Author Topic: Boatbuilder & Banjo Maker  (Read 4809 times)

Offline chelsen

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Boatbuilder & Banjo Maker
« on: Monday 05 December 05 18:00 GMT (UK) »
My ancestor James Parslow born 1848/9 in Kingston upon Thames is listed on the 1871 and 1881 census as being a Carpenter living in Oaklea Passage, Kingston. On the 1891 and 1901 census he is described as a Banjo Maker, still living in Oaklea Passage.  I have reason to believe he worked at some stage for Burgoine's Boatbuilders who used to be situated at Hampton Wick.  Does anyone have any information on Burgoines and is it possible to find out if James did work there and when?
Also, I believe that when he worked as a Banjo Maker he had premises in the Fairfield, Kingston.  I know one of his relatives lived there but would be interested if anyone knows where the business premises were.
Panton, Webley, Hinton, O'Connell, Magee, White, Huish, Meek, Wootten and Parslow amongst others

Offline Jane Eden

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Boatbuilder & Banjo Maker
« Reply #1 on: Monday 05 December 05 19:45 GMT (UK) »
Hi

I have found an article on him for you!

http://www.whitetreeaz.com/vintage/brit3.htm

Jane
Notts: Burrows, Comery, Foster, Beeson.
Derbys: Burrows, Comery, Smith  Lincs: King. 

Information contained within Census Lookups is Crown Copyright:  www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Jane Eden

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 05 December 05 19:50 GMT (UK) »
Hi

And another one. See under Smith

http://www.whitetreeaz.com/vintage/brit4.htm

Jane

Information contained within Census Lookups is Crown Copyright:  www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline chelsen

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 05 December 05 22:03 GMT (UK) »
Thank you, Jane, for that very interesting link.  It confirms that he did have a workshop in the Fairfield.  I wonder if there are any Parslow banjo's still in existence.
Carole
Panton, Webley, Hinton, O'Connell, Magee, White, Huish, Meek, Wootten and Parslow amongst others

Offline Jane Eden

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 06 December 05 06:56 GMT (UK) »
Hi

I would expect they have survived especially as he was into highly decorative bodies (first link). The trouble is people that inherit banjos often don't know what they have.

Apart from being a regular contributor to this board you post caught my interest as my husband is into banjos (playing, restoring and has his own wesite as he build eletric banjos) and into boats (he is a yachtmaster and sails and restores dinghys and yachts and has just bought a folk boat which he is repairing before putting it on the sea).

I had a quick look on ebay but there is nothing listed at the moment. I would assume a Parslow banjo is signed or able to be identified in some way.

Jane

Offline jorose

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 06 December 05 13:01 GMT (UK) »
1901 Kellys directory gives James Parslow, Banjo Manufacturer, 28 Fairfield Rd. Kingston. (www.historicaldirectories.org)
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline chelsen

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 06 December 05 13:21 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Jane and Jorose.  I will go and see if 28 Fairfield Road is still standing.
Carole

Offline edparslow

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 03 March 18 12:51 GMT (UK) »
Hi Carole, I am compiling a register of surviving Parslow banjos and would like to hear from anyone who has one or knows of the whereabouts of any existing. I have nine registered and there are a further six known to be in existence but no contact details.  Do you still have your Parslow Zither banjo?
Ed.

Offline chelsen

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 03 March 18 22:58 GMT (UK) »
Hi Ed
We must be distantly related as I am descended from Thomas Parslow 1768-1843.  James Parslow the banjo maker was my first cousin 3 x removed.  I was born in Kingston and still live a couple of miles away.
Yes, I do still have the Parslow banjo but I was not aware that it was a Zither banjo.  I know a lot of them have no back but mine has a completely enclosed back.  I am attaching a couple of photos.
Please let me know if you need any further information.
Regards
Carole