Author Topic: steenson/stevenson  (Read 4835 times)

Offline mikelynn40

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
steenson/stevenson
« on: Tuesday 06 December 05 16:42 GMT (UK) »
hi everyone,whilst researching my fathers side of my family,i have discovered that i have ancestors that come from County Armagh.my ancestors name was "Annie Stevenson",and her parents names were "John Steenson" and "Martha Turner". the only information i have is that they came from portadown.Annie was born c1860,john was born c1829(same year as his wife).can anyone assist,as i would like to know more(family history is very addictive).please accept my grateful thanks in advance.

Offline teap78

• RootsChat Veteran
  • my mum Gemma Doyle 1950s
    • View Profile
Re: steenson/stevenson
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 06 December 05 16:54 GMT (UK) »
. DORATHEA STEENSON - International Genealogical Index
Gender: Female Birth: 06 OCT 1865 0661, Portadown, Armagh, Ireland

2. William James Steenson - International Genealogical Index

3. JOSEPH STEENSON - International Genealogical Index

Father was John Steenson  Mother was Martha Turner.

colette
Doyle, Mullan, Mulholland, O'Neill, McCann, Lowry, Mullen, Forsythe, Magilton, Farnan.  Banbridge Co Down , Belfast Co Antrim and Dungannon Co Tyrone .

Offline mikelynn40

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 06 December 05 16:59 GMT (UK) »
many thanks.i now have a start.i have a subscription to ancestry.co.uk.,so i can now have a search for them. :)

Offline teap78

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 06 December 05 17:07 GMT (UK) »
MARTHA TURNER
Birth:  16 JUL 1824   

Christening:  18 JUL 1824   Eglish Parish, Armagh, Ireland

Parents:
  Father:  JAMES TURNER
  Mother:  ELIZTH.

JOHN STEENSON 
  Male Christening:  31 DEC 1821   Eglish Parish, Armagh,Ireland

Parents:
  Father:  WILLIAM STEENSON   
  Mother:  MARGARET

I know you said they were born the same year but i found these and thought you could have a look anyway
Colette

Doyle, Mullan, Mulholland, O'Neill, McCann, Lowry, Mullen, Forsythe, Magilton, Farnan.  Banbridge Co Down , Belfast Co Antrim and Dungannon Co Tyrone .

Offline mikelynn40

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 07 December 05 18:19 GMT (UK) »
hi collete,tanks very much.all the information i have is that both john steenson and martha turner have the same birth year.i am open to suggestion as to whether those dates are correct.i am not familiar with parishes in ireland.i was wondering which towns are in eglish parish.also as it seems that they were born before births/marriages/deaths etc. became official,is there parish registers in ireland,andhow do i get copies of entries/apologies for not knowing.up to now i have only had experience of research in  england and scotland.as i have found that i have ancestors? from ireland,i thought i had better have a look to see what is or is not available. anyway thanks very very much,i am gradually getting names together.

Offline teap78

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 07 December 05 19:37 GMT (UK) »
hi mikey im not to hot on all this either but try this link see if it helps any,

http://www.sagp.org/genealogical.php

and this one

http://www.sagp.org/townland_details.php?category_id=44&townland_id=26

and this one http://www.proni.gov.uk/geogindx/parishes/par127.htm broken link

colette

Offline mikelynn40

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 07 December 05 21:36 GMT (UK) »
thanks colette,i will check them out,and see how i get on.im treading in unfamiliar territory,so will take it carefully.i want to rush,but better not.

Offline Pam Sue

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 08 March 06 16:21 GMT (UK) »
Hi MikeLynn & Colette,

I wonder if either of you can help me? I am trying to trace the marriage of Eliza STEENSON and George HENNING, farmer, probably in the Armagh area but possibly elsewhere in NI. This would probably have taken place from about 1870-84.

I am also trying to trace the birth record of their son, John HENNING, on 10.3.1884 (according to his death cert) - or any possible siblings. Armagh is my only clue as John married there in 1911. Have either of you (or anyone reading this) ever come across any possible links to these people in your researches? If so, I would love to hear from you!

Pam

Moderator's Note: separate post here:
www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,136858.msg615145.html#msg615145