Author Topic: Denis RYAN - Waterford City  (Read 6012 times)

Offline Arranroots

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Denis RYAN - Waterford City
« on: Friday 02 December 05 10:23 GMT (UK) »
Hi folks

A year ago I posted a request for info on Denis RYAN, who was a butcher in Waterford City.  His son Patrick Joseph was born about 1875.

http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,26568.0.html

Although Audrey found a possible birth for his son Patrick, there have been no further discoveries.

PLEASE can we rally the troops and get some information?  His last surviving grandchild is now too elderly to help with the search, although some years ago she took her family to the street in Waterford where the family lived.

I have done my best to find records on the internet myself, but maybe I am not looking in the right places.

Would be very grateful if we could make a dent in this brickwall!

kind regards, Arranroots
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
SOM: BIRD, BURT aka BROWN - HEF: BAUGH, LATHAM, CARTER, PRITCHARD - GLS: WEBB, WORKMAN, LATHAM, MALPUS - WIL: WEBB, SALTER - RAD: PRITCHARD, WILLIAMS - GLA: RYAN, KEARNEY, JONES, HARRY - MON: WEBB, MORGAN, WILLIAMS, JONES, BIRD - SCOTLAND: HASTINGS, CAMERON, KELSO, BUCHANAN, BETHUNE/ BEATON - IRELAND: RYAN (WATERFORD), KEARNEY (DUBLIN), BOYLE(DUNDALK)

Offline claudia99

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Denis RYAN - Waterford City
« Reply #1 on: Friday 02 December 05 14:33 GMT (UK) »
Arranroots
OK - from IGI, births in Waterford with parents Den(n)is and Ann(e)

We already have Patrick 2 Oct 1875 - this is confirmed on the IGI

Also, possible siblings

Anne Ryan 12 Nov 1877 Waterford
Father Denis Ryan
Mother Ann Ryan Ryan - this is how it was written!

I've checked all of IGI for Ryans in Waterford with these parents and this is it!
On the "Ryan Ryan" thing, could it be that Ann's maiden name was also Ryan as there are several instances when checking through the other Ryans where the mother's name was given as say Mary Ryan Tobin with father say John Ryan.

Claudia
ALL CENSUS INFORMATION CONTAINED IN POSTINGS IS CROWN COPYRIGHT FROM www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Fagan - Guernsey (1807), Wrexham (census 1841-1871), then Barton upon Irwell from around 1873

Fildes - Manchester, Chester, Liverpool, Chorlton, Ashton, Salford (descended from Mary Pritchard and William Fildes, Sir Samuel Luke's grandparents)

Speakman - Manchester and Salford

Bridge - Manchester (initially Ardwick) and Salford

Offline Arranroots

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 02 December 05 14:56 GMT (UK) »
Claudia, thank you so much for taking the trouble to look - I never get very far with the IGI!  :-*

Are these extracted records? 

Now I need to know how to use my new-found information.  I have had no luck with directories online.  Is it possible to trace these folk on censuses?

I freely confess to be absolutely clueless about Irish research and, short of taking another holiday in Waterford, don't know where to look next!

HELP!!

Arranroots  ;)
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
SOM: BIRD, BURT aka BROWN - HEF: BAUGH, LATHAM, CARTER, PRITCHARD - GLS: WEBB, WORKMAN, LATHAM, MALPUS - WIL: WEBB, SALTER - RAD: PRITCHARD, WILLIAMS - GLA: RYAN, KEARNEY, JONES, HARRY - MON: WEBB, MORGAN, WILLIAMS, JONES, BIRD - SCOTLAND: HASTINGS, CAMERON, KELSO, BUCHANAN, BETHUNE/ BEATON - IRELAND: RYAN (WATERFORD), KEARNEY (DUBLIN), BOYLE(DUNDALK)

Offline claudia99

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 06 December 05 11:33 GMT (UK) »
Arranroots
Sorry I've not got far with my Irish roots either!
My surname FAGAN must be from Ireland if I go back far enough and I've got other branches in Ireland and I've not been brave enough to start.
Sorry can't help further,
Good luck
Claudia
ALL CENSUS INFORMATION CONTAINED IN POSTINGS IS CROWN COPYRIGHT FROM www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Fagan - Guernsey (1807), Wrexham (census 1841-1871), then Barton upon Irwell from around 1873

Fildes - Manchester, Chester, Liverpool, Chorlton, Ashton, Salford (descended from Mary Pritchard and William Fildes, Sir Samuel Luke's grandparents)

Speakman - Manchester and Salford

Bridge - Manchester (initially Ardwick) and Salford

Offline Arranroots

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 06 December 05 12:26 GMT (UK) »
Thanks anyway Claudia

Sadly the elderly relative - the last of that generation - passed away just after I posted this request.

Now I will HAVE to rely on the advice and generosity of others as there is no-one left who knows!  The frustrating thing is, I am happy to do my own leg-work if only I knew where to look!

Shall we set up an Irish research centre together?  There has to be huge potential out there...

;)

Online heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 06 December 05 17:19 GMT (UK) »
Hi,
AS you have a name and a year of birth you could apply for a copy birth certificate from Irish records:
http://www.groireland.ie/ have the details. I think you have to download the form and send off by regular post but they will accept credit card payment which makes it so much easier to pay the fee.
You might then be able to go on to marriage certificate.
There is a 1901 and 1911 census which is available through LDS libraries too.
Good luck
Heywood
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Arranroots

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 06 December 05 17:54 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for those encouraging words, Heywood!  :D

I really need my hand held through my first ventures into Irish genealogy.

LDS research is also new to me - I am used to popping to my local record office - but there is a Centre nearby, so that will be my next port of call.

I am learning!

Arranroots  ;)