Author Topic: Searching names Hawking/Roscrow/Wilson/Edgecombe/Allen  (Read 8933 times)

Offline Simon-Hawking

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Searching names Hawking/Roscrow/Wilson/Edgecombe/Allen
« on: Thursday 09 September 04 09:36 BST (UK) »
I have been researching my family tree on behalf of my father, who's not computer literate.

I can get back as far as 1844 for most generations, yet am having some difficulty going back further.

The names I am researching are:

Roscrow (Devon & Cornwall origins)
Hawking (Devon & Cornwall origins)
Henry Edgecombe (Devon & Cornwall origins?)
Alice Mary Wilson (Devon & Cornwall origins??)

I've been using www.onegreatfamily.com to help me, yet seem to be very stuck.

From the 1881 and 1901 census I have the following:

ROSCROW
Parents:
Thirza (ALLEN?) b1843 Hayle Cornwall
David Roscrow b1843 Hayle Cornwall

Children (varified from parish records and family bible):
*David Roscrow b1872 Hayle, Cornwall
Edgar J Roscrow b1875 Devonport
Joseph Badge Roscrow b1888 Devonport
Joseph Garfield Roscrow b1884 devonport
Eldred Roscrow b1881 devonport

From the 1881 census I can locate David (snr), Thirza, David (jnr) and Edgar as being in Stoke Damerel (later known as Devonport). I have an address for the census. By 1901 I can only locate Thirza, David (snr), Eldred and Joseph Garfield as still being in the Devonport Area.

*David Married a woman called Clara b1872 - surname unclear.

They had a Daughter called Lillian Clara b1908 (other children?), St Erth . I have data after this to present.

Hawking
Herbert Hawking b1877 Married Alice Mary Wilson b1889. Herbert appears to have been born in Callington(Sp?). After this the Hawking roots move to Devonport (Stoke Dameral) where they had my Grandfather Albert Edward and his Brother Alfred John.

Herbert had a sister called Mary. She married Henry Edgcombe. Dates are unknown for these, yet it is believed that there may be a connection to either Canada and/or Austrailia from this line of the Family.

I can't seem to trace earlier than this for any of these families.

Help appreciated.
Simon Hawking

Offline Simon-Hawking

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Searching names Hawking/Roscrow/Wilson/Edgecombe/Allen
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 09 September 04 14:09 BST (UK) »
Research on the 1891 census shows Eldred Roscrow being in a houshold in Penzance along with the family's Badge and Nicholas.  Whilst nearly all the namesakes were born in Cornwall, One was born in Middlesex.

I am looking for people with links to these names that have links to Cornwall between 1815 and 1891.

In particular the names Margary, Harold & Thirza Badge, and James H (Hodge?), Joseph, Margary & Fred Nicholas.  Fred appears to have been born ABT 1883 in Sheppards Bush, Middlesex.

Many Thanks,
Simon Hawking

Offline Simon-Hawking

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 10 September 04 14:38 BST (UK) »
The HAWKING line has run cold.

HAWKING lines I have traced link to Linkenhorne, Callington, Stoke Climsland, Devonport/Stoke Dameral and Pillaton.

Can anyone help me, or help with look ups between 1841 and 1881?

Many Thanks,
Simon Hawking

Offline Mozzie

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 14 September 04 13:28 BST (UK) »
Hi Simon,
I have some information on my Roscrow family - My great great grandmother was Elizabeth Roscrow born 1843 in Phillack in Cornwall.  As far as I know, her father was James Roscrow born 1809 in Phillack and her mother was Harriet Simmons born 1817 in Phillack.  James' father was Peter Roscrow born 1776 in Gwinear, Cornwall and his mother was Phillis Hammel born Phillack, Cornwall.  Peter's father was Thomas Roskrow born 1752 in Phillack and his mother was Elizabeth Couch born 1750.  These are two Elizabeth Roscrows that I have in the family tree.  I hope that you can make sense of this.
Kind Regards from Mozzie.
Poolman, Polden, Scratchley (Wiltshire/Somerset): Hutchens, Roscrow, Mann (Cornwall/St.Buryan): Bradshaw, Squires, Griffen, Griffin (Surrey/Battersea): Brown, Hedgley (Essex/Southend).  Also Bradshaw, Roscrow and Hutchens in Australia.

