Author Topic: AITCHISON family - Updated  (Read 20079 times)

Offline Clare Fowler

• RootsChat Veteran
  • www.clarefowler.co.uk
    • View Profile
AITCHISON family - Updated
« on: Thursday 08 December 05 14:31 GMT (UK) »
Hi all,

I was wondering if anyone had any connections to the name AITCHISON (or variant of) in the Roxburghshire area?  Especially, the children of James Aitchison and Helen Brydon - Margaret b. 1768, Elizabeth b1770, Agnes b.1772, Thomas b.1774, Isabel(la) b. 1777, Christian b.1780.

Do any of these sound familiar to anyone?

Cheers,
Clare
ELLIOT, CROZIER, HAY, AITCHISON, COWAN - Roxburghshire
BETT - Kinross-shire, Fife and Glasgow
CHAMBERS, BRUFF, WESTMACOTT - Glasgow
And many, many more...

Offline joette

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: AITCHISON family
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 26 January 06 15:48 GMT (UK) »
Margeret Aitchison is the name of my 5xGreatgrandmother.She married John Scott in Lilliesleaf Rox. in 1819.They had Sara 1819,John 1821,William 1823 & Walter 1825.
That's all I know about her really,no idea of parents name although will look at OPR to see if there is any other info
Waddell-Perthshire,Dollar,Clydebank,Glasgow & USA.
Scott -Roxb,Midlothian.
McKimmies-Aberdeenshire,Banff,Morayshire,Niagara&NewJersey.Old Kilpatrick.
Lindley,Veitch-Canada.
Veitch-Peebles,Crawfordjohn,Midlothian.
Ross,Torrance,Brown,McDowall.
Greer/Simpson/Jenkins-Old Kilpatrick& Camelon Falkirk,Abbey/Neilston
Leitch-Abbey Parish.
Kerr/Carr.
Breakenridge/Liddell-Temple Midlothian.
Aitchison
Fraser/Barron/Coutts/Singer.
Waddell-USA after 1923.
McFarlanes-Midlothian/Australia.

Offline Clare Fowler

• RootsChat Veteran
  • www.clarefowler.co.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 28 January 06 15:24 GMT (UK) »
Hi there,

That would be great.  Isabella is my direct ancestor, but I have very little information about her, other than her will.  It is a bit of a leap of faith, but I think she is the same Isabella as in the family I have posted.  I am hoping that I can 'prove' this eventually, but she is proving a little elusive.

Cheers,
Clare
And many, many more...

Offline DavidJP

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 17 March 06 19:31 GMT (UK) »
Hi Clare,

I am researching Aitcheson ancestors as well and until recently had thought that James Aitcheson and Helen Brydon were my family as well. However, I have moved the emphasis of my search to the Dunbar area of East Lothian after having found my Elspeth Aitcheson - James Hill Marriage (my 4x great grandparents) in 1803 after several years searching. This still isn't to distant as far as I can tell, so whether their is an earlier connecton or not I don't know.

Regards

David
Aitcheson, Aldred, Batty, Bauer, Bone, Brewer, Dean, Doyle, Durant, Fife, Finney, Gibson, Graham/Grayham, Hall, Harrison, Hersey, Hill, Holliss, Hudson, Hussey, Insley, Kelsey, King, Laver, Longmore, Luke, Mellor, Newman, North, Parker, Phillips, Porter, Read, Robinson, Rowel, Spink, Sproxton, Steer, Stevenson, Tanner, Witty/Whitty, Warburton, Wood.
(For more information on the above surnames please check the Surname Interest Table below.)

Offline Clare Fowler

• RootsChat Veteran
  • www.clarefowler.co.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 19 March 06 09:30 GMT (UK) »
Hi David,

To be honest, I am not entirely sure who my Isabella belongs to.  I know she was in Castleton in 1811, as this is when and where her son's birth is registered.  I am pretty sure that I have found a will for her in Commonside, Teviothead in 1849, and think I have tracked her down to a similar location in the 1841 census.

She mentions the following people as beneficiaries in her will...
'Janet Aitchison, wife of John Douglas, weaver in Hawick'
'Thomas Aitchison, Shoemaker in Langholm',
'Margaret Elliot, servant at Commonside' and
'William Elliot, Shepherd at Kershope' (this one is her son)

I assume that the first 2 are siblings, but haven't tracked them down yet.

Cheers,
Clare
And many, many more...

Offline DavidJP

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 26 March 06 22:19 BST (UK) »
Hi Clare,

Okay, I have a few questions if thats alright?

