Author Topic: Burlington Slate Quarry, Kirkby Ireleth,Lancs.  (Read 5101 times)

Offline Romilly

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Burlington Slate Quarry, Kirkby Ireleth,Lancs.
« on: Sunday 20 November 05 10:40 GMT (UK) »
Hello,

I wonder if anyone can help with this?

I am trying to find some information on the Burlington Slate Quarry at, or near to Kirkby Ireleth. (Was Lancs now part of Cumbria).

Both my Great Grandfather, William Wilson & my Grandfather, William James Wilson, (1860-1937) worked there as Slate Quarriers.

Any info welcome,

Cheers, Romilly.
Any census information included in this post is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Researching:
Wilson, Warren, Dulston, Hooper, Duffin, Petty, Rees, Davies, Williams, Newman, Dyer, Hamilton, Edmeads, Pattenden.

Offline Crinoline

• RootsChat Member
  • Looking for some roots...
    • View Profile
Re: Burlington Slate Quarry, Kirkby Ireleth,Lancs.
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 18 July 06 21:05 BST (UK) »

My Grandfather worked at the Burlington Slate Quarry too!!

Crinoline.
Any census information included in this post is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline jimgillbanks

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 19 July 06 10:33 BST (UK) »
Hi Romilly, there is a book entitled Burlington Blue and Grey by Richard Stanley Geddes which gives the history of the Quarries and is packed with pictures and names of the quarrymen who worked there. I ordered a copy through the Inter-Libraries Scheme. Some of my family lived in Kirkby and worked in the quarry, but found no pic's of them, but many are un-named. Jim.
Banks, Gillbanks, Fallows families in the  Furness area of Lancashire
Banks, Gillbanks, Cumberland. Westmoreland, Lancashire.
Betteridge, Liverpool,

Offline Romilly

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 09 December 06 14:21 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for the book info Jim,

I will check it out.

Cheers, Romilly.
Researching:
Wilson, Warren, Dulston, Hooper, Duffin, Petty, Rees, Davies, Williams, Newman, Dyer, Hamilton, Edmeads, Pattenden.

Offline Romilly

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 28 October 07 17:38 GMT (UK) »
Hi Romilly, there is a book entitled Burlington Blue and Grey by Richard Stanley Geddes which gives the history of the Quarries and is packed with pictures and names of the quarrymen who worked there. I ordered a copy through the Inter-Libraries Scheme. Some of my family lived in Kirkby and worked in the quarry, but found no pic's of them, but many are un-named. Jim.

I've now obtained a copy of this book Jim, through Inter-Library loans.

I'm finding it quite fascinating, & have found (I think) my Grandfather's brother, Isaac Wilson in one of the pics. Also, his nephew Matthew Wilson in another.

Its a shame that this book is now so hard to get hold of...I'd love a copy of my own.

I'm now hoping to visit the quarry sometime in the spring, - I wonder if its still being worked?

Romilly.
Researching:

Offline jimgillbanks

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 29 October 07 11:15 GMT (UK) »
Hi Romilly, I am pleasd you have  a loan of it, put a request into the Wanted section, I got a book about Torver there which enabled me to go back one generation.
Re the quarry, as far as I know it is still in operation, but on a smaller scale. Regards, Jim.
Betteridge, Liverpool,

Offline lakelandboyrichard

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 20 November 14 13:06 GMT (UK) »
My father was the author of the 'Burlington Blue Grey'.....a history of the quarries at Kirkby, which he compiled over a three year period following his retirement in the late 60s, after a lifetime service. He was originally employed by Sir Richard Cavendish of Holker Hall  {Cavendish Estates owned the Quarries] as General Manager. My earliest memories of visiting the quarries date back to the 50s, when some 400 people were employed....in conditions that would be totally unacceptable today!! At that time, slate was still carried down the hill to 'Incline Foot',where it was loaded onto railway wagons for onward shipment, there being no suitable road access at the time. I discovered after my father's death in 1992, that he had secretly helped many 'quarrymen' secure local housing through his own funding/generosity, although this was never publicised. He also served as a local Magistrate, and was Chairman of the Ulverston court for many years.

Offline Romilly

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 20 November 14 13:58 GMT (UK) »

Very interesting to read about your memories, lakelandboyrichard. Thanks for your Post.

Until the 1911 Census became available, I was convinced that the William James Wilson, Born 1860, Kirkby Ireleth was my late Grandfather. I sent off for BMD's, visited the places named on the earlier Censuses, and sent out Family Trees to family members. I was so pleased to have found roots in that beautiful part of the country...

However, - once the 1911 Census became available... it became apparant that the William James Wilson in Kirkby Ireleth... was still single/living at home/working as a Labourer in the Quarry...

Whereas, - my late Grandfather William James Wilson had married my Grandmother in Swansea in 1893, founded his Company, 'Wilson and Co' in Swansea in 1895, and on the 1911 Census was living in Swansea with my Grandmother and their six sons, - one of whom was my late Father.

Ergo, - bang went my Lakeland heritage and roots!! (A salutary example of jumping to conclusions in family history without the benefit of firm evidence:-(((

Best Wishes, Romilly.
Researching:

Offline jimgillbanks

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 21 November 14 19:05 GMT (UK) »
Hi lakelandboyrichard, thanks for that information, my 4xGreat GrandfatherIsaac Gillbanks 1732-1798 and his son Joseph 1781-1835 were both Blacksmiths in Beckside, Kirkby, I know Joseph worked at the quarry, and wonder whether he and his father learned their trade there.
Best Wishes, Jim Gillbanks.
Betteridge, Liverpool,