Author Topic: Kilkenny Surname in Mayo  (Read 20463 times)

Offline dizcaz

• I am sorry but my emails are no longer working
  • RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Kilkenny Surname in Mayo
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 27 July 08 18:51 BST (UK) »
Hello, we have corresponded before.  The only 3 Patrick Kilkennys I have found that might possibly be parents to your John are a Patrick Kilkenny and Mary Lyons who married in Bekan Parish in Sept 1843...I have no other info on this couple although it is likely they lived in Hazelhill, Ballyhaunis, Annagh Parish.  The other couple are of Liscat in Knock Parish.   I recently went to the records office in Dublin and found the Deaths of a Patrick Kilkenny and his wife Mary Kilkenny in the 1890's in Liscat, they were both in their 80's when they died. The other Death I found was for a Patrick Kilkenny who died in 1887 in Killeen, Knock Parish.  (He was in his 70's when he died)  I do believe that this Patrick Kilkenny of Killeen is my family though, alhtough of course I am not 100% certain and although it states on his Death Cert that he is "Married"  I never found a Death Record for his wife.   

I do believe you need to be looking at the Kilkenny's in Liscat and also in Hazelhill.  You will find the Patrick Kilkenny of Hazelhill on the 1856 Griffiths Valuation.  He had a brother named Owen who lived in Drumbaun (Annagh Parish) and possibly a brother named John who lived in Cloontumper (Annagh Parish).   I do not know much about the Kilkenny's of Liscat and do not know if the Patrick and Mary there had  Sons named Patrick and John but they possibly will have had a Son named Patrick who will have been named after his Father.

What were the names (in order of birth) of the children of your John and his brother Patrick?  You will usually find that the first Son is named after the Fathers Father and the second Daughter named after the Fathers Mother?

There were of course Kilkenny families in Ballindine Co Mayo which I know nothing about.  If you would like to contact a descendent of the Ballindine Kilkenny's please email me. 

My name is Carol Disley and my Cousin is Sandy Lovell and we have emailed you before. 

Offline margieb

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 30 September 08 14:28 BST (UK) »
Hi I have a Patrick Kilkenny as a witness to the marriage of my Gt gtGrandad James Kelly (b. Ireland)and Bridget Ford (b.Clooncah, Roscommon)in Nov 1869 at St Marys RC church in Bury Lancashire England. A Patrick and Bridget Kilkenny are godparents to their second child John born in 1873 so as you say your Patrick married a Bridget Kelly this could be James's sister. I am stuck with James _I know his father was John Kelly a farmer who was deceased by 1869 but I don't know where in Ireland my Kelly's came from. I found a Patrick Kilkenny on the 1891 cencus for Bury he was b 1859 his wife is Sarah he was born in Aughamore, Co. Mayo obviousley he's not yours but there may be a connection.
I would appreciate it if you would share the details of the marriage of Patrick and Bridget.
Regards
Margieb

Offline margieb

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 30 September 08 14:30 BST (UK) »
Hello

wondering if anyone can help we have the surname Kilkenny and on the census for the Uk our direct ancestor John Kilkenny states his birth to be County Mayo He had a brother Patrick Kilkenny father Patrick kilkenny mother mary unknown

John Kilkenny married in Bury lancashire to rosannah gaghen ( she is said to be from Roscommon and parents are thomas gaghen and sarah unknown
John kilkenny changes his ages on various census and in 1871 is said to be 25 years old in 1881 states to be 38  in 1891 states 46 and in 1901 states 48  on his marriage certificate in october 1871 he states to be 26 years old so we think he was born around 1845 in mayo?
Patrick Kilkenny marries in Bury lancashire to Bridget Kelly

