Author Topic: Wanted Gill Family in Brentwood Essex  (Read 2381 times)

Offline jericho

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Wanted Gill Family in Brentwood Essex
« on: Wednesday 23 November 05 19:07 GMT (UK) »
I am wondering if someone would please check the 1851 census for me to see if there are any Gill Families living in Brentwood in 1851, I have a Caroline Gill age 2 living with her Grandparents Daniel and Lettitia South in the 1851 census and would like to know who her parents are. Thanks

jericho
Census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Nessie

• I am sorry my emails are not working.
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Wanted Gill Family in Brentwood Essex
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 23 November 05 19:16 GMT (UK) »
The only one I could find was an Anne Gill unmar age 29 living in Chelmsford
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline jericho

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 23 November 05 19:24 GMT (UK) »
Hi Nessie

Thanks for taking the time to look

jericho
Census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline lmsouth

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 02 September 18 04:26 BST (UK) »
Hi Jericho. I'm a new member of the site and while doing a search for the name "South", came across your question. You may have already found your answer, but if you haven't ...
Daniel South and Letitia (Wiltshire) South had a daughter named Mary Ann South in 1827 in Hatfield Peverel. Mary Ann is shown in the 1841 census as "Ana" living with the family and then in the 1851 census (24 years old) in Kent, Lewisham, Lewisham Village, listing her as the wife of Charles Gill with a one-year-old son named Charles. That said, she didn't actually marry Charles until 1856 in Shoreditch UK - I have the marriage certificate and it's definitely her as it shows her father listed as Daniel South (as above). My only guess would be that Charles and Mary Ann had two children before marriage and that Caroline went to visit her grandparents at the time of the census. Because I'm not tracking the children of the children, etc., I can't say what happened to Caroline. She's not with her parents or with her grandparents in the following census years. She may have died before the next census. Hope this helps
Lucie

Offline amondg

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 02 September 18 05:43 BST (UK) »
1841 census Hatfield Peveral, Essex
Daniel South 40 ag lab
Letty 40
James 12
Emma 10
Jabez 8
Esther 6
Elizabeth 4

No Mary Ann or Ana

ADDED
Anna is household of John Ling 50 farmer, son William Ling 24, Elizabeth Ling 5, Mary White 20 Female servant, then Anna South 13 female servant

Offline amondg

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 02 September 18 06:43 BST (UK) »
Not sure of the grand daughter description re Daniel South.

Peter Gill and his wife Eliza (nee Fisher) had a daughter Caroline 1848 registered Maldon Essex.

Using new GRO index there is no Caroline Gill with mothers maiden name South.

So its either Peter & Eliza's  daughter who was counted twice, or another Caroline Gill that was not registered.
Charles Gill with mothers maiden name South registered 1850

Offline lmsouth

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 02 September 18 18:53 BST (UK) »
Hi amondg. You're correct in everything you wrote including that Anna South is a servant in the Ling household - my error there. I'm assuming that it's Mary Ann but I don't know that. I've just spent a couple of hours trying to locate the birth of Caroline in the SEAX Parish Registers site, the GRO website, Family Search, Ancestry and The Genealogist and I've come up empty. My knowledge of the family is in the South side so I won't be spending much more time on this although it is bugging me :) There's too many what ifs. It's possible that Caroline is the daughter of Charles from a previous relationship. It's possible that Caroline is the daughter of another and he has adopted her. It's possible that Caroline had another first name. It's possible that she's actually the daughter of Mary Ann and was registered under South (no luck there either) then adopted by Charles, etc. For sure I can say that Mary Ann South, daughter of Daniel South married Charles Gill.
Thanks for checking into it though. When and if I decide to go further into the South children's children, I'll try and figure this one out. Noted in my research.