Author Topic: Snaddon/Sneddon/Snedden and Whitelaw Families  (Read 8398 times)

Offline asneddon

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Snaddon/Sneddon/Snedden and Whitelaw Families
« Reply #9 on: Friday 10 August 18 05:30 BST (UK) »
Not sure if any of you are still on here but I'm related to the Sneddon/Whitelaw as well as lots of other sneddons.  Send me a message if you want to connect.

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Friday 10 August 18 10:22 BST (UK) »
Hi asneddon, welcome to RootsChat.

People can only send and receive private messages after they have made three or more posts in the forum.

Why not tell us a bit more about which Sneddon you are related to and how?
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline asneddon

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Friday 10 August 18 16:24 BST (UK) »
My great grandfather was Thomas Sneddon 1885 and he married Janet Robertson Gowans 1891.  Thomas' dad was Richard Sneddon 1848 married to Isabella Campbell Aitken 1851.  Richards father was another Richard Sneddon 1808 married Elizabeth Sharp 1811 and upon her death he got together with Margaret Walllace 1830 who was their maid and had 4 more children including my Richard.  Richards 1808 father is John Sneddon 1785 who was married to Margaret Marshal 1784.  John's father is Robert Sneddon who was married to Euphram Small 1749.  That's as far as I've gotten.  There are many branches that I've found including Grant, Baird, Whitelaw, Wark, Galloway, etc.  Basically most Sneddon's in Bo'Ness and Lanarkshire would be related somehow I'm sure. 

On my great grandmothers side she was a Lees.  I have a lot of information on the Lees lines if anyone wants information. 

Offline elaine gray

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Friday 10 August 18 19:14 BST (UK) »
Hi, I'm tagging on to this thread as I'm looking for info on the sneddens (various spellings I know). I have Janet snedden marrying John moffat in 1937.Janet's parents are John snedden and Elizabeth andrews, as per marr cert. I cannot find the marriage for John and Elizabeth,I've even thought that maybe Elizabeth was married before and Andrews is her married name. Anyway, any help appreciated. Found previous messages interesting, hopefully once I find out more I can connect to the folks mentioned.
Thanks, Elaine

Offline asneddon

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Friday 10 August 18 19:19 BST (UK) »
Elaine do you have any dates?  I have lots of John Sneddon's throughout my tree and lots of Elizabeth Sneddons but no Elizabeth Andrews.  If I had dates even say 1800 vs 1900 then I can check my tree.  I'm on myheritage.  You can upload your tree for free there and you pay only if you want the matches which I did and I found living relatives around the world including two Sneddon's, one in Scotland and one in Pennsylvania lol. 

Offline elaine gray

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Friday 10 August 18 19:52 BST (UK) »
Hi, thanks for replying. I don't have a lot, Janet married in 1937,she must have been about 22 then because in my notes I have put her dob as 1916.so what does that make her dad's dob?? Can only guess, that's what am trying to do, get further back on him.
I'm on ancestry and my heritage, got a bit of a tree on MH, that's the winter project to get it filled up more. I have dna test done on my heritage. So if any of the snedden and related families have MH test done, look and see if I'm matched to you. UK based. I am highly matched to Janet and John, and feel, looking at the names it's through snedden. Once again, thanks

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Friday 10 August 18 19:54 BST (UK) »
I have Janet snedden marrying John moffat in 1937.Janet's parents are John snedden and Elizabeth andrews, as per marr cert. I cannot find the marriage for John and Elizabeth,I've even thought that maybe Elizabeth was married before and Andrews is her married name.
There's no listing in the Scotland's People index of a marriage of a Janet Sn*d*n to a John Moffat in 1937. There is a marriage of Janet Sneddon to William James Moffat in Glasgow Blythswood in 1937.

Where did your Janet Sneddon marry John Moffat?

Janet Sneddon, other surname Moffat, mother's surname Andrews, died in Auchinleck in 1991, aged 76. Her death certificate will tell you her date of birth, which should help you to find her birth certificate. This will tell you the date and place of her parents' marriage, unless of course she was illegitimate.

You cannot access the death certificate online because it is less than 50 years ago, but you can order a copy online, or perhaps some helpful person who plans a visit to Register House might be willing to transcribe it for you.

Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline elaine gray

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Friday 10 August 18 20:00 BST (UK) »
Oh I'm so sorry, I got mixed up, it is William Moffat and janet.

Offline asneddon

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Friday 10 August 18 20:04 BST (UK) »
Sorry Elaine,

I don't have either of them as far as I can see in my tree although I do have a Janet Moffat Sneddon in my tree but weirdly enough parents are John Sneddon and Caroline McFarlane lol.