Author Topic: Losing faith with Irish genealogy  (Read 13615 times)

Offline 1pompey

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Losing faith with Irish genealogy
« on: Wednesday 07 December 05 22:45 GMT (UK) »
It seems to me that researching Irish genealogy is so hard compared to English.
I have been quite lucky with my English stuff but the Irish stuff is virtually non existent. Is there any way to do research without going to Ireland. Is anything available at the Family records Office in London.
Thanks in advance.
Michael.

http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,111418.0.html

Moores of Drumquin, Tyrone.

Offline Darcy

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Searching for little needles in big haystacks
    • View Profile
Re: Losing faith with Irish genealogy
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 08 December 05 02:03 GMT (UK) »
Hi there 1 pompey ;D

as you have discoverd Irish research is anything but easy as little information is available to those who are not resident there.We all live in hope of the Irish records becoming available on line.

If you live within travelling distance of a Latter Day Saint's Family History Centre you should be able to access the BMD's for Ireland. I can here in Australia.

As your interest seems to be in Tyrone you might have to use a " pay" site such as this to get started -

www.irish-roots.net/FnghTyrn.htm - 17k -

I fear to think how much I have paid looking for mine - and I'm Irish myself. ::)

Post plenty of queries on the Tyrone board and someone may be able to help.

Researching in Ireland is hard but all the more satisfying when you get a breakthrough.

Good Luck with your search

Cheers
Darcy
Fisher, Pitts, Lucas, Emmit, Keal, Bennett, Maddock, Jackson, Pidd, Lincolnshire <br />Bullock, Read, White, Gloucestershire.<br />Shepherd, Foyle, Crowter, Green, Wiltshire<br />Strickland, Fisher, Butterworth, Brown, Northhamptonshire<br />Shepherd, Bullock, Waterhouse, Lancashire
Fisher, Goodwin, Rutland
<br /><br /><br /> Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Arranroots

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 08 December 05 08:26 GMT (UK) »
You are not alone in feeling this way, Michael!

I can recommend the chatroom for solidarity and moral support!  :)

I have made a minute amount of progress on one line by investigating military records, but for those who were civilian I am frustrated by not knowing the most basic facts.  Of course, when you request assistance, the first thing you are asked is "what townland?"  Very frustrating when you don't know.

Maybe we should blame the English/ Welsh census system, which was happy to record foreigners by the country of their birth only - no detail required.

I need to be advised though - did someone say that you can see the 1901 and 1911 censuses for Ireland at LDS Family Centres?  Confused on this point.

There seems to be very little help out there, but I am sure it is not due to a lack of will - Irish researchers are just thwarted by the lack of available info.  Let us hope there is truth in the rumour that the Canadians are planning to help put records online - and that they don't arrange it in the same way as their own - where you have to know where someone lived before you can find them!!  ::) :P

I'll be quiet now.   ;D

Arranroots  ;)

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
SOM: BIRD, BURT aka BROWN - HEF: BAUGH, LATHAM, CARTER, PRITCHARD - GLS: WEBB, WORKMAN, LATHAM, MALPUS - WIL: WEBB, SALTER - RAD: PRITCHARD, WILLIAMS - GLA: RYAN, KEARNEY, JONES, HARRY - MON: WEBB, MORGAN, WILLIAMS, JONES, BIRD - SCOTLAND: HASTINGS, CAMERON, KELSO, BUCHANAN, BETHUNE/ BEATON - IRELAND: RYAN (WATERFORD), KEARNEY (DUBLIN), BOYLE(DUNDALK)

Offline heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 08 December 05 19:10 GMT (UK) »
Hi,
I have posted that you can see the 1901 and 1911 Irish censuses - but you have to know the area and you have to order them. They are of course of little use to anyone - of which there are many- who only have 'Ireland' to go by. I agree it is so frustrating.
Heywood
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Christopher

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • 1939 - 2009
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 13 December 05 19:42 GMT (UK) »
It seems to me that researching Irish genealogy is so hard compared to English.
I have been quite lucky with my English stuff but the Irish stuff is virtually non existent. Is there any way to do research without going to Ireland. Is anything available at the Family records Office in London.
Thanks in advance.
Michael.

Moores of Drumquin, Tyrone.

Hei Michael

Moores of Drumquin http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,111418.0.html
It would have been helpful if I could have clicked on the address
here instead of doing a "search rootschat"
Have you seen these sites?
www.buffnet.net/~mohr/world.html
www.olivetreegenealogy.com/ships/jj_barbara1850.shtml
www.olivetreegenealogy.com/ships/jj_mcampbell1850.shtml
www.immigrantships.net/v2/1800v2/barbara18500703.html
There are still Moores in the area
www.irishmoiledcattlesociety.com/N.Ireland.htm

Best Wishes, Chris

Offline 1pompey

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 13 December 05 21:39 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for all of the feedback.
Much appreciated.

Michael

Offline goggy

• I am sorry but my emails are not working
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 27 December 05 06:17 GMT (UK) »
1pompey,dont lose heart me old duck!Read about  what the people have gone through,and they can still give us 'Riverdance'!!
It's bred in the bone to be full of the 'Blarney',yet not give much away, keep on at it,onward+upward.!
                 Goggy. ;)

Offline MarieC

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • In Queensland, Oz
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 01 January 06 02:37 GMT (UK) »

If you live within travelling distance of a Latter Day Saint's Family History Centre you should be able to access the BMD's for Ireland. I can here in Australia.

Darcy,

I would love some further detail on this!

I am in Queensland but my local LDS centre does not have Irish BMDs.  I'm aware they can be ordered on film, but there are only a year or two on each film, and as I may need to look through 15 years for my gggrandmother's death, this could get expensive!

Do you happen to know any Queensland LDS centres which have these, or have any other useful suggestions for me?

MarieC
Census information is Crown copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Martins in London and Wales, Lockwoods in Yorkshire, Hartleys in London, Lichfield and Brighton, Hubands and Smiths in Ireland, Bentleys in London and Yorkshire, Denhams in Somerset, Scoles in London, Meyers in London, Cooks in Northumberland

Offline Darcy

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Searching for little needles in big haystacks
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 01 January 06 03:13 GMT (UK) »

Hi MarieC, ;D

I'm in NSW. I'm giving you this link so that you can see that the LDS at Hervey Bay has the Irish BMD;'s.  That could be a very long way from you though! ::)

If you ask at your local centre they should be able to tell you the nearest centre to you that holds the Irish records.

I went on a 2 hour train journey..... ;D

http://www.genhomepage.com/FHC/Australia.html

Good Luck

Darcy :D
Fisher, Pitts, Lucas, Emmit, Keal, Bennett, Maddock, Jackson, Pidd, Lincolnshire <br />Bullock, Read, White, Gloucestershire.<br />Shepherd, Foyle, Crowter, Green, Wiltshire<br />Strickland, Fisher, Butterworth, Brown, Northhamptonshire<br />Shepherd, Bullock, Waterhouse, Lancashire
Fisher, Goodwin, Rutland
<br /><br /><br /> Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk