Author Topic: army recruitment 1871  (Read 641 times)

Offline fizzybubble

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
army recruitment 1871
« on: Thursday 17 November 05 21:36 GMT (UK) »
Now imagine I am a young blacksmith in Cornwall in 1870 and I am keen to join the army. How would I go about it in the absence of an army recruiting office ?

Fizzy
Cornwall - Mutton Brown Trevethan Mugford Higham
Yorkshire - Thirlwall

Offline manmack

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: army recruitment 1871
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 17 November 05 22:46 GMT (UK) »
the nearest barracks,and if hes a blacksmith,the nearest cavalry or artillery one,mack
military history,mainly ww1,manchester pals battalions,tyneside irish +tyneside scottish brigades,leeds,liverpool,accrington,birmingham,hull,barnsley,swansea and salford pals.

Offline Hackstaple

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Family researcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 17 November 05 23:45 GMT (UK) »
That was the time when every county, I think, had its own County regiment. Sometimes there would be several battalions of a regional regiment such as the South Wales Borderers. Even if the regiment itself was overseas a home depot organization remained behind, That was particularly important to maintain regimental strength - replacing deaths and retirements and, for the cavalry, to find and send out remounts. Trains went eveywhere and recruiting sergeants had books of rail warrants. So, a young man need not go far even if he wished to join one of the Corps such as the Royal Artillery, Royal Horse Artillery or Royal Engineers.
Southern or Southan [Hereford , Monmouthshire & Glos], Jenkins, Meredith and Morgan [Monmouthshire and Glos.], Murrill, Damary, Damry, Ray, Lawrence [all Middx. & London], Nethway from Kenn or Yatton. Also Riley and Lyons in South Africa and Riley from St. Helena.
Any census information included in this post is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline fizzybubble

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 18 November 05 11:08 GMT (UK) »
In 1869 the young man in question was in Camborne as he married there and by 1871 census he was in the Army Service Corps in Chatham.  I wonder where the nearest barracks to Camborne was or would he have been sitting in the pub one night when the mobile recruiters came in ? It may not have taken much to persuade him as his Grandad was in the army in the early 1800s.

Was it possible to go straight to the Army Service Corps or would he have been likely to join the Duke of Cornwalls Light Infantry first.

Thanks for all your help.

Fizzy
Cornwall - Mutton Brown Trevethan Mugford Higham
Yorkshire - Thirlwall