Author Topic: Burlington Slate Quarry, Kirkby Ireleth,Lancs.  (Read 5095 times)

Offline lakelandboyrichard

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Burlington Slate Quarry, Kirkby Ireleth,Lancs.
« Reply #9 on: Friday 21 November 14 19:49 GMT (UK) »
Good Evening, and thank you for your interesting message. Prior to the 1940s introduction of small diesel locomotives...manufactured, I believe, by Rushton......the slate rock was taken from the quarry face on 'bogeys' pulled by hardy ponies. Burlington 'employed' a large team of such ponies, and of course it was important that they were 'shoed' properly. In addition, slates were 'dressed' with special cutting tools, like a long heavy chisel, and indeed there was still an official 'blacksmith' gainfully employed by the Quarries certainly until the late 60s/early 70s. Have you read ''Burlington Blue-Grey''
Kind Regards

Offline jimgillbanks

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Friday 21 November 14 20:43 GMT (UK) »
Hi, yes, I ordered a copy through the Library Lending Service about 8 years ago, It was a very interesting book with plenty of affiliated family names, But one name in particular was of interest, it stated that Joseph Gillbanks, a retired employee had died in 1835, he was my 3x Great Grandfather, he, and his sons owned the Smithy in Beckside, one of his sons, Isaac 1813-1863 was married in Liverpool in 1841, I am descended from him. The Gillbanks family in Kirkby and Lind End, Broughton in Furness also used the name Banks on a daily basis. Best Wishes, Jim.
Banks, Gillbanks, Fallows families in the  Furness area of Lancashire
Banks, Gillbanks, Cumberland. Westmoreland, Lancashire.
Betteridge, Liverpool,

Offline Dianelakes

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 14 August 18 14:39 BST (UK) »
Yipee I have been able to add another couple of relative to the Gillbanks tree. Thanks Jim

Offline Dianelakes

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 14 August 18 14:52 BST (UK) »
Hi Jim
What was the book you were referring to please?
As i am searching my Gillbanks family tree too.
Cheers
Diane

Offline Romilly

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday 14 August 18 17:42 BST (UK) »
Hi Romilly, there is a book entitled Burlington Blue and Grey by Richard Stanley Geddes which gives the history of the Quarries and is packed with pictures and names of the quarrymen who worked there. I ordered a copy through the Inter-Libraries Scheme. Some of my family lived in Kirkby and worked in the quarry, but found no pic's of them, but many are un-named. Jim.

This is the book Diane, - as per the quote from Jim above.

Best of luck with your research,
Romilly.
Any census information included in this post is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Researching:
Wilson, Warren, Dulston, Hooper, Duffin, Petty, Rees, Davies, Williams, Newman, Dyer, Hamilton, Edmeads, Pattenden.