Author Topic: Butler's and Sole's of Hellingly  (Read 3914 times)

Offline penny-zzz

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Butler's and Sole's of Hellingly
« on: Monday 28 November 05 14:48 GMT (UK) »
looking for ancesters of William Butler born approx 1811 Hellingly and Charles Sole born approx 1823 Hellingly.

Thanks for everybodies help so far 

Offline delgirl

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Butler's and Sole's of Hellingly
« Reply #1 on: Monday 13 February 06 20:46 GMT (UK) »
Clutching at straws springs to mind.............
I can't help you with your problem, but I hope you may be able to help me(pretty please!!) I'm looking for a marriage between Martha Butler and John Henry Pollard in Hellingly 21 Nov 1880/1. The register office can't find it, and the BMD books haven't recorded it, but the family search site has it!! Has it been recorded in your tree at all, cos I need to know the names of J H Pollard's father at least. I would be really grateful if you could check or pass on this request to anyone who might know - this is my brick wall at the moment!! Many thanks

Offline sillgen

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 13 February 06 21:03 GMT (UK) »
Hi Delgirl
You need to look at the parish records to see whether there are other Pollards in the registers.  You can get the film and search it at your nearest LDS centre.  They are worldwide and listed on familysearch.
If you click on the batch number at the bottom of the IGI record you can search it for other Pollards or Butler by just putting the surname in.  With luck if you change the M for marriage to a C for Christening you might find others on there too.    There is a site that gives the film numbers for all parishes on the IGI.  Can't remember it at the moment but someone will know it.   Have you looked for earlier census records?
Penny
You might find yours on the parish register film too.  If he is the William still in Hellingly in 1851 then he looks as if he might have owned land (146 acres emp 12) so his father might have left a will.  Have you looked at pre 1858 wills on the Archives documentsonline site?
http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/documentsonline
Andrea

Offline delgirl

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 14 February 06 20:39 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for the advice. Used the C/M batch change but nothing came up.
Checked the IGI records, and using the place search refs, I ended up
 on Sussex county records site, where they charge £25 an hour for looking!! I will go to the local Mormon church nearby and see if I can order the films - they are always so cheerful and helpful!!
Martha Butler is easier to find in Hellingly, but J H Pollard in the 1881 census says he comes from Watford. Can't check him in the 1891 cos he died in 1886ish. Can't find him in the 1871, or anyone from Watford, but there are towns called Waterford and Widford near Ware, which may have been misheard/written by the enumerator. I know from bitter experience that happens - Lunyhope turned out to be Long Hope, and Coulipit Baugh was Coalpit Bank!! ............Let me get back to that brick wall.......

Offline Allen Butler

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 10 March 07 12:20 GMT (UK) »
I am interested in your William Butler. What was his occupation, who did he marry and where did he bring up his children?
I have a Butler/Soal connection - spelling is different but may be a derivitive?
Butler in Hampshire, Sussex, Middlesex, London;also special interests including Bramshott, Empshott, Selborne, Faringdon, Tuxlith/Milland, Rogate, Midhurst, Liphook, Greatham, Hampstead.

Offline delgirl

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 26 March 07 12:19 BST (UK) »
This is the reply from my friend in the US - you may make more sense of it than me!!

I have two William Butlers, one born in 1755, probably in Hellingly, to Edward Butler and Francis Fox. I know little about him as he is not in my direct line

This Edward Butler is at the head of my direct Butler line and I know nothing of his parents.He was born in Hellingly in 1724 and I suspect that his parents moved into Hellingly before he was born.I would dearly like to find out more about Edward and his parents

Then there is a William G Butler born 1877 in Caterham, Surrey to George Butler and Rosa  ?????, again I have little info as this family is not in my direct line

So I cannot be of much help here

Offline delgirl

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 26 March 07 12:21 BST (UK) »
Have you been in touch with penny-zzz who is looking for Butlers and Sole too?

Offline delgirl

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 26 March 07 12:22 BST (UK) »
Have you been in touch with Allen Butler who is looking for your names too?

Offline Allen Butler

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 26 March 07 13:23 BST (UK) »
I have an Edward James Soal b. 1867 Harting, Sussex;married to Annie Corps daughters Jessie, Amy & Edith
Butler in Hampshire, Sussex, Middlesex, London;also special interests including Bramshott, Empshott, Selborne, Faringdon, Tuxlith/Milland, Rogate, Midhurst, Liphook, Greatham, Hampstead.