Author Topic: Who was Daniel Patrick Whelan ?  (Read 17292 times)

Offline goggy

• I am sorry but my emails are not working
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Who was Daniel Patrick Whelan ?
« Reply #27 on: Sunday 11 December 05 02:16 GMT (UK) »
So,he may not have qualified,as a Surgeon?Or was that his job with the mining co;and if a qualified 'Leech',he would have had other connection,s,tool's of his trade,and would have trouble if required to hide in a manual worker's job.From a well off background,speech and clothing would mark him,not to mention manner's,social+at table!
Classmate's?neighbour's names,just thinking out loud,take no notice.Daniel Patrick Whelan,Idont suppose my good friend 'Google'would have an immmediate answer but I shall enquire
              H'mmm,Goggy. ;)

Offline Pat Reid

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Sunday 11 December 05 10:04 GMT (UK) »
Mobo:
I have been following this thread with interest and have a few observations. I would concentrate on the period after the Easter Rebellion of 1916. My guess is that your man was involved with the Anti-Treaty lads in the period 1921-22. Just as Irish genealogy is mind-numbing at times, so is that period of Irish History.  Many who were involved in the activities of 1916 and later did not go along with the treaty and there was a bloody, harsh civil war. The government (Freestaters) was unforgiving and many of the Anti-Treaty IRA men left Ireland under fear of death.  Here is a link to a well-written account of that period.  Your Daniel sounds like he was one.
http://www.threemonkeysonline.com/threemon_printable.php?id=70

Good luck,

(and I will keep pondering)

Pat
Reid, McAlinden, Larmour, Mulholland, Kelly
Warrenpoint, Rostrevor, Rathfriland

Offline Mobo

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Family History - the ultimate detective story
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Sunday 11 December 05 12:12 GMT (UK) »
 ;) ;)

As I said previously, "I'm going dizzy with all the many comments and suggestions".  Thank you very much Pat - I'm learning an awful lot about Irish History of the period, it's very interesting indeed.  Also thanks goggy & mags.

;) ;)
BUCKLEY, Ches. & Lancs, DUNN, Ireland & Lancs. EDGSON, Rutland, Leics & Lancs. LYON, Lancs. McNULTY, Ireland & Lancs. MORRIS, Beds, Hunts & Lancs. SWARBRICK, Lancs. TURNER, Lancs. WILLIAMSON, Lancs.

All Census Data included in this post is Crown Copyright (see: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk)

Offline goggy

• I am sorry but my emails are not working
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Tuesday 27 December 05 06:35 GMT (UK) »
Just a thought on looking in ,and while the kettle boils,those scones look nice too.
Yer man's initial's,and sample of hand writing?Anything available,pre+post his flight?Photo's?Description on passport he used?
His family are still about arent they,Ithink you mentioned the no embarrasment rule?
MY look round hasn't picked up anything that ring's bell's,but it has left a powerful thirst!!
                                    Goggy.  ;D

Offline Christopher

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • 1939 - 2009
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Monday 24 April 06 21:17 BST (UK) »
Hiya Folks,

I have had a look at an article about the Easter Rising. This year was the 90th Anniversary of that event.  Bertie Ahern took the brave step of deciding to revive the Anniversary Ceremony and wreath laying. His decision has strengthened the position of the Fianna Fail party, originally led by Eamon de Valera, a leader of the Rising -- About time too I say. The press at Easter time are usually full of pictures of the leaders of the IRA's political ally, Sinn Fein , commemorating the rising. Sinn Fein, which has long considered itself the only true Irish republican party, has been growing steadily in popularity. Bertie Ahern's Fianna Fail government has gone some way towards recognizing that Irishmen, from whichever part of Ireland, who died in the wars in 1916 (be it the Rising or the Battle of the Somme) should receive an equal honour. Such changes in attitudes may mean that the names of Daniel Patrick Whelan and others like him who have not yet been mentioned may yet appear in books about that period of Irish history. http://www.cnn.com/2006/WORLD/europe/04/16/ireland.parade.reut/index.html 

Chris

Offline Mjsb67

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Thursday 09 April 15 03:04 BST (UK) »
I have been doing family research and I may have some info on Daniel Patrick Whelan if you are interested.

Offline dathai

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Saturday 11 April 15 15:35 BST (UK) »

Offline conahy calling

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Saturday 11 April 15 21:51 BST (UK) »
http://www.bureauofmilitaryhistory.ie/index.html

Link for Bureau of Military history with search facility.