1. When and/or where was your Isabella born/christened? Do you know?

2. Although I have visited Yetholm & Morebattle once (about five years ago!) my geographical knowledge of the area is severely limited. Therefore is Castleton nearby and where also is Commonside, Teviothead?

Just briefly my Aitcheson's are possibly from Morham, East Lothian and following the marriage of my 4x Gt Grandparents James and Elspeth Hill (Nee Aitcheson) in Dunbar, East Lothian in 1803, they disappear before resurfacing between 1819 & 1821 in Yetholm where two sons are born, James and Elspeth then disappear again!! (At this point in time I still have nothing on the periods of disappearance.)

I will share what Aitcheson details I have shortly, when I have got it altogether myself!!

Regards

David
Aitcheson, Aldred, Batty, Bauer, Bone, Brewer, Dean, Doyle, Durant, Fife, Finney, Gibson, Graham/Grayham, Hall, Harrison, Hersey, Hill, Holliss, Hudson, Hussey, Insley, Kelsey, King, Laver, Longmore, Luke, Mellor, Newman, North, Parker, Phillips, Porter, Read, Robinson, Rowel, Spink, Sproxton, Steer, Stevenson, Tanner, Witty/Whitty, Warburton, Wood.
(For more information on the above surnames please check the Surname Interest Table below.)

Offline Clare Fowler

• RootsChat Veteran
  • www.clarefowler.co.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 27 March 06 10:09 BST (UK) »
Hi David,

I have no idea when Isabella was born.  I do know that she had a son in 1811, so I assume that she was in 1795 at the latest, probably earlier.  I don't know the names of her parents or any siblings, although I guess that the Aitchison names in the will may be relations - possibly siblings.

For locations of parishes, rather than me trying to explain (and making lots of mistakes!  :)), this link shows a good diagram of where they all are http://www.scotlandsfamily.com/parish-map-borders.htm

Cheers,
Clare
And many, many more...

Offline Clare Fowler

• RootsChat Veteran
  • www.clarefowler.co.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 28 March 06 16:00 BST (UK) »
Hi there,

Further to the above, I have now found Thomas Aitchison (as mentioned in the will) in the 1851 and 1861 census, and his death certificate from 1865.  This shows his parents as James Aitchison and Helen Brydon.

I have had a search on SP and (although I can't see the images of the OPR itself) and have found 6 children that appear to be correct (surname given as ATCHISON).

They are
MARGRET 15/11/1768,
ELIZABETH 22/07/1770,
AGNAS 23/07/1772,
THOMAS 03/12/1774,
ISABLE 15/07/1777
CHRISTON 04/03/1780

I am hoping that the Isable listed is my Isabella.  I am almost 100% convinced that the Thomas Aitchison listed in the will, is the Thomas here, and I think it makes sense to assume that he is her brother.

Interestingly, if this is the correct Isable/Isabella, she would have been 72 when she died (not unrealistic, Thomas lived to 89), and 34 when she had William, her son.

I still don't know who the Janet Aitchison, wife of John Douglas, is but hopefully I can work it out.

Cheers,
Clare

And many, many more...

Offline DavidJP

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 28 March 06 20:57 BST (UK) »
Hi Clare,

My Aitchison's are as follows:

Helen Aitchison      b. 29th March 1768, Morham, East Lothian.
Christian Aitchison b. 13th April 1770, Morham, East Lothian.
Marrion Aitchison   b. 28th April 1772, Morham, East Lothian.
Betty Aitchison       b. 14th May 1773, Morham, East Lothian.
Stewart Aitcheson b. 14th June 1778, Moreham, East Lothian.

Parents of all the above are James Aitchison & Euphans Fife ( this I believe to be Euphemia as it appears to be a family name!)

Elizabeth Aitchison m James Hill (my 4x Gt Grandparents) on 8th April 1803 in Dunbar, East Lothian.

At this time James and Elizabeth disappear until resurfacing in 1819 in Yetholm, Roxburghshire where 2 sons are born:

Ninian Hill    b. 18th July 1819, Yetholm, Roxburghshire.
George Hill  b 14th December 1821, Yetholm Roxburghshire. (My 3x Gt Grandfather)

Parents of the above are James Hill & Elspath Aitchison.

As yet I have been unable to find any other children fo James and Elspath, despite long hours of looking!!

James And Elspeth then vanish again!!

There seems to be matching names in our Aitchison families i.e Helen, Christian, Elizabeth/Betty/Elspath etc. I wonder if the two James's are perhaps cousins and that the connection (I feel sure that there is one!) is perhaps a generation further back, after all these Aitchison's are all pretty much in the same area!!

What do you think!!

Regards

David