Author Topic: Resouse : Byrne  (Read 17182 times)

Offline cloke

• I am sorry but my email address is no longer working
  • RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Resouse : Byrne
« on: Thursday 15 December 05 05:33 GMT (UK) »
Tracing the Byrne Family from County Kilkenny. I have a Matthew born 1813 married a Bridget Kelly ,they had 4 children . Emigrated to Australia in 1864 ,with, 2 children I think ,William born 1838 ,John born 1846 , there was a Catherine and Thomas that may have stayed in Ireland . Have no parents for Matthew or Bridget .
Regards Cloke  ;D
Byrne, Lancaster, Jamieson , Jarry , Willoughby.

Offline ashenique

• RootsChat Member
  • Still searching
    • View Profile
Re: Resouse : Byrne
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 11 January 06 06:21 GMT (UK) »
Where in County Kilkenny - my Byrne were from Thomastown.
I have the family - but maybe a relative.
CHeers

Offline cloke

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 12 January 06 02:43 GMT (UK) »
All I have on Ireland is Co Kilkenny ,Ireland ,that means not a thing to me .I researched this byrne Family for a dear friend of mine , I got back as far Matthew born, abt 1813 ,married Bridget Kelly.They emigrated to Australia in 1849 on the British Empire 4A 92.. One of their children William also came out 1849 he married Sarah Byrne in Mansfield Victoria . They had 12 children ,the story goes on . I would love to hear from you again about the family you have ,you never know they may fit in together .
Cloke :o ???

Offline ashenique

• RootsChat Member
  • Still searching
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 05 February 06 06:17 GMT (UK) »
Sorry Cloke - a bit of a late reply.
My Byrne ancestors arrived in SA on the Victoria Regia in 1855 - it was Margaret Byrne (nee Cummins) and her son Francis Byrne. The husband and two children (siblings of Francis) died prior to departure. The father's name was James and the two children were Mary and William. It appears that James was a Doctor in Thomastown - no proof just oral history - and that all three succumbed to disease.
Margaret, came by way of free passage - she took on her dead daughters name for free passage and both her and her son appear as single on the passenger lists. Margaret's age is wrong on the passenger list. She died in SA, never remarried, and was remembered fondly by her grandchildren (my grandfather and his siblings) as a very determined Irish lady. She owned her own land in Australia - and could read and write so too Francis.
We have found baptism records for the children and marriage record for Margaret and James but alas that appears as far as I can go backwards. We have too many possibles for James in terms of baptisms and as for Margaret - two exist but are from different Parishes quite some distance from Thomastown.
In SA Francis and Margaret were integral in the Catholic Church in Snowtown - they assisted in raising many funds for the building and funding of the Parish. Interestingly it was a privilege given to Franics to name the Church in honour of his contribution. He chose St Canice's, presumably many years later when researching the history, since they were from Kilkenny and probably worshipped in Kilkenny, ST Canices. Turns out that they were from Thomastown and St Canice's was the seat of the Diocese.
Anyway that is about it.
Would be great to discuss these findings with your friend.
Let me know.
Ashe

Offline cloke

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 07 February 06 07:49 GMT (UK) »
Ashe I shall write this on behalf of my friend . His side of the Byrne Family came to Australia in 1842 Matthew married a Bridget Kelly in Ireland 2 sons came out also this is where it starts I son William married a Sarah Byrne they had 12 children the other son John married a Honorah Reardon they had 13 children . All these children were born in the Mansfield district Victora . I have tracked about 111 Family members .Most of them stayed in Mansfield ,Family  still there today . If you would like any more information please just let me know . My friend arrives at our home this Friday , he has not seen the tree I have got for him
Regards Annemarie . Cloke .

Offline ashenique

• RootsChat Member
  • Still searching
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 08 February 06 12:34 GMT (UK) »
Hi Annemarie (cloke)
Would be wonderful if we could make a connect - with pm you shortly.
Ashe

Offline heysue

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 26 September 09 08:39 BST (UK) »
I am also looking for Byrnes and Campions all born in Gargara, Kilkenny
Michael Campion 1836 and John Byrne 1836 both emigrated to New Zealand in about 1865, got land and farmed it.   John then sent for his sisters Anne 1843 and Mary 1845.  Michael Campion married Mary in 1871, Nelson, New Zealand.  They had two sons, William James and Michael John.  William is my grandfather.
I am having trouble finding parents for Michael Campion and John Byrne.
John also had a brother James who had two daughters.   From what I can gather, the Byrne and Campion families had farms side by side in Gargara.  I have persued Griffiths Valuation 1849-50 and found four or five families.  Still unable to connect to right family.  Can anyone help
Thanks
Heysue ;)

Offline cloke

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 26 September 09 09:40 BST (UK) »
The Byrne Family I was tracing all ended up  Mansfield Victotia Australia .
They did come from Ireland . Any Help .  ??? ???
Cloke

Offline heysue

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 26 September 09 09:56 BST (UK) »
I do know that a cousin spent time in the goldfields in Ballarat area Patrick and Ann Byrne, before coming and settling in Takaka, New Zealand.  Am unable to find out if there are any others that went with Michael Campion and John Byrne when they first left Ireland.  Apparantly, if they worked their passage they were not recorded in the ships manifest??  Can't even find out when they left or arrived in NZ.  Only that they got granted land, even fell short there as they did not register it.  Most of my info has come from will, death cert.  Marriage cert did not require parents name.
Sue