Author Topic: Sheffield Arms - Hessle Road -pre 1917  (Read 13440 times)

Offline Treetotal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Sheffield Arms - Hessle Road -pre 1917
« Reply #18 on: Wednesday 28 November 12 13:23 GMT (UK) »
CAPES Hull. KIRK  Leeds, Hull. JONES  Wales,  Lancashire. CARROLL Ireland, Lancashire, U.S.A. BROUGHTON Leicester, Goole, Hull BORRILL  Lincolnshire, Durham, Hull. GROOM  Wishbech, Hull. ANTHONY St. John's Nfld. BUCKNALL Lincolnshire, Hull. BUTT Harbour Grace, Newfoundland. PARSONS  Western Bay, Newfoundland. MONAGHAN  Ireland, U.S.A. PERRY Cheshire, Liverpool.

RESTORERS:PLEASE DO NOT USE MY RESTORES WITHOUT PRIOR PERMISSION - THANK YOU

Offline Uppo58

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Wednesday 28 November 12 15:57 GMT (UK) »
hi. the Sheffield  arms was inStrickland Street Hessle Road.Hull.i have been in there, it was demolished after second world war,i lived on Hessle Road.
  landgirl

Land Girl, you are right there was a pub down Strickland St, It was and still is called the Strickland Arms and its still there today. The only Sheffield Arms was the one previously mentioned which is on Hessle Rd itself. This area of Hessle Rd were "Sheff" once stood was first built up well before Strickland St was built. As you are alive today the only pub you could have entered down Strickland St was the Strickland Arms. The Sheffield Arms on Hessle Rd was demolished in the late 60s. The Strickland Arms has stood with that name for over 100 years. It was present during the 1911 census records. I think this has to be the pub you went in when you lived on Hessle Rd. If you can remember another pub by the name of  Sheffield Arms down Strickland St that you believe was demolished just after the 2nd World War, that would mean there were 2 pubs of the same name just a stones throw from each other as the Sheff on Hessle Road was definitely standing at that time. There is no record in the 1911 Census of a pub called the Sheffield Arms standing in Strickland St.

Offline Uppo58

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Wednesday 28 November 12 15:58 GMT (UK) »

Offline Treetotal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Wednesday 28 November 12 17:01 GMT (UK) »
CAPES Hull. KIRK  Leeds, Hull. JONES  Wales,  Lancashire. CARROLL Ireland, Lancashire, U.S.A. BROUGHTON Leicester, Goole, Hull BORRILL  Lincolnshire, Durham, Hull. GROOM  Wishbech, Hull. ANTHONY St. John's Nfld. BUCKNALL Lincolnshire, Hull. BUTT Harbour Grace, Newfoundland. PARSONS  Western Bay, Newfoundland. MONAGHAN  Ireland, U.S.A. PERRY Cheshire, Liverpool.

Offline SIMON6135

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Monday 10 December 12 18:27 GMT (UK) »
Hello there

I've just noticed that a post card of the Sheffield Arms has just made an appearence on a certain internet auction site, the item number is 200861865005.

It may be of interest to you.

All the best

Simon
BEESTON LEEDS & HULL
WATTS HULL & BEVERLEY
STEPHENSON HULL & BEVERLEY
CLARKSON HULL

Offline Uppo58

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Wednesday 12 December 12 20:58 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Simon, appreciated.

Offline DJaneC

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Monday 22 December 14 19:17 GMT (UK) »
My great grandparents ran the Sheffield arms pub around 1917 at a guess.  I have a photo of my grandmother and her siblings i.e. Mary, Mona, Joan and John Smith and it says Sheffield Arms, Hessle Road on the back.  As the youngest was born 1916 and looks a little over one I am guessing it's 1917 they also ran the White Hart (not sure if it has an e i.e. Harte)

Offline Treetotal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Monday 22 December 14 19:27 GMT (UK) »
Hi Jane and welcome to Rootschat...what a lovely photo...thanks for sharing.
Carol

Offline Brian75

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Wednesday 05 July 17 14:48 BST (UK) »
Ralph, Milne, Stockton, Atkinson, Kendall, Wise, Davey,