Author Topic: Glass House Street, Byker  (Read 6275 times)

Offline Jeffrey

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information is Crown Copyright,
    • View Profile
Re: Glass House Street, Byker
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 08 March 18 22:34 GMT (UK) »
With all the different industries in that area it must have been a hive of industry at the time. Next time I can get up to Newcastle I will certainly go and visit the area to get the feel of it. It's good to hear from other family researchers about what their family did there.

Does anyone know what the nearest Non-conformist Church/Chapel was to Glass House Street in the 1830's.
I have a baptism of my 2x Gt Grandmother Maria Branford and the death of her mother Elizabeth Branford between 1830 and 1837  in that area and I can not find anything in the normal Churches.

Judy
CUMBERLAND  Armstrong Little Nixon Richardson Pearson Watson Braithwaite
WESTMORLAND  Richardson Dent Nicholson Hanson Kersey Smith Heigh
DURHAM Reed Smith Reay Hammond Metcalf Bell
Thompson Armstrong Branford Parkin Heaton Oates
NORTHUMB'LAND Nixon Johnson Armstrong Branford Thompson
DUMFRIES Armstrong Bell Halliday Little Carruthers Johnstone
YORKS Richardson Branford Siddle
ROXBURGH Jackson Elliot Armstrong Scott
FIFE Adamson Gosman Brown
AUSTRALIA Richardson Dent Hanson Kersey

Offline danieloftyne

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 09 April 20 20:29 BST (UK) »
Don't know if you are still on here but here goes there were 2 chapels in the vicinity one next to St peters school top of glasshouse street named browns chapel over the road almost opposite there was a methodist chapel also there was a pottery on glasshouse street which became ford pottery A ford pottery B is a little further on there was a bottle works on end of quality row the kilns can still be viewed also there was 5 glassmaking works on lime street one being messrss ridley and co I know this as my gggg grandfather was the spokesman for the workers of all 5
Walton, Jones, Parker, Tipping,Nicholson, morrow,young,arrowsmith,Elliott, Anderson, ring rose, scrimshaw,hogarth,stewart

Offline Jeffrey

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Friday 10 April 20 14:43 BST (UK) »
Thank you for your reply and yes I'm still on this web site and always interested in a reply.

Since I last posted on here I have found the burial in the Burial Ground of Ballast Hills of Elizabeth Branford wife of John Branford Potter Abode St Peters 34 years.
She was my 3x Gt Grandmother.

But still unable to find any Baptisms of their children even though in the 1851 Census I know approximately  where they were born and it is all around that area.
So I am now totally convinced that they were Non conformists in some way.

Do you or anyone know anything else about 'Brown's Chapel' or the Methodist Chapel?

Thanks
Judy

Offline pityackafromblyth

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Friday 10 April 20 15:16 BST (UK) »
Re this topic, I knew a close friend who was born in 1927 and grew up in Byker.  Sadly he passed away 5 years ago.  But being from the North East myself and forming a friendship with him and his family, I learned many things from him about life in the Newcastle area during the hard times of the 1930s. Relating to pottery and glass firms in the area you mention, my friend did tell me about when he was a young child they would search for -"boodies" or "boudies" near the sites of such potteries/glass firms.  A boodie or whatever was broken pieces of such products, which were treasured by those youngsters.
pityackafromblyth

Offline danieloftyne

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Friday 10 April 20 18:52 BST (UK) »
I will have a look are you on find my past as they have non conformist births deaths and marriages I will also check ballast hills for you as some of the gravestones were used to make a path around it she might be there alas the rest of the stones were cut up and used as oven bottoms would you believe.There were 700 people buried there in ballast hills cemetery
Walton, Jones, Parker, Tipping,Nicholson, morrow,young,arrowsmith,Elliott, Anderson, ring rose, scrimshaw,hogarth,stewart

Offline Jeffrey

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Sunday 12 April 20 10:10 BST (UK) »
Thank you very much. I don't know if there were more Branfords buried there but Elizabeth definitely was. Most grateful.

Children who were born in the same area to John & Elizabeth Branford who I can not find a baptism for are:
1) John Branford c 1820 St. Peters Byker
2) Elizabeth Branford c 1829 St. Peter's Quay
3) Maria Branford c1834 Byker.

They had other children 2 of them baptised in Leeds and 1 cannot find at all.

The names and years of birth I have from various census's. But can not find a Baptism for them not even of Findmypast so wondering if they were baptised in a lesser well known 'church' or 'chapel' that has not been transcribed by any group yet.
Any ideas anyone.

Thank you
Judy
P.S.
Just looking at the years between the births of the children I suppose there could have been more that had died, or even lived elsewhere that I do not know about. So maybe more buried in Ballast Hills Cemetary
The child before John was James c1816 - he didn't live after the 1841 Census. So don't have a place of birth. They were living in Glass House St then and he was born 'out of area'.