Author Topic: WHELLER/WHEELER/WELLER - Huish Episcopi  (Read 9492 times)

Offline ms8008y

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: WHELLER/WHEELER/WELLER - Huish Episcopi
« Reply #9 on: Friday 16 May 14 09:25 BST (UK) »
Re Ruth Sweet's parents. I believe they are John Sweet born 1761 and Charlotte Vigar born 1770.

Offline Grahame

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Friday 16 May 14 11:15 BST (UK) »
Hi ms8008y,

When Ruth Sweet married Walter Wheller on 26 December 1822 she was under-aged and needed her parent's consent to marry. She was therefore born between 1801 and 1804. Charlotte Vigar died in childbirth in 1796 and so cannot possibly be the mother of Ruth.

John Sweet remarried in 1800 to Ruth Chard (the widow of Anthony Chard and Charlotte Vigar's sister). BTW John's first wife Elizabeth Vigar was Charlotte and Ruth's first cousin. Under the law at the time such a marriage (to a dead wife's sister) was voidable under ecclesiatical law. I believe that this is why the marriage took place in Bristol - being the nearest place to Pitney that was not in the same diocese, thereby making a challenge difficult. The evidence that this marriage is of John Sweet and Ruth Chard of Pitney, and not just a coincidence of names, is in the Pitney manorial rent records of 1801 where Ruth's holding (inherited from Anthony Chard) is transferred into the name of John Sweet.

John Sweet died in 1830 and was survived by Ruth. In the 1841 census she can be found living with her son George Chard. She died in 1841.

I hope this is helpful.

Regards,

Grahame.

Offline DRH123

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Friday 16 May 14 11:50 BST (UK) »
Hi Grahame

It looks like you have researched the Chards of Pitney. I wonder if you have come across the Joseph Chard baptised there in 1752, described as a bastard and no parent's mentioned? There was also a Samuel in 1749 with the same (lack of) details.

One of my ancestors is a Joseph Chard. He first appears when he married Anne Lovibond of Othery in 1777. They lived at Ilton for several years and then back at Othery. Their sons were called Samuel and Joseph. There was another prominent Chard family in Othery who were a branch of the Pitney family. So I suspect my Joseph could be the bastard from Pitney but have no evidence. Any ideas?

Thanks
David

Offline philheeks

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • My Grandfather, Frank William Gomm
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Saturday 17 May 14 10:47 BST (UK) »
Another thought

Have you tried looking at Ian Sage's web site as it has links to all the free parish register records in Somerset - just type Ian Sage into google & when you get to his home page click on parish registers Good hunting

All the very best

Phil
Weston-super-Mare
Worcestershire - Heeks, Maiden, Pinchin, Hartland, Tredwell, Holliday, Morton, Collins, Aldington, Saunders
Oxfordshire - Gomm, Hamblet, Austin, Winter,
Herefordshire - Lowe
Radnor - Lowe, Powell
Gloucestershire - Holliday, Pinchin

Offline SusanHoskins

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Thursday 19 May 16 05:03 BST (UK) »
Hi Grahame

I was interested to read your comment about John Sweet marrying Ruth Chard.  I can't find the marriage you refer to do you know the exact date the church it occurred?  I am in Australia so just can't pop into local offices to check records.

Regards Susan

Offline 'Trish'

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Friday 13 April 18 21:30 BST (UK) »
I am searching this line, of Whellers & Sweet in Somerset. I have traced line to 1700's.

Regards Trish
Fear, Puddy, Bunn, Hemsbury - Wedmore Somerset.  Watts - Romsey Hants, Frome Somerset, Warminster Wilts & Wokingham Berkshire.  Roberts - Newport, Stone Glos, Austin - Monmouth. Dix or Dicks - Frome. Pugh - Llanbrynmair, Trevithin & Tafolwern