Author Topic: World War 1 internments in UK - bibliography  (Read 57846 times)

Offline loo

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: World War 1 internments in UK - bibliography
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 30 January 08 18:05 GMT (UK) »
I don't know of anything off-hand, but you could join the Anglo-German FHS, and they might know;  for a fee, they will search their records for your ggf.  Some of the camps in WW1 were really fly-by-night, and records are scarce to non-existent.  They would often just commandeer some building or even placed people on farms to get them out of sight.  You may very well find something in one of these books, however.  Good luck!  Last resort is the Red Cross in Geneva, who may have a record of where your ggf was, but they are expensive.  It's probably easier to search for a name than a place.
You could also try whatever local history organizations exist in the redcar area;  some old-timer there might remember.
The librarian/archivist at the historical site on the Isle of Man is helpful, and may know.
ARMSTRONG - Castleton Scot; NB; Westminstr Twp
BARFIELD - Nailsea
BRAKE - Nailsea
BURIATTE
CANDY - M'sex, Deptford
CLIFFORD - Maidstone
DURE(E) - France, Devon, Canada
HALLS - Chigwell
KREIN, Peter/Adam - Germany
LEOPOLD - Hanover, London
LATTIMER, MAXWELL - Ldn lightermen
MEYER - Lauenstein
MURRAY - Scot borders
STEWART - Chelsea; Reach
SWANICK - Mayo & Roscommon; Ontario
WEST - Rochester & Maidstone
WILLIS - Wilts, Berks, Hants, London
WOODHOUSE - Bristol tobacconist, London
WW1 internees

Offline cath310859

• RootsChat Senior
  • I've not edited my PROFILE yet
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 30 January 08 18:16 GMT (UK) »
thanks for that loo,i am already a member of the anglo-german fhs never thought of asking them ,and i know of a site that has a member who knows a lot about redcar thanks for the ideas
bullock,temke,turner,haddlington,richards,rollinson,batey,cameron

Offline almuddiman

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 01 October 09 19:09 BST (UK) »
Hello. As new member, I hope this gets to you Cath. I live in Redcar and am researching my Great Uncle John Brickmann, who was interned from M'bro in December 1914, shortly after the German navy bombarded Hartlepool, Scarborough etc. He was sent to Lofthouse Camp at Wakefield and died there in 1916. Don't know of a local camp, but there may have been.

Offline Deegee31

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Friday 20 August 10 09:26 BST (UK) »
Hi I'm seeking data on my maternal grandfather who was interned as a civilain enemy alien at the outbreak of WW1. He was born in Palestine and was working on citrus fruit importation into the UK on Ellerman line ships. As a "Turk" he was interned fo some months. I'd also welcome info on the Internment Hearing Tribunals too. I appreciate that there are hardly any personal files surviving about individuals re this episode and I've alos launched a search with the ICRC in Geneva (it iwll take 6-12 months!).
Best wishes,
David

Offline loo

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Saturday 16 April 11 10:18 BST (UK) »
Continuing the bibliography...

Michael McDonagh.  In London during the Great War.  London: Eyre and Spottiswoode, 1935.  He was a journalist for The Times, and wrote about the camp at Alexandra Palace, perhaps Stratford as well.

Dr. Adolf Lukas Vischer.   Barbed Wire Disease; a psychological study of the prisoner of war... .  London: John Bale, sons & Danielsson, Ltd.,  1919.   84p.  Translated from the German with additions by the author.  Concerns the health problems of internees.

Dr. Henry S. Simonis (internee). Zum alten jüdischen Zivilrecht. Eine rechtstheoretische und rechtsvergleichende Studie, verfasst 1917 im Zivilgefangenenlager Alexandra Palace.  Berlin: Philo Verlag, 1922.
 http://judaica-frankfurt.de/urn/urn:nbn:de:hebis:30-180014563008
Only in German as far as I know.  I understand this book was written while he was an internee, but I am unclear whether it is actually about that experience.

Mrs C. S. Peel (Dorothy Constance).  How we lived then, 1914-1918: a sketch of social and domestic life in England during the war.  London: John Lane, 1929.  Covers what happened to the families, to some extent.
BARFIELD - Nailsea
BRAKE - Nailsea
BURIATTE
CANDY - M'sex, Deptford
CLIFFORD - Maidstone
HALLS - Chigwell
MEYER - Lauenstein
MURRAY - Scot borders
STEWART - Chelsea; Reach
SWANICK - Mayo & Roscommon; Ontario
WEST - Rochester & Maidstone
WILLIS - Wilts, Berks, Hants, London
WOODHOUSE - Bristol tobacconist, London
WW1 internees

Offline Schoch

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Thursday 16 February 12 20:34 GMT (UK) »
From reading this board I take it there is no definitive lists of internment camps in the UK for WW1.  My Grandfather (Friedrich August Louis Schoch) was living in Newcastle (the northerly one) and had his own butcher shop at the time. Being a German national he was interred (along with his Uk wife Ethel Schoch nee Gibson, who went with him to the camp..I'm told).

WW2: the same thing happened but this time she did not go with him as they had children by then.

