Author Topic: Ireland to Everton, Duffy  (Read 918 times)

Offline Benn2509

• RootsChat Senior
  • Benn Westwood 1977 - Present
    • View Profile
Ireland to Everton, Duffy
« on: Monday 14 November 05 18:55 GMT (UK) »
I'm trying to trace my great great grandparents, all I know is that they moved from Ireland and settled in Everton sometime in the late 1800's. My great grandfathers surname was Duffy, but I believe he changed it to that later in life. I think the original surname was Coogan, but I have no way of verifying this.
Can anyone suggest what I can do, or where to research irish immigrants and changes of name?.
I look forward to any replies.
Regards, Benn.
Westwood. Johnson. Webbon. Duffy. Street. Turner. Haycock. McGlynn. Cogan. Reavey.

Offline Cedas

• RootsChat Member
  • my worst fear - I will turn into my 3 x gt grandma
    • View Profile
Re: Ireland to Everton, Duffy
« Reply #1 on: Monday 14 November 05 19:58 GMT (UK) »
You could start by looking for them in 1871 -1891 census - do you have any other family member's names?  Any birth, marriage or death certs to give you a clue.  Everton was very popular with the Irish so you will need a bit more info to move on.
Davies: Flintshire & Liverpool<br />Williams: Anglesey & Liverpool<br />Hughes: Anglesey<br />Evans: N Wales<br />Street: Lancs & Cheshire<br />Skilling: Liverpool & Ulster<br />Gilfillan: Co Down<br />McNickle: Ulster, Derry<br />Dempsey: Co Derry<br />Bilsborrow: Liverpool<br />Potter: Liverpool
Also special interest in Edinburgh, Whiting and Goodger

Offline Benn2509

• RootsChat Senior
  • Benn Westwood 1977 - Present
    • View Profile
Re: Ireland to Everton, Duffy
« Reply #2 on: Monday 14 November 05 20:08 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for that Cedas, I'll have an ask around with my cousins, and see if they can come up with any other family names or certificates.
I've just noticed on your profile, your researching 'Street' family in Lancs and cheshire. Do you have any from Oldham area? I have a Bertha Street, born 1906 in middleton.
Westwood. Johnson. Webbon. Duffy. Street. Turner. Haycock. McGlynn. Cogan. Reavey.