Author Topic: Northampton Town and County School?  (Read 12539 times)

Offline seahall

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • https://5bravemen.weebly.com/
    • View Profile
Re: Northampton Town and County School?
« Reply #9 on: Monday 12 December 05 23:35 GMT (UK) »
Hi again Maggie

Have you seen this information

Name: TEBBUTT, ARTHUR BROOKES
Initials: A B
Nationality: United Kingdom
Regiment: Machine Gun Corps (Infantry)
Unit Text: 163rd Coy.
Date of Death: 19/04/1917
Additional information: Son of Albert Edward and Kate Julia Tebbutt, of 9, St. Matthews Parade, Northampton.
Casualty Type: Commonwealth War Dead
Grave/Memorial Reference: XXIV. E. 2.
Cemetery: GAZA WAR CEMETERY

Cheers Sandy  ;)

Copyright: the Commonwealth War Graves Commission
Census Crown Copyright

Offline seahall

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 13 December 05 00:00 GMT (UK) »
Hi Maggie

Not sure if you have this let me know if you are working backwards and if so from when.  ;D 

1901 Census Rg13/1422/26 Pg 27 Folio 147 Sch 171 15 St Michaels Avenue

Albert E Tebbutt Head M 36 Boot Manufacturer Employer  Northampton
Kate J Wife M 37 Northampton
Helen M Dau S 11 Northampton
Kathleen Dau S 9 Northampton
Arthur B Son S 8 Northampton
Phyllis J Dau S 4 Northampton
Barbara Dau S 1 Northampton
Amelia Wade Serv S 20 Cook Domestic Stoney Stratford Bucks
Kate Brice Serv S 18 Nurse Newport Pagnell Bucks

Cheers Sandy
Census Crown Copyright

Offline seahall

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 13 December 05 00:16 GMT (UK) »
Hi Maggie

Just to give you Arthur's grandparents from the 1901.

Rg13/1424/41 Pg 15 Folio 105 Sch 81 Melbourne Crescent (off Cheyne Walk)

George N Tebbutt Head M 62 Shoe Manufacturer (Boot M) Employer Northampton
Sophia Wife M 61 Spratton
Annie S Daur S 37 Northampton
Alfred Son S 29 Shoe Manufacturer (Boot M) Worker Northampton
Hilda S Daur S 23 Northampton
Edwin S Son S 18 Dentist Worker Northampton

Cheers Sandy
Census Crown Copyright

Offline behindthefrogs

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • EDLIN
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 13 December 05 09:34 GMT (UK) »
Looking at the addresses in the previous replies I think you can be fairly certain that your uncle was a paying pupil.  The places where they lived were late 18th early 19th century upper middle class residences.  They would have been large possibly detached houses in the better parts of town.

David
Living in Berkshire from Northampton & Milton Keynes
DETAILS OF MY NAMES ARE IN SURNAME INTERESTS, LINK AT FOOT OF PAGE
Wilson, Higgs, Buswell, PARCELL, Matthews, TAMKIN, Seckington, Pates, Coupland, Webb, Arthur, MAYNARD, Caves, Norman, Winch, Culverhouse, Drakeley.
Johnson, Routledge, SHIRT, SAICH, Mills, SAUNDERS, EDLIN, Perry, Vickers, Pakeman, Griffiths, Marston, Turner, Child, Sheen, Gray, Woolhouse, Stevens, Batchelor
Census Info is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline maggiefishblue

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday 13 December 05 14:35 GMT (UK) »
Hi Sandy,

Thank you very much for all of the information you have found for me it is much appreciated.

I have only recently started on my husband's family tree - having been working on my own for some time.

I didn't have any of the information which you have so kindly found for me. What is particularly interesting is that my mother-in-law is mentioned on the 1901 census: Phyllis J (Jocyln) aged 4 - I can't wait to show my husband!!

To date I had the 1881 census information for Albert and Kate Tebbutt - before their marriage.  I also have the 1871 census for Kate's family.

I was interested to see whether I could find any information about Arthur Brooks Tebbutt after I had watched the Channel4 programme about the War Memorials - and am delighted to have been able to move forward a little with the Family Tree. This has encouraged me to do some more research on the Tebbutts to see what I can find.

Thank you also, David, for sending me the information about the Boys' School - I am interested to follow this up to and learn more about this school - I'm sure Northampton library will have something that I can use for this purpose.

I'm off to show my husband all of this information now.
Kind regards,
Maggie

I am researching: <br />~ Gamble, Hincks, Grewcock, Grant, Leeson, Wright - Leicestershire/Warwickshire<br />~ Bywater - Warwickshire, Cheshire, Staffordshire<br />~ Crisp, Smith, Dowdeswell, Griffin, Stayt/Stait/Staite, Carpenter, Blizzard/Blissard - Gloucestershire<br />~ Bladder, Carter - Worcestershire

Offline maggiefishblue

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday 13 December 05 16:22 GMT (UK) »
Hi Sandy,

I've just looked at the link you sent to me - and I think that could be G M Tebbutt, my husband's ggrandfather - although I estimate that he would be around 75 years old by then.  The name fits, as does the address.

My husband was also told that his ggrandfather was Mayor of Northampton at one time - although we have never found anything to substantiate this.  Do you have any suggestions as to where I could look for this information?

Maggie
I am researching: <br />~ Gamble, Hincks, Grewcock, Grant, Leeson, Wright - Leicestershire/Warwickshire<br />~ Bywater - Warwickshire, Cheshire, Staffordshire<br />~ Crisp, Smith, Dowdeswell, Griffin, Stayt/Stait/Staite, Carpenter, Blizzard/Blissard - Gloucestershire<br />~ Bladder, Carter - Worcestershire

Offline seahall

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Tuesday 13 December 05 16:29 GMT (UK) »
Hi Maggie  :)

I was just going to say that I have found an obituary for G.M.Tebbutt naming the family members etc.

I am out tonight  :) but will type up for you and list tomorrow.

Seeing the family were Shoe Manufacturer's it is not at all surprising that they lived in the better parts of the town is it LOL.  :)

Cheers Sandy

Census Crown Copyright

Offline maggiefishblue

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Tuesday 13 December 05 16:33 GMT (UK) »
Hi Sandy,

That's brilliant - thank you so much  :)

I will look out for it tomorrow.

I am really grateful for all of the information you have found for me.

Kind regards,
Maggie

Offline behindthefrogs

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • EDLIN
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Tuesday 13 December 05 16:47 GMT (UK) »
A slightly daft suggestion in your search for mayors.  Every mayor since 1912 planted a tree in Abington Park.  They all had a name plate.  A walk through the park might reveal something.  Someone who lives there might volunteer as its not a bad way to amuse the kids for an hour on say boxing day.

They used to be either side of the walk from the town end gates towards the big house and then spread out a bit.

Guess which way I used to walk to school.

David
Living in Berkshire from Northampton & Milton Keynes
DETAILS OF MY NAMES ARE IN SURNAME INTERESTS, LINK AT FOOT OF PAGE
Wilson, Higgs, Buswell, PARCELL, Matthews, TAMKIN, Seckington, Pates, Coupland, Webb, Arthur, MAYNARD, Caves, Norman, Winch, Culverhouse, Drakeley.
Johnson, Routledge, SHIRT, SAICH, Mills, SAUNDERS, EDLIN, Perry, Vickers, Pakeman, Griffiths, Marston, Turner, Child, Sheen, Gray, Woolhouse, Stevens, Batchelor
Census Info is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk