Author Topic: The Mysterious James NEWBERRY  (Read 51303 times)

Offline Laurina

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
The Mysterious James NEWBERRY
« on: Wednesday 30 November 05 23:23 GMT (UK) »
James Newberry married Martha Cannon in St Marys, Hitchin, Herts on 5 Sep 1849. On his marriage certificate it says his father was Joseph Newberry. In the 1851 Census it says James was born in Holwell about 1831.

I have struggled for the past four years to find parents for James. The only James Newberry I can find born in Holwell in 1831 is the son of Thomas Newberry and Mary Oakley. So I have eliminated him - am I correct in doing this? Where else can I look?

Any suggestions please ... it's really irritating me now!!  >:(

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline cathymcc

• I am sorry but my emails are not working.
  • RootsChat Veteran
  • Sam & Hilda Worker
    • View Profile
Re: The mysterious James Newberry
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 01 December 05 04:34 GMT (UK) »
Hitchin is in Hertfordshire not Bedfordshire - try going to the Hertfordshire list...go to England Counties [above this page]

Try the http://freebmd.rootsweb.com/

+ the IGI batch numbers for Hertfordshire in case any of their children were christened in Hitchin.

You have the cccensus for 1851 - that should tell you what county they were in & which place & county they were born?

regards

cathy
Bedfordshire: Worker [Flitton]; Ames [Kempston]; Manton [Kempston]; Morris [?]; Valentine [Kempston]; Two & Osborn [Cranfield]

Herfordshire and West London: Brown [Kent in early 19th C]; Blackwell.
McCarthy [Clonakilty, County Cork - searching for needles in the haystack!] and LOSTY [Dublin]

Offline bedfordshire boy

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 01 December 05 06:46 GMT (UK) »
Have you tried locating him in 1841 when he should, with a bit of luck, have still been living with his parents?

At that time Holwell was still in Beds - it wasn't transferred to Herts until 1897

HO107/003-08 folio 6A
Cadwell, Holwell
Mary Newberry 45 Not born in county ie not born in Beds
William Newberry 30 Born in county
Sarah Newberry 24 Not bic
Mary Newberry 15 Bic
Thomas Newberry 13 Bic
James Newberry 11 Bic
Jane Newberry 9 Bic
Maria Newberry 1 Bic

There's a Mary Newberry baptised in 1826 in Holwell, then Thomas, James and Jane all baptised in Ickleford all at the right times, all children of Thomas and Mary.

A Thomas Newbury was buried at Holwell on 15 Dec 1833 age 44. There were no Joseph Newberry's buried in either Herts or Beds at the right time and of the right age.

So in response to your question. No I don't think you were correct in eliminating the baptism in 1831 in Ickleford. But there were a lot of Joseph Newberrys in Ickleford so I would also ask for alook up in Ickleford on the HErts board in 1841 to see if there any more James Newberrys

Regards

David
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Beds:   Cople: Luke/Spencer
            Everton: Hale
            Henlow: Cooper/Watts/Sabey/Rook
            Potton:  Merrill
            Southill: Faulkner/Litchfield/Sabey/Rook
            Woburn/Husborne Crawley: Surkitt
Hunts:   Gt Gransden: Merrill/Chandler/Medlock
            Toseland: Surkitt/Hedge/Corn         
Cambs: Bourn: Bowd
            Eltisley: Medlock
            Graveley: Ford/Revell

Offline Laurina

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 01 December 05 09:55 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for that David,

Unfortunately I only have Herts 1841, not Beds 1841. I wasn't sure when Holwell was transferred to Beds so have added this topic to both counties.

The family you found belong to Thomas Newberry (Newbury)who died in 1833. Mary his wife is Mary Oakley. The eldest son William is Thomas' child from his first marriage. The youngest child, Maria is a grandchild.

Thanks for checking deaths for Joseph Newberry, it's strange no one can find a record of him.

