Author Topic: Hannon's in Dublin  (Read 3465 times)

Offline james_edge

• My email address is not working sorry
  • RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Hannon's in Dublin
« on: Saturday 19 November 05 15:17 GMT (UK) »
Hi,

I am looking for a Michael Hannon who married Isabella Logan. He was born in Dublin. I don't have a date/year of birth. - probably around 1900 - 1915. He had one borther named Luke and two sisters. Michael and Isabella had eight children named Luke (born 1928), Jimmy, Thomas, Michael, Isabelle and Maisy Hannon. Does anybody know this family?

James

Offline Christopher

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • 1939 - 2009
    • View Profile
Re: Hannon's in Dublin
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 19 November 05 18:52 GMT (UK) »
Hello James,

Do you know the religious persuasion of this family? In the 1950s I was educated at school in Dublin. Among the pupils there at that time were two brothers with the surname Hannon. One had the Christian name Michael.

Best Wishes, Christopher

Offline james_edge

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 19 November 05 19:12 GMT (UK) »
Hi,

I think they were catholic.

James

Offline Christopher

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • 1939 - 2009
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 19 November 05 21:15 GMT (UK) »
Hello James,

There were several families by the name of Hannon, and also by the name Logan, living in Dublin at the time of Griffiths Valuation of Ireland being recorded in the city (1848-51) http://www.failteromhat.com/griffiths.php This chart indicates they lived in the same parish - http://scripts.ireland.com/ancestor/surname/index.cfm

Best Wishes, Christopher

Offline Rustie

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 20 November 05 10:21 GMT (UK) »
Hi James
Can't help you with the names you have quoted but I have a prayer card for a Patrick Hannon.  Address at date of death was 97 Caledon Road, East Wall, Dublin.  Died 18 October 1948 aged 20 years.  Don't know who he is, why he died or what he means to my family.  It was found in my mother's prayer book after she died, so she obviously had some fondness for him.  Her name before marriage was Eileen Moore and she was from East Wall.
Lorraine
Moore, Loughrey, Mullins, Dare, Seward, Pitman, Bromfield. Ciss, Rutkovskis, Newell, Draper, Stapelton, Greene.

Offline james_edge

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 25 November 05 12:23 GMT (UK) »
Hi,

Thanks Christopher for your replies. Very useful. Sorry I took so long to reply. Do you remember what the other Hannon's name was? I forgot to mention in my first message that my grandfather Luke Hannon was called Louis by some people. I don't know why though.

Hi Lorraine. I am not familiar with Dublin and I'm not sure where East wall is. However, I don't think there was a Patrick born around 1928 as my grandfather was born in 1928. He moved to England in 1955. I've hear that there are a lot of Hannon's in Dublin and it may be another family. Thanks for letting me know though. If I hear of East Wall again or Caledon Road I will let you know immediately.

Offline Christopher

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • 1939 - 2009
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 26 November 05 06:58 GMT (UK) »
Hi James,

The other Hannon at school in my time was called Brian. There was another brother there before my time, David. I feel I should have mentioned I attended St Columba's College, Rathfarnham, Co. Dublin which was founded in the 1800s by members of the Anglican Church.

Bishop Brian Hannon www.gazette.ireland.anglican.org/newsdesk6-221200.htm is the father of musician Neil Hannon of Divine Comedy www.northernshow.biz/neil_hannon.htm

Offline james_edge

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 02 December 05 21:22 GMT (UK) »
Hi,

Sorry for the late reply. I was just wondering what the other name was because, my grandfather was named Luke but people called him Lewis for some reason. Brian or David don't ring any bells though. I am not sure which schools he attended though. Thanks for trying to help.

James

Offline Christopher

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • 1939 - 2009
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 02 December 05 21:53 GMT (UK) »
Hello James,

Have you looked at the Genforum Hannons in Ireland? 

http://genforum.genealogy.com/cgi-bin/search.cgi?forum=hannon&url=%2Fhannon%2F&path=%2Fhannon%2F&terms=Dublin&boolean=AND

This one is more about the history of the  name Hannon www.clanhannon.com/households.htm

Best Wishes, Chris