John and Patreick's father's occupation varied from march 1871 agricultural labourer to the october marriage when he is down as a spademan

both marriages in 1871 and all 4 people coming from ireland we have traced

We therefore estimated that his father patrick would have been born in the 1820's and that is where it ends we cannot get any further

any help would be gratefully appreciated

Thanks

Angi
Hi I have a Patrick Kilkenny as a witness to the marriage of my Gt gtGrandad James Kelly (b. Ireland)and Bridget Ford (b.Clooncah, Roscommon)in Nov 1869 at St Marys RC church in Bury Lancashire England. A Patrick and Bridget Kilkenny are godparents to their second child John born in 1873 so as you say your Patrick married a Bridget Kelly this could be James's sister. I am stuck with James _I know his father was John Kelly a farmer who was deceased by 1869 but I don't know where in Ireland my Kelly's came from. I found a Patrick Kilkenny on the 1891 cencus for Bury he was b 1859 his wife is Sarah he was born in Aughamore, Co. Mayo obviousley he's not yours but there may be a connection.
I would appreciate it if you would share the details of the marriage of Patrick and Bridget.
Regards
Margieb

Offline MK1

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 09 November 09 18:29 GMT (UK) »
[my greatgrandfather was Patrick Kilkenny of Liscat. probably related to you  MK1

Offline margieb

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday 10 November 09 09:45 GMT (UK) »
Hi, Thank you for your reply. Would you mind giving me some more details of your ancester and his birthplace?
regards Margieb

Offline MK1

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday 10 November 09 13:50 GMT (UK) »
Patrick Kilkenny lived at Liscat, Knock with his wife Mary? He was there at the time of Griffith's PLV 1851 having moved there from Falleighter, Aghamore. He had a son Michael who was my grandfather and I also believe he had children named Margaret, John & Patrick. There were probably other children as well. This I can research. John and patrick would have emigrated probably to England as would any other siblings they had or they may have gone to America. I have just started putting this together so details are scant at the moment. My grandfather Michael married Mary Morley and they had a number of children. Mary and several of the children got the black flu in the early 1900's and died in a workhouse. Two children survived William and Margaret both of whom emigrated. My grandfather remarried and had two more children Thomas And Kate. Thomas was my father

Offline kpeyton

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Friday 11 February 11 00:17 GMT (UK) »

There were of course Kilkenny families in Ballindine Co Mayo which I know nothing about.  If you would like to contact a descendent of the Ballindine Kilkenny's please email me. 

My name is Carol Disley and my Cousin is Sandy Lovell and we have emailed you before. 

I am researching Kilkenny family connections in Mayo that have lead me to the Ballindine Killkenny's, but have hit a wall in my research. I am trying to find the parents and siblings of Bridget [Kilkenny] Holian (b.1832-d.1907). She married Austin Holian (b.1825-d.1898) and had at least 3 children named Mary (b. 1864), Peter (b.1866) and Austin (b.1876).

Any help in tracking down Bridget's parents, siblings and/or other children would be greatly appreciated.   

Offline dizcaz

• I am sorry but my emails are no longer working
  • RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Sunday 19 June 11 16:38 BST (UK) »
Hi Angie...I am 99% certain that you are from the Liscat Kilkenny family.....Patrick Kilkenny and Mary Cunnane had many children....According to public member trees that i have seen online at ancestry.co.uk they had a John and a Patrick who went to England (Lancashire)... Im certain this will be your John and your Patrick....

I have studied these Kilkenny families for years and only recently found out which family I am descended from which is NOT the Liscat Kilkennys....

Patrick K of Liscat had a brother named James Kilkenny who lived in Killeen Townland, Knock Co Mayo.....Patrick and James's Father was John.  You can see him (John) on the 1856 Griffiths Valuation living in the Killeen Townland in Knock Parish.  Your John will have been named after his Grandfather (John of Killeen) and your Patrick will have been named after his Father (Patrick of Liscat).

I have much information on both the Liscat and Killeen Kilkennys if you need any information please feel free to contact me.....

Regards, Carol 

Offline angi0

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Monday 20 June 11 12:34 BST (UK) »
Hello Carol

Well this does look promising and the best lead in years of a brick wall.. Our patrick & John lied about there ages for years and after Patrick Marries Bridget Kelly we lose track of him completeley.. we know from both there marriage certificates that there father was a Patrick Kilkenny and mother mary maiden name unknown.. I will dig more out later.. just acknowledging your post

angie
Riley- Lancashire Blackburn
Regan
Birtwistle - Lancashire back to 1160
Kilkenny - County May0
Nuttall -Lancashire
Smethurst Lancashire
Sparnon- Cornwall and Dalton in Furness
Whiteside dalton in furness
crossley lancashire

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk