Author Topic: MANTLE family of Newchapel near Llandinam & Llanidloes.  (Read 3264 times)

Offline Cambrian

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
MANTLE family of Newchapel near Llandinam & Llanidloes.
« on: Sunday 20 November 05 13:15 GMT (UK) »
Looking for information on

the MANTLE family of NEWCHAPEL near Llandinam & Llanidloes, Montgomeryshire.

Evan Mantle (c1809 - 1887), born in Radnorshire, lived around Newchapel from the 1830s to 1887.

Occupations included labouring and lead mining. He married a few times and a number of his sons moved south to work in Glamorganshire coal mines.

I'm looking for information on Evan Mantle and the wider family as well as any detail about social conditions in the Newchapel, Gorn, Llandinam, Llanidloes and Newtown area in the 19th Century.

Thanks.

Offline davierj

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Gwell Angau na Chywilydd - Mametz Wood 1916
    • View Profile
Re: MANTLE family of Newchapel near Llandinam & Llanidloes.
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 01 December 05 11:46 GMT (UK) »
Hi Cambrian,
Do you already have census information on this family?   I have located them on the 1841, 1851 and 1861 Census.   As most people do not have the 1841 information, here goes...............
HO107/1436/2, Enum Dist 12, Llandinam Parish, Rhydface and Hengynwidd Townships, address Pantyglynen
Evan Mantle, 30, Ag Lab, y
Elizabeth Mantle, 30, y
Elizabeth Mantle, 8, y
Evan Mantle, 6, y
Mary Mantle, 4, y
John Mantle, 2, y
William Mantle, 1, y
This shows that all were born in Montgomeryshire, but the later census confirms Evan was born in Radnorshire - the 1851 shows him born in Golon and the 1861 in Llanbister  ???

I have also traced some of the older children in 1861 - Richard, William and Anne.   John and Evan were not shown in Montgomeryshire and Elizabeth and Mary were probably married by then.   In 1861 Evan is shown married to Jane age 44 and there are 2 young children, David 6 and Thomas 4.

Let me know if you want this information in more detail and I'll be pleased to pass it on.

Cheers Dave 8)
Census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk   Research:   Clements, Jenkins, Jones, Williams, Davies, Renfrey in Cardiganshire.   Trow, Jones, Clayton in Montgomeryshire.  Renfrey, Datsun, May, Stephens in Cornwall.   Foster in Liverpoo.l   Milliner, Fry, in Gloucestershire.  Mawby, Popple in Rutland.   Kent, Fry, Robinson, Nott, Griffiths in Somerset.   Willis in Oxfordshire.   Fishlock, Snell, Fry, in Wiltshire