I was hoping to find some kind of source to give me details on this.
Stay in the  Moment

Grainger - Wigton and Newcastle Area
Gibson - Newcastle/Scotland (Roxburgh) Areas
Crisell/Crissell/Chrysel/etc. - Suffolk Area
Schoch - Germany (Öhringen Area)

Offline edblack87

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Monday 14 May 12 11:29 BST (UK) »
Hi,

I'm currently doing a research project for York Museums Trust on the use of York Castle Prison for internments in WW1, any suggestions on where I might find something on this? Do you know if it's mentioned in any of the sources in this bibliography? I'm also interested in the Leeman Road concentration camp in York that also operated in WW1.

Thanks,

Ed

Offline SwissGill

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Thursday 17 May 12 11:25 BST (UK) »
From reading this board I take it there is no definitive lists of internment camps in the UK for WW1.  My Grandfather (Friedrich August Louis Schoch) was living in Newcastle (the northerly one) and had his own butcher shop at the time. Being a German national he was interred (along with his Uk wife Ethel Schoch nee Gibson, who went with him to the camp..I'm told).

WW2: the same thing happened but this time she did not go with him as they had children by then.

I was hoping to find some kind of source to give me details on this.

I searched the „free  from internment“ records on TNA for immigrants from the area where my grandfather’s family originate a few weeks ago and your post urged me to go back and check for Shoch. There is a record for a Frederick Shoch, born Ohringen (Öhringen) who was interned from 1914-1919 but was exempted from further internment.

It says he is married to a British born wife and never wishes to go back to Germany. Has lived in England since the age of 16. The date of marriage tallies with that of FAL Shoch who married Ethel Gibson 8.5.1912 in Newcastle. Residence in 1939: Hull area.
Reference is HO 396/81/196. It is under “Moving here” and you can download his record.

Öhringen is in the Hohenlohe area in Baden-Württemberg and a great number of pork butchers emigrated from there from 1850 onwards.

Whitlow: Witton-cum-Twambrooks/Northwich
Bowers: Marthall, Siddington, Cheshire
Owen: Cheshire
Pfisterer (Fisher): West Riding Yks 1850-1875
Fisher (Pfisterer): Des Moines, Iowa 1886-
Wallis: West Riding Yks/Des Moines, Iowa, 1892-
Heinzmann: Hull/Northwich
Pfisterer, Heinzmann, Künzelsau, Baden-Württemberg
Brueck: Kocherstetten B-W
Volpp: Morsbach B-W
Schluchterer: Künzelsau, B-W

Offline loo

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Friday 11 January 13 08:59 GMT (UK) »
It seems I can no longer modify (i.e. make additions to) previous posts in this thread, so you will have to put up with multiple shorter additions from time to time!  Here is one addition to the bibliography, which covers a number of settings in both world wars:

Cultural heritage and prisoners of war: creativity behind barbed wire. / edited by Gilly Carr and Harold Mytum.  New York: Routledge, 2012.  316p.
Contents:  "Astounding and encouraging": high and low art produced in internment on the Isle of Man during the Second World War / Rachel Dickson, Sarah MacDougall and Ulrike Smalley -- Creativity and internment identities. -- Kulturkrieg and Frontgeist from behind the wire: World War I newspapers from Douglas Internment Camp / Jennifer Kewly Draskau -- Captivity in print: the form and function of POW camp magazines / Oliver Wilkinson -- The women's embroideries of internment in the Far East 1942-1945 / Bernice Archer and Alan Jeffreys -- Madonnas and prima donnas: the representation of women in an Italian prisoner of war camp in South Africa / Donato Somma-- Necessity, the mother of invention: ingenuity in German prisoner of war camps / Peter Doyle -- Camp domesticity: shifting gender boundaries in WWI internment camps / Iris Rachamimov.
The importance of creativity behind barbed wire: setting a research agenda / Gilly Carr and Harold Mytum -- Creativity and narratives of survival. -- Wonder bar: music and theatre as strategies for survival in a Second World War POW hospital camp / Sears Eldredge -- "Spiritual vitamins": music in Huyton and central internment camps, May 1940-January 1941 / Suzanne Snizek -- Tins, tubes and tenacity: inventive medicine in camps in the Far East / Meg Parkes -- Creativity and the body: civilian internees in British Asia during the Second World War / Felicia Yap -- The arts of survival: remaking the inside spaces of Japanese American concentration camps / Jane Dusselier -- Narratives and counter-narratives of internment. -- In the distorted mirror: cartoons and photography of Polish and British POWs in Wehrmacht captivity / Anna Wickiewicz -- Souvenirs of internment: camp newspapers as a tangible record of a forgotten experience / Euan Mckay -- Deciphering dynamic networks from static images: First World War photographs at Douglas Camp / Harold Mytum -- Beyond collaboration and resistance: "Accommodation" at the Weihsien Internment Camp, China, 1943-1945 / Jonathan Henshaw -- "God save the king!" creative modes of protest, defiance and identity in Channel Islander internment camps in Germany, 1942-1945 / Gilly Carr --

BARFIELD - Nailsea
BRAKE - Nailsea
BURIATTE
CANDY - M'sex, Deptford
CLIFFORD - Maidstone
HALLS - Chigwell
MEYER - Lauenstein