John RULE who married Grace BRAY 7 May 1803 at Illogan, children appear to be William 1804, James 1805, Ann 1807, Grace 1809, John 1811 and Mary 1813 (years approx).  Grace BRAY was bapt 27 Mar 1780 at Illogan, d/o James BRAY & Grace FRANCIS.  Grace BRAY nee FRANCIS died 1828 and left a will.

James BRAY & Grace FRANCIS had at least 6 children:  Mary 1774 (m 1793 to Thomas RULE b 1764 s/o John RULE & Jane BAUDEN), Anne 1776 (m 1796 to Christopher RULE b 1769 s/o John RULE & Jane BAUDEN), James 1783 (m 1811 to Frances RICHARDS), John (mentioned in his mother's will), Joseph (mentioned in his mother's will) and Grace 1780 (m 1803 to John RULE).  WIth so many connections to the John RULE m Jane BAUDEN family, it might be theorised that the John RULE who m 1803 to Grace BRAY was also closely connected to Jane BAUDEN.

As to Peter RULE who m 1768 Illogan to Margaret COCKING, I had the following children - Peter 1771 (must have died in infancy), Peter 1773 and Henry (or Henery) 1787.  I don't know of any other children to this couple.  The Peter RULE who m 1768 was bapt 1744 at Illogan to John RULE and Catherine PERKING, I reckon.

You said "Peter Rule b. 1756 m. Margaret Cocking".  If that was so, he was only 12 years old when he married, so I think your statement must be in error.

I think you need to look more into the BRAY family, especially the connections to the several RULE sons of Jane BAUDEN.

Cheers

Peter

Offline JollyMe

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Monday 12 September 11 08:36 BST (UK) »
Hi Peter
Thanks for your reply.  You have given me a great deal more info to look into.
I certainly did get Peter Rule's birth date wrong he was born in 1744.
Regards
Christine

Offline JollyMe

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Saturday 17 September 11 23:22 BST (UK) »
Hi Peter
I have managed to get Parish birth records for John Rule b.1822 s/o John Rule & Grace (who married in 1841 a Grace Hocking b.1823).  Some how I don't think my John Rule's mother is Grace Bray as you have her son John being born 1811.   
Regards
Christine

Offline krisesjoint

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Its my Party - I can eat cake
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Saturday 17 September 11 23:52 BST (UK) »
Hi Christine,

What about

John RULE = Grace SAMPSON 9 May 1812 in Illogan.

Grace aged 45 is at Tuckingmill in 1841 with her children (John aged 18  being the oldest listed - he is a miner -youngest child is only 4)

HO107/142/6 Folio 38 Page 17

http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,144624.0.html

Cheers Kris  :)
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk