Author Topic: WRIGHT Family Killeevan and Clones  (Read 28253 times)

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: WRIGHT Family Killeevan and Clones
« Reply #27 on: Wednesday 08 September 10 21:37 BST (UK) »
http://www.irelandoldnews.com/Newry/1828/18280125.html

Quote; The unhappy man to whose enterprise in “Raising the Wind” we alluded in our last, as having obtained 300l. on a surreptitious bill at one of the Banks here, was taken into custody at Westport, through the active pursuit of Mr. Sutherland (upon whom he had imposed himself under the name of Mr. Nugent, M. P. and induced him to endorse the bill) and Mr. Chaytor, from the Bank --and was lodged in gaol here on Thursday morning. It is said that 500l. in such bills were found on him; that his real name is Wright, and that he is the son of a very respectable Clergyman in a Northern County ; he is about 29 years of age, and is understood to be a married man, and the father of two or three children.—Clonmel Constitution.

-------------------------------------------------

Death 1859  May 11, at Notting-hill, Mary, widow of the Rev. John WRIGHT, rector of Killcevan, county of Monaghan, aged 79.
Give a man a record and you feed him for a day.
Teach a man to research, and you feed him for a lifetime.

Offline ClaritateDextra

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Thursday 19 December 13 07:52 GMT (UK) »
Hi!
You might not believe this but I'm actually from the parish of Killeevan, my family have lived there for over four hundred years and I am actually neighbors with the Wright family. They are established landowners, exactly the class of people who produced protestant clergy, subsequently, they should also have a lot of their genealogy on record. If you wish, I could give you their address. You could write to them and ask for more information, I'm sure they wouldn't mind, they're lovely. By the way, they were always big landowners and they owned two corn mills and were the main patrons of the protestant church in the village so there should be loads on them. This is so funny, my family knows them very well, we're their Catholic counterparts in the parish and we have a long and interconnected history.

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Thursday 19 December 13 10:58 GMT (UK) »
Hi and welcome. I've done a lot of research since my last post on this thread. I know exactly where they live as I've passed it a few times but never had time to stop. My connection is back in early 1800's. Once  you have made 3 postings you then have the facility to send/receive private messages so I can message you then if that is OK.

Have a lovely Christmas...

Offline CNash

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Saturday 30 May 15 12:01 BST (UK) »
Readers here may be interested to know, if they don’t already, that on the 5th of November 1857 notice was published in the Dublin Evening Packet and Correspondent that the Irish land commissioners had ordered the sale of the estate of Lisabuck in County Monaghan.  Lisabuck, having for decades been in the hands of Rev. John Wright of Killeevan when he died in 1847, was now regarded in law as the property of William Nixon Wright.

As we know, for good reasons Wright was never to return to Ireland under his own name to claim Lisabuck.  So the commissioners, having learned from a ‘petitioner’ that the estate had for 10 years now been held by an absentee landlord (and was quite possibly heavily encumbered with debt), had determined to place the property on the open market.  This they were famously entitled to do under current Irish land law, so long as the remaining ‘Owners’ were publicly invited, as they were in the notice I’ve mentioned, to post their objections or claims prior to its sale.

My immediate interest is in these ‘owners’. Two of those named were William Nixon Wright’s sister Caroline Wright and her husband John Shaw; a third was solicitor and wealthy land speculator, John Litton; and along with them was Rev. Richard Hastings Graves.  Graves, the ‘petitioner’ who had requested that the estate be sold so that its owners and creditors could recover its value, was the surviving executor of John Brinkley, the erstwhile Bishop of Cloyne (d. 1835). John Litton, as a close acquaintance of the Bishop, had in the will attested to the Bishop’s handwriting.

But two more ‘Owners’ were named: Thomas Perring Tipper and his wife Catherine Emily Tipper.

This last couple lived for two decades in what happens now to be my house in Dartmouth, Devon (England).  Thomas Tipper, son of a sailmaker in the same building, was among other things both the landlord of the Marine Tavern next door and for 13 years the Harbormaster of this medieval and still vibrant port. When at 48 in 1870 he died of apoplexy at the Tavern, the ships in the harbor lowered their flags to half mast. Catherine herself carried on as the publican a year or two more, and died in 1876.

How did Catherine come to be a co-owner of Lisabuck (and what may have brought her to England?). Born around 1816, in 1871 as ‘head’ she told the census-taker she was from County Monaghan.  She was a contemporary of and quite possibly related to Rev. John Wright’s children — perhaps a younger sister or a cousin of William Nixon, Caroline, Elizabeth and John Jr.  But she may have been a Shaw, or of the Nixon family after whom her brother was named, or she may have been a descendent of the family of their mother Mary. (It is almost certainly through Mary Sloane that the Wrights came into possession of Lisabuck.  From 1667 its holders had been the Bradshaw family until 2 September 1774, when Isabella Bradshaw — the tenth and youngest of the children of the last line and among 5 brothers without male heirs — married John Sloane, who lived on at Lisabuck for the next quarter-century.)

And there is the intriguing puzzle as to what if any relationship the Wrights may have had to Bishop John Brinkley, and/or to the petitioner Richard Hastings Graves — who was, after all, a brother-in-law of two of the Bishops’ children. Just after John Wright had become rector and vicar of Killeevan, the Bishop was for a time rector of Clones, 4 miles from there and 3 miles from Lisabuck.  His son John Jr was curate of Contibret, Co. Monaghan, where Rev. John Wright had been vicar before taking up the living at Killeevan — and there may be still more intimate connections between the families. It is possible that, since until the 1858 sale Lisabuck had been held by fee-farm and ‘under lease for ever’, it may be either the Brinkleys or the Church of Ireland that had truly ‘owned’ the estate.

A year after the publication of the notice of intention to sell, on 26 November 1858 the lands of Lisabuck, ‘desirably situated’, ‘of superior quality’, and clearly at the center of a lush social web, were purchased by another solicitor, Mr. J. H. Nunn — in trust for the Bishop’s close associate John Litton. 

I’d be grateful for any information leading to the discovery of the whereabouts of Catherine Emily Tippers’ place in it all.  Was she a Sloane? a Shaw? a Brinkley? a Graves? a Nixon? a Litton?  Has anyone another name that fits her better? I’m sure she wasn’t Wrong, but was she a Wright?

Cris

Offline SSlh

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Saturday 13 June 15 02:49 BST (UK) »
I am very interested in the information above as it is said my WRIGHT family owned corn mills. Is it possible to ask if they have any information on a Dr John Wright  who died in 1823 in Bailieborough where he practised. There is a possibility he had a son, also a doctor, Dr William Wright, and definitely a daughter Jane who married the Rev James Gibson about 1798.
Many thanks for any information given.

Offline SSlh

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Wednesday 19 April 17 13:39 BST (UK) »
Very interested to hear from ClaritateDextra as I have been searching for information on my 4th great grandfather Dr John Wright MD. He died on the 14th of March 1823 in Bailieborough, but he was originally from a member of an "ancient family of Wright in County Monaghan". They owned mills of some sort. Any information very greatly appreciated. My search enters it's 50th year!

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile

Offline SSlh

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Wednesday 19 April 17 14:15 BST (UK) »
Thank you so much for those very special glimpses of something that I have only heard about. Is there any history or facts out there about the Wright family who lived here? Would love to learn as much as I can about its history.

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Wednesday 19 April 17 15:34 BST (UK) »
They are a branch of the Golagh Wrights

http://archiseek.com/2012/gola-house-co-monaghan/