Offline Simon-Hawking

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 14 September 04 14:47 BST (UK) »
I have an Elizabeth, but born 1841 Phillack, Cornwall.  Daughter of Samuel ROSCROW and Emily RICHARDS.  Samuel's father was William ROSCROW and Ann (?)

I may have a link to Thomas and Elizabeth Couche.  They were Williams parents, as far as I can tell.  William was born somewhere between 1780 and 1790, which would mean (if they are related to Thomas and Elizabeth) we have some sort of match.  This line of the family keeps expanding, so I may find a sibling of someone I've found already may possibly link to you.

Do you have details on Peter and James (children etc)?  Do you have more details on your Elizabeth's siblings, or details of other Roscrows from 1816 onwards?

Simon.

Offline Mozzie

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 17 September 04 13:45 BST (UK) »
Hi Simon,
In reply to your last message - my Roscrow family tree was kindly given to me and I have not yet had the chance to verify all of the detail.  Just looking at the material that I already had of my own, all that I know is that my Elizabeth Roscrow was born somewhere between 1841 and 1845 (different documents have her born on different dates).  Maybe we have a common interest here but I just don't have the  data to make any definite matches and I don't know if she had brothers or sisters.   I have the feeling that we are on the same track but a lot more work by me will have to take place before I can give you definite names and dates.  I can't use the 1881 census as my Elizabeth immigrated to Australia and married Benjamin Hutchens (also from Cornwall) in 1868.  On their marriage certificate it states that Elizabeth's father is a James Roscrow, on her death certificate both her mother and father's name's are stated as being unknown.  As you can see I have a heap of work to do regarding the Roscrows.  There is a Paul Roskrow on the net who has extensive knowledge of the Roscrow/Roskrow families worldwide.  He is very willing to share his knowledge of the family tree with researchers.
Please contact me again if you can make a  match with my Elizabeth as she is still much of a mystery to me.  It would be just great to know more about her family - Elizabeth died in 1905 and is buried in the Kalgoorlie cemetery in West. Australia.

Regards from Amanda.
Poolman, Polden, Scratchley (Wiltshire/Somerset): Hutchens, Roscrow, Mann (Cornwall/St.Buryan): Bradshaw, Squires, Griffen, Griffin (Surrey/Battersea): Brown, Hedgley (Essex/Southend).  Also Bradshaw, Roscrow and Hutchens in Australia.

Offline Berlin-Bob

• Caretaker
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 17 September 04 14:47 BST (UK) »
Hi Simon, Hi Amanda,

I was just in freeCEN and noticed they had quite a good coverage for Cornwall.
So I typed in Roscrow, and found, in 1891

8 Records found

Surname   First name(s)   Rel   Status   Sex   Age   Occupation   Where born Census Place   
    ROSCROW   Eldred   Grnson   -   M   9   Scholar    Cornwall - St Erth   St Erth 
    ROSCROW   Emily Jane   Head   W   F   32   Dressmaker    Cornwall - Camborne   Camborne
    ROSCROW   Harriet   Head   W   F   71   Greengrocer(Em'ee)    Cornwall - Phillack   Camborne
    ROSCROW   John Henry   Son   S   M   2       Cornwall - Camborne   Camborne 
    ROSCROW   Louisa   Head   M   F   31       Cornwall - Penzance   St. Austell 
    ROSCROW   Mary J   Head   W   F   48   Dressmaker(Notem)    Cornwall - Newquay   St Columb Minor
    ROSCROW   Phillipa   Dau   S   F   28       Cornwall - Camborne   Camborne    
    ROSCROW   William James   Son   S   M   3       Cornwall - Camborne   Camborne

and in 1841:

