Author Topic: Chat Room ???  (Read 6045 times)

madbadrob

Re: Chat Room ???
« Reply #9 on: Friday 03 September 04 19:27 BST (UK) »
Trystan,

My system is up todate both with hardware and software and I can tell you that the problems still persist.  In fact last night when I tried to communicate with Admin in the room I could  type I could hit send but it never made it to the room.  I feel this is probably something to do with the Flash programming.  It took logging out of Rootschat and logging back in then entering chat again to clear it.  All that said Thank god it isn't a java based chat room lol

Offline trystan

• Administrator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • RootsChat Co-founder
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Friday 03 September 04 21:35 BST (UK) »
Rob,

It'sa really tricky one - our last ChatterBox was Java based, and it was a right bind - the majority of people either couldn't use it, or it was such a lengthy download that people gave up on it, and it was hosted by another company.

The RootsChatterBox is there as just a bit more for people to use, it isn't the "core" of RootsChat by any means, so people are not missing out a great deal if they cannot get into it. It does however work with a great majority of computers, so if you are one of the lucky ones then great! If you can't get in at the moment, then are trialling another upgraded version in a couple of weeks.

Right now (at 21:30 in the UK) we have six people chatting in the RootsChatterBox common room.

Trystan

Send RootsChat a postcard:
RootsChat.com, Europa House, Barcroft Street, Bury, Lancashire, BL9 5BT
Admin Tip: Forgotten your Username or Password and would like to reply to one of these messages?  CLICK HERE to get a reminder.
AOL Users: You may need to 'cut and paste' any links you get in emails for them to work.

Offline Gardener

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Friday 03 September 04 22:05 BST (UK) »
Just got in the room and found other people there for the first time! Would it be possible to show (at the top of the home page maybe) how many are in the chat room, even their user names? Maybe as a roll along flyer above the news bit? Sorry, I don't know anything about webpages - though I am going on  a course next month :) Just wondering out loud...
Rose (Black Country),Downs (Black Country),Wolloxall (any and all),Bark (Derbyshire),Wright (Derbyshire),Marsden (Derbyshire), Wallace (Black Country)

All census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline trystan

• Administrator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • RootsChat Co-founder
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Friday 03 September 04 23:22 BST (UK) »
Yes - that's a very good idea (thank you!) - if we had an idea that somebody was in the RootsChatterbox then we might all go in there - I'll put my thinking cap on and see what I can figure out!

Trystan
Admin Tip: Forgotten your Username or Password and would like to reply to one of these messages?  CLICK HERE to get a reminder.
AOL Users: You may need to 'cut and paste' any links you get in emails for them to work.

Offline BarryBear

• RootsChat Member
  • "You got some disgusting 'abits you really 'ave!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Friday 03 September 04 23:30 BST (UK) »
Hi Admin,
Was trying again but so frustrating to keep entering password and only randomly get in. Thanks for trying. Good luck with the new version. Cheers
Barry :)
Lawson in Durham and Croydon,
Corbett in Surrey,
Watts in Surrey and Croydon,
King in Herts,
Knight in South East London,
Papworth in East London,
Brewer in Essex,
Eley/Ely in Essex,
NewburyNewberry in Herts
Fillery in Surrey
Waugh in Durham

Offline RootsChat

• Administrator
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
  • RootsChat Administration
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Friday 03 September 04 23:35 BST (UK) »

oh Barry,

I am very sorry it must have been so frustraiting for especially as you could see me chatting to you!!

RootsChat
Broken Links: Please report to us of any links that no longer work, or ones that are no longer appropriate by clicking the "Report to moderator" link on the message. Thanks! Get Poster

Offline trystan

• Administrator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • RootsChat Co-founder
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Friday 03 September 04 23:36 BST (UK) »
Barry,

I think you may have a "cookie problem".

You need to have cookies enabled. RootsChat used to be plagued by cookie problems, but thankfully now it's only the RootsChatterBox that is afflicted by it.

You can either enable all cookies - or put RootsChat as a "trusted" site (that's only if you trust us of course!). In our agreement, we do promise not to pass on any of your details to anybody.

If we break our promise, the you can freely come round here and beat us up, except we do bruise easily. :)

Trystan

Offline BarryBear

• RootsChat Member
  • "You got some disgusting 'abits you really 'ave!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Sunday 05 September 04 00:21 BST (UK) »
Hi Guys,
It was frustrating not being able to reply. I know cookies are enabled on my computer but i'll try and see if it might have a trust thing on it somewhere. For a computer user i'm a great tree surgeon. Don't worry I won't come beat you up, but I might send my sister round!!! :o
Lawson in Durham and Croydon,
Corbett in Surrey,
Watts in Surrey and Croydon,
King in Herts,
Knight in South East London,
Papworth in East London,
Brewer in Essex,
Eley/Ely in Essex,
NewburyNewberry in Herts
Fillery in Surrey
Waugh in Durham