I live in hope of finding him soon :)

Offline johnP-bedford

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 20 December 05 20:55 GMT (UK) »
Laurina

I was looking into a topic posted on the Northamptonshire lookups - for Tomlin of Wellingborough.  On 1851 census a William Tomlin b 1811 Wellingborough, a Tailor, is lodger with a family of Newberrys in Hitchin Hill, Hitchin Herts. These are :-

Sarah Newberry, Head b 1816 Hitchin
Mary Newberry, Sister b 1826 Hitchin
both Unmarried - & I guess are the daughters of Thomas Newberry & Mary Oakley
In this family are daughter Maria Newberry age 10 , son John Newberry age 43 & son George Newberry age 1. Looking at the IGI found Maria & John listed with second name Tomlin, & mother as Sarah Newberry. So are these the children of William Tomlin & Sarah Newberry ?

Living next door in Hitchin Hill is James Newberry b 1831 in Holwell, a Bricklayers Labourer, wife Martha, & son George.

I am assuming these 2 households are related & thus James is also son of Thomas & Mary.

So is there another James son of Joseph, who by chance also married a Martha ; or is the same person that you are looking for ???

regards John
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Partridge - North Beds; Northants & Peterborough
Bishop - Bedford; Hunts, Hemingford Grey
Allen - Hunts, Hemingford Abbotts
Clement - Croydon
----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Offline Laurina

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 21 December 05 15:20 GMT (UK) »
This is the correct James who married Martha Cannon. On their marriage certificate James' father is named Joseph Newberry. I can't find A Joseph Newberry who is the right age to be James' father.  The family next door are children of Thomas Newberry and Mary Oakley - so I can't see a connection apart from simply neighbours. I can't find Joseph in the 1841 Herts Census and don't have access to his birth record in Holwell parish in 1831.

Offline Peggy

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 10 September 06 16:04 BST (UK) »
YOU MIGHT GIVE THIS WEB PAGE A TRY. WWW.GENCIRCLES.COM. JUST ENTER THE NEWBERRY NAME, YOU MIGHT FIND JAMES AND HIS FATHER. GOOD LUCK
Gallagher Co Meath, Ire
Crowcock Co Meath , Ire
Knight Herts Eng
Armstrong Herts Eng
King Herts Eng
Price Bucks/Herts
Line Bucks/Herts
Hide/Hyde Herts

Offline Anne C

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: The Mysterious James NEWBERRY
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 15 May 07 19:47 BST (UK) »
 :) Have you found out any more about James Newberry? I am a descendant of Thomas Newberry and Mary Oakley. My family tree goes as follows: Thomas Newberry was married 1st to Frances Hull, with whom he had William (b.1810) and Mary (b.1812). Mary Oakley was his 2nd wife, with whom he had Sarah (b.1816), Daniel (b.1817), John (b.1819) - my ancestor, Francis (b.1821), George (b.1824), Mary (b.1826), Thomas (b.1828) and James (b.1831 at Holwell). Ickleford is apparently now part of Hitchin, and Holwell is very close by. In some censuses they appeared not to distinguish between them, as John Newberry's son George (my g.g.g.father) is shown variously as having been born in both of them! Hope I have been of some help.

Offline Laurina

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: The Mysterious James NEWBERRY
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 15 May 07 20:33 BST (UK) »
Hi Anne

I haven't made any progress with this line at all. I have eliminated Thomas  Newberry and Mary Oakley as parents mainly as James's father was named as Joseph Newberry on his marriage certificate.

Thomas and Mary had a daughter Jane christened with her brother James in 1831

I can trace your line back a few more generations to Joseph Newberry and Arabella Ansell as well as forward a little too. I have John married to Alice Field with six children, their eldest child George married to Grace Jenkins with four children, three of which I have marriages for. Alice married Henry Jelley, Grace married William George Monnery and emigrated to South Africa, James married Mary ?  I don't have a marriage for their other daughter Margaret Newberry.

Best wishes Laurina