Author Topic: Who was Daniel Patrick Whelan ?  (Read 17307 times)

Offline Mobo

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Family History - the ultimate detective story
    • View Profile
Re: Who was Daniel Patrick Whelan ?
« Reply #18 on: Saturday 10 December 05 09:44 GMT (UK) »
 :D :D

Again, very many thanks everyone for all your great input and suggestions. 

However, as I said before, sometime after his arrest and escape, Daniel 'acquired' forged papers and became 'Joe Bloggs', remaining that 'person' all his life. Consequently any details on his life in England or Australia will not help with his true identity.  This can only be found in Ireland.

;D ;D ;D
BUCKLEY, Ches. & Lancs, DUNN, Ireland & Lancs. EDGSON, Rutland, Leics & Lancs. LYON, Lancs. McNULTY, Ireland & Lancs. MORRIS, Beds, Hunts & Lancs. SWARBRICK, Lancs. TURNER, Lancs. WILLIAMSON, Lancs.

All Census Data included in this post is Crown Copyright (see: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk)

Offline heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Saturday 10 December 05 10:43 GMT (UK) »
I know we are all intrigued by this but it does seem to be going nowhere.
The bombing of 'a post office' seems to point to Easter 1916. The Royal College of Surgeons was seized then so those seem to tie in with part of this account.
I have been thinking (dangerous) that unless he graduated there may not be any records of his being at any university college. Again if he was at university in 1916, he would be born at least a couple of years before 1900.
At this point, I can only think of the Irish birth indexes for that name and taking it from there.
Good luck
Heywood
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Christopher

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • 1939 - 2009
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Saturday 10 December 05 11:12 GMT (UK) »

Again, very many thanks everyone for all your great input and suggestions. 

However, as I said before, sometime after his arrest and escape, Daniel 'acquired' forged papers and became 'Joe Bloggs', remaining that 'person' all his life. Consequently any details on his life in England or Australia will not help with his true identity.  This can only be found in Ireland.

;D ;D ;D

Sorry Mobo,

You know about the terrier with the bone. That is me. Daniel may be hiding behind his forged papers but possibly the Christian names of his children were those of his parents or siblings at home in Ireland. The Christian names of his children and grandchildren can only be found in England or Australia.

All the Best Christopher

Offline Mobo

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Saturday 10 December 05 11:23 GMT (UK) »
I know we are all intrigued by this but it does seem to be going nowhere.
The bombing of 'a post office' seems to point to Easter 1916. The Royal College of Surgeons was seized then so those seem to tie in with part of this account.
I have been thinking (dangerous) that unless he graduated there may not be any records of his being at any university college. Again if he was at university in 1916, he would be born at least a couple of years before 1900.
At this point, I can only think of the Irish birth indexes for that name and taking it from there.
Good luck  Heywood

How do I access these birth indexes Heywood please ??

BUCKLEY, Ches. & Lancs, DUNN, Ireland & Lancs. EDGSON, Rutland, Leics & Lancs. LYON, Lancs. McNULTY, Ireland & Lancs. MORRIS, Beds, Hunts & Lancs. SWARBRICK, Lancs. TURNER, Lancs. WILLIAMSON, Lancs.

All Census Data included in this post is Crown Copyright (see: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk)

Offline heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Saturday 10 December 05 11:39 GMT (UK) »
The local LDS (Mormon) Libraries have them - on microfilm - so you could look at them perhaps from 1900 back and the only way then is the hard slog of identifying Daniel Patrick Whelans and sending for copy birth certificates. I'm trying to think of what would happen then.
Depending on what you find then you could access 1901 and 1911 censuses for any hopeful areas. Again the LDS will order them - this is all going to cost money I'm sad to say but ... I have had a look at the Lietrim Roscommon 1901
census site which has some coverage now of a few counties (not complete at all) but there is no one suitable. Again you come across Daniel or even just Dan as a name but going back to my theory of education you would hope that the full name was given in the census.
I don't think there is a name index for any of the censuses so again it would be a trawl through areas that you could pinpoint through birth records.
I feel I am rambling noe so will go.
Again- lots of luck to you
Kath (Heywood)

Offline heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Saturday 10 December 05 11:52 GMT (UK) »
Educational of nothing else! I just read this:

Sean O'Faolain.  Born Feb 22nd 1900 CO Cork.  Writer of short stories about Ireland's lower and middle class.  he changed his name from John Francis Whelan in 1916, when he witnessed the brutality shown to the volunteers by the British.

I never knew that!  He just went irish though and not a complete change of identity.
Heywood

Offline Christopher

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • 1939 - 2009
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Saturday 10 December 05 12:24 GMT (UK) »
Daniel Whelan, Ophally St, Athy Town, St. Michaels Co. Kildare
http://www.failteromhat.com/griffiths.php
Daniel Whelan lived in Athy in 1851 when Griffiths Valuation was conducted in the county. I would tend to look at the Daniels, Patricks and the names of the women. I realise we are looking a period about fifty years before Daniel was born. We may find his grandfather. I would tend to put the family in a wealthy county like Kildare based on the assumption made earlier that he probably came from a home background which was comfortable.

Offline Mobo

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Saturday 10 December 05 13:12 GMT (UK) »
 ;D ;D

Wee-eee-eee !! I'm going dizzy with all the many comments and suggestions  :o :o

Boo-hoo - I just hoped that there might be an 1891 and/or 1901 Census online for Ireland that I could access.  My days of sitting at fische readers in dimly-lit libraries are well and truly past.  Ah me !!

To answer your question Christopher, Daniel Patrick only had two children; Danny (named after him, as we were later to discover) and Susan, named after his English wife. So no clues there. His middle name of Patrick could be a clue however.

As I said previously - it's like looking for 'a needle in a haystack'

Thank you all, just the same.

;) ;)

Offline magsbutler

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Saturday 10 December 05 23:34 GMT (UK) »
Hi again

This site is full of interesting info re. what was going on at the time; don't know if 'Pax Whelan' is anything to do with your man, I assume Pax is a form of Patrick.

http://libraryautomation.com/nymas/irishcivilwar.html

Cheers,
Mags
Bailey - co.Limerick, Kilbeheny;co. Tipperary, Ballyporeen parish
King - co.Limerick, Kilbeheny parish
Moher - co.Tipperary, Ballyporeen parish
Farrell - co.Tipperary, Coolagarranroe, Skeheenaranky
Fitzgerald - ditto