Author Topic: McNeela's From Newport, Mayo  (Read 9835 times)

Offline james_edge

• My email address is not working sorry
  • RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
McNeela's From Newport, Mayo
« on: Saturday 19 November 05 14:59 GMT (UK) »
Hi,

I am trying to find out about a McNeela family of Newport. My ancestor was named Michael McNeela born on the 29th January 1911. On his two marriage certificates it says his father was a Patrick McNeela. Michael moved to England before 1936. That is all I know. Does anybody else know of the same family? I know there are quite a few McNeela's in Mayo.

James

Offline heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: McNeela's From Newport, Mayo
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 26 November 05 09:47 GMT (UK) »
Does this help-
1901 census - see Leitrim Roscommon site has McNeelas at Letterlough, Burrishoole - which seems to be the right area. There is a Patrick aged 29 yrs- already has a son Patrick J. aged 2 months - so would be the right age to still be having children in 1911.
You can see Irish BMD at LDS libraries.
By the look of various sites there still seems to be McNeelas there - you probably have looked at those.
Good luck
Heywood
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline james_edge

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 02 December 05 21:18 GMT (UK) »
Hi,

Sorry for replying so late. I have seen several McNeela. I am planning to order an Irish census but don't know when I'll be doing that. Thanks for the info. Very Grateful.

James

Offline EmerMc

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 08 March 06 16:15 GMT (UK) »
I have a feeling you are looking for the McNeelas who are from Swinford (just down the road from Newport). There are still a number of them there from the dates you have given it may be my grandfather's family but I need to check - he was one of about 11.

Offline james_edge

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 10 March 06 09:18 GMT (UK) »
Hi

Thanks for the reply but I have no idea. My grandmother has mentioned a Martin McNeela who could have been a brother. Does he rng any bells?

James

Offline pjmcn

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 02 May 09 00:45 BST (UK) »
hello james
Are you still looking to trace mcneelas from letterlough?my grandfathers brother was martin I believe

Offline bishopspark

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 11 August 09 14:43 BST (UK) »
Hi
My father's family are the McNeelas from Letterlough. His name was Martin and he was one of five boys. The others, my uncles, were Patrick (Paddy), Jim, Jack and Michael. My Dad was born in 1907 and I know Michael was the youngest so 1911 would have been a very feasible birth year for him. I think Jim and Jack were older than my dad
Hope this helps, albeit belatedly

Offline pjmcn

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 11 August 09 17:33 BST (UK) »
Hi
my grandfather was Jack, martin was my great uncle. Do you know which person the original query is from. User name james

Offline bishopspark

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 11 August 09 20:39 BST (UK) »
Hi
So you must be related to PJ? He must be one of your uncles? If you are then you've just found yourself another heap of relatives :)
I don't know the original enquirer "james" He must be Michael's son from his first marriage. ( I vaguely remember someone telling me that he had been married twice) I only met Uncle Michael a few months before he died, by which time Altzeimer's (Alzheimer's) had set in and I never got to know the personality behind the physical presence. His (2nd) wife was Lucie and they moved from N. London to Dereham in Norfolk. He's now buried at East Bilney Church near Dereham. He must have lost touch with his 4 brothers because my dad only found him just before his death