Author Topic: AITCHISON family - Updated  (Read 20113 times)

Offline Clare Fowler

• RootsChat Veteran
  • www.clarefowler.co.uk
    • View Profile
Re: AITCHISON family
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 28 March 06 21:26 BST (UK) »
Hi David,

I think that is a very plausible theory!  As I said, I m convinced that Thomas Aitchison is the son of James Aitchison and Helen Brydon.  I am going to pursue this lead, and hopefully we can get a connection between the 2 James!

Cheers,
Clare
ELLIOT, CROZIER, HAY, AITCHISON, COWAN - Roxburghshire
BETT - Kinross-shire, Fife and Glasgow
CHAMBERS, BRUFF, WESTMACOTT - Glasgow
And many, many more...

Offline DavidJP

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 29 March 06 01:20 BST (UK) »
Hi Clare,

Further to my last post, I've just been using the IGI on the Familysearch website and come up with the following:

James Aitchison m Euphenia Fife 15th Nov 1760 in Canongate, Midlothian.

Both born 1735 & 1739 respectively in the same place!!

Is Canongate in the Edinburgh area or am I way out!!

I have a gut feeling that there is a connection between our Aitchison families, I've just got to figure out where!!

Regards,

David
Aitcheson, Aldred, Batty, Bauer, Bone, Brewer, Dean, Doyle, Durant, Fife, Finney, Gibson, Graham/Grayham, Hall, Harrison, Hersey, Hill, Holliss, Hudson, Hussey, Insley, Kelsey, King, Laver, Longmore, Luke, Mellor, Newman, North, Parker, Phillips, Porter, Read, Robinson, Rowel, Spink, Sproxton, Steer, Stevenson, Tanner, Witty/Whitty, Warburton, Wood.
(For more information on the above surnames please check the Surname Interest Table below.)

Offline Clare Fowler

• RootsChat Veteran
  • www.clarefowler.co.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 29 March 06 09:33 BST (UK) »
Hi David,

Canongate is indeed in Edinburgh.

Cheers,
Clare
And many, many more...

Offline Clare Fowler

• RootsChat Veteran
  • www.clarefowler.co.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 06 April 06 09:17 BST (UK) »
Hi there,

As an update, I have now pretty much 'confirmed' (as much as possible) that Thomas Aitchison (shoemaker in Langholm) and 'my' Isabella Aitchison are siblings, with James Aitchison and Helen Brydon their parents.

Now I am trying to track down Janet Aitchison, wife of John Douglas, weaver in Hawick.  There appear to be 2 John Douglas in the 1841 census for Hawick who are weavers and have wives called Janet!

Cheers,
Clare
And many, many more...

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
Re: AITCHISON family - Updated
« Reply #13 on: Thursday 06 April 06 11:31 BST (UK) »
Isn't IGI great! I think we have further proof that you're on the right track. If you go to IGI and key in child's name Helen Douglas (the name of Thomas AND (I'm sure!) your Isabella's mother) and then parents John Douglas and Janet Aitcheson (as per Isabella's will) you have the birth of a Helen in Hawick. These are submitted details, 4 entries including birth/parents/spouse/death. This is the only child showing for this couple.

Regards.

Monica
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Mary Ellen

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Friday 21 April 06 00:46 BST (UK) »
Hello,
Sorry to cut in, as I was browsing the board,  Came across your conversation,  I have a Janet Aitchison in my tree born 1843 her mother is a Jane Aitchison Born Scotland abt 1812. they are on the 1881 census for Lancashire Janet is 38, and her is 69. Janet married into the Dunn Family,  Liverpool, William, who was a Ship's Sail Maker. Do either of you think there is a connection.

Regards

Mary Ellen

Offline Clare Fowler

• RootsChat Veteran
  • www.clarefowler.co.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Friday 05 May 06 09:58 BST (UK) »
Hi Mary Ellen,

I am not sure there is a connection or not.  I am still trying to track down 'my' Jane to see when she was born.  I will keep this in mind though so that when I do track her down, I can let you know if there is a match.

Cheers,
Clare
And many, many more...

Offline Clare Fowler

• RootsChat Veteran
  • www.clarefowler.co.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Friday 05 May 06 10:12 BST (UK) »
Hi Monica,

I can't seem to marry this up with SP unfortunately ???  And unfortunately the ones that I have seen on IGI are submitted rather than extracted so I can't rely on them.

To complicate matters, I found a marriage for a John Douglas and a Jane Aitchison in Cavers in 1831 on IGI but again, I can't marry that back to SP.  This would also have Jane(t) being more of the age of a niece to Isabella - which is always a possibility.

I think I am just going to have to get myself to NRH and get searching!!

Cheers,
Clare

Isn't IGI great! I think we have further proof that you're on the right track. If you go to IGI and key in child's name Helen Douglas (the name of Thomas AND (I'm sure!) your Isabella's mother) and then parents John Douglas and Janet Aitcheson (as per Isabella's will) you have the birth of a Helen in Hawick. These are submitted details, 4 entries including birth/parents/spouse/death. This is the only child showing for this couple.

Regards.

Monica
And many, many more...

Offline Clare Fowler

• RootsChat Veteran
  • www.clarefowler.co.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Friday 05 May 06 10:29 BST (UK) »
Hi there,

Further to this, I had a look at the images of the 1841 census (rather than on Freecen) - to see if I can untangle further and see which of the 2 couples is the correct one.  But it just gets more complicated.  One of the couples seem to have a daughter called Isabella, which is quite interesting...  but not at all conclusive!

Clare
And many, many more...