39 Records found

Surname   First name(s)   Sex   Age   Occupation   Where Born   Census Place   
    ROSCROW   Ann   F   28       Cornwall    Phillack 
    ROSCROW   Ann   F   5   Child (Crossed Out)    Cornwall    Phillack           
    ROSCROW   Ann   F   14   Femal Servant    Cornwall    Phillack           
    ROSCROW   Ann   F   60       Cornwall    Phillack           
    ROSCROW   Ann   F   11       Cornwall    Redruth           
    ROSCROW   Catherine   F   15       Cornwall    Redruth           
    ROSCROW   Cecelia   F   13       Cornwall    Redruth           
    ROSCROW   Elizth.   F   6m       Cornwall    Phillack           
    ROSCROW   Emily   F   19       Cornwall    Phillack           
    ROSCROW   Harriet   F   20   Wife (Crossed Out)    Cornwall    Phillack           
    ROSCROW   Henry   M   25   Miner    Cornwall    Phillack           
    ROSCROW   James   M   25   Labourer    Cornwall    Phillack           
    ROSCROW   James   M   2   Child (Crossed Out)    Cornwall    Phillack           
    ROSCROW   James   M   30   Miner (Copper)    Cornwall    Redruth           
    ROSCROW   Jane   F   35       Cornwall    Redruth           
    ROSCROW   Jane   F   5       Cornwall    Redruth           
    ROSCROW   Jno   M   45   Miner    Cornwall    Redruth           
    ROSCROW   John   M   8       Cornwall    Redruth           
    ROSCROW   John   M   40   Ag Lab    Cornwall    Redruth           
    ROSCROW   Joseph   M   50   Miner    Cornwall    Gwennap And St Day           
    ROSCROW   Louisa   F   15   Lodger (Crossed Out)    Cornwall    Gwennap And St Day
    ROSCROW   Mary   F   20   Dress M.    Cornwall    Phillack           
    ROSCROW   Mary   F   55   Grocer    Cornwall    Redruth           
    ROSCROW   Mary   F   7       Cornwall    Redruth           
    ROSCROW   Mary   F   54   Independent    Cornwall    Redruth           
    ROSCROW   Mary   F   15   Copper Miner    Cornwall    Wendron           
    ROSCROW   Peter   M   7   Child (Crossed Out)    Cornwall    Phillack           
    ROSCROW   Phillipa   F   60   Ind    Cornwall    Phillack           
    ROSCROW   Samuel   M   24   Joiner    Cornwall    Phillack           
    ROSCROW   Thomas   M   32   Miner    Cornwall    St Just In Penwith           
    ROSCROW   Thomas   M   28   Copper Miner    Cornwall    Phillack           
    ROSCROW   Thomas   M   3   Child (Crossed Out)    Cornwall    Phillack           
    ROSCROW   Thomas   M   15   Apprentice    Cornwall    Redruth           
    ROSCROW   William   M   2m       Cornwall    Phillack           
    ROSCROW   William   M   60   Miner    Cornwall    Phillack           
    ROSCROW   William   M   30   Miner    Cornwall    Phillack           
    ROSCROW   William   M   20       Cornwall    Redruth           
    ROSCROW   William   M   5       Cornwall    Redruth           
    ROSCROW   Wm. Henry   M   7m       Cornwall    Phillack

Anybody you know ?

Good luck !
Any UK Census Data included in this post is Crown Copyright (see: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk)

Offline Simon-Hawking

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 17 September 04 15:06 BST (UK) »
The Eldred in 1891 could be mine.

From 1841, Emily (nee richards), Samuel and one of the William's seem to fit.

Offline Berlin-Bob

• Caretaker
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 17 September 04 15:18 BST (UK) »
could be mine, seems to fit ??

try freeCEN and look at the "household", maybe that will confirm them. 
It was v-e-r-y slow today, so I won't be going on again today.

Good Luck
Any UK Census Data included in this post is Crown Copyright